Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Headshot wrote: »
    Bit of a joke waiting that long for DX 11
    While it certainly depends on when they started working on the DirectX 11 branch, if it was November as suggested and they're taking full advantage of the improvements in the API it's certainly not an unfair amount of time to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Goddamn, I spent like 30 minutes on a hard part near the end of the game. Killed like 1000 enemies, walked a little then one of those white weak aliens stabbed me in the back, and I have to do it all over again :( Insta quit

Crappy save system ftl!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ye the save system is crap. Is it really that hard to implement a quicksave? I hate replaying bits over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ye the save system is crap. Is it really that hard to implement a quicksave? I hate replaying bits over and over.

Consoles don't do quicksave

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Consoles don't do quicksave
    Consoles games choose not to do them actually, they're perfectly possible.

From a gameplay perspective, I think a well thought out checkpoint system is far better than allowing the player to quicksave. The ability to just hit quicksave and mindlessly throw yourself into battle knowing there is no consequence can be a slight immersion breaker. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

gizmo wrote: »

From a gameplay perspective, I think a well thought out checkpoint system is far better than allowing the player to quicksave. The ability to just hit quicksave and mindlessly throw yourself into battle knowing there is no consequence can be a slight immersion breaker. :)

Not for me, having to play the same thing over and over again breaks the immersion.

Not for me, having to play the same thing over and over again breaks the immersion.
    Well I did say a well designed checkpoint system, having to fight your way through a massive battle and then get killed cheaply wouldn't really count. :)

gizmo wrote: »

I agree, I don't want quicksave either, it can ruin a game when you overuse it....and you always do. But the checkpoints in Crysis are just too far apart, it ruins the experience for Me, it needs quicksave because the checkpoints aren't well thought out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is the demo up on the psn store?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Think I'm just over half way through, and am really enjoying it.

The voice acting is hilariously bad, although I don't blame the voice actors with the abomination of a script they've been given to work with. If one more character finishes a sentence with 'man' I'm going to scream. The story is pretty generic sci-fi fluff.

Apart from that Crytek have really outdone themselves, and while I never played the original, I have been unfortunate enough to play the steaming pile of dog poo that was Farcry.

Playing on PC with the settings maxed, it is simply beautiful and runs silky smooth. While artistically it may be a bit generic, I haven't played a game that makes combat so wonderful to watch!

Its an incredibly visceral experience destroying groups of enemies with the kick-ass weapon's, in particular the shotgun. It may get a bit repetitive by the end though, hopefully the second half is a varied as the first.

• Advertisement

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Apart from that Crytek have really outdone themselves, and while I never played the original, I have been unfortunate enough to play the steaming pile of dog poo that was Farcry.

FarCry or FarCry2?
    1st FarCry was Crytek, second wasn't anything to do with them. Most people who played FarCry wouldn't describe it as dog poo. It was never on console either, consoles got FarCry Instincts and Evolution, neither by Crytek
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Cry

Far_Cry_Coverart.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

FarCry or FarCry2? 1st was crytek, second wasn't anything to do with them. Most people who played FarCry wouldn't describe it as dog poo

brilliant right until Monkeys came into it. The it went into dog poo territory.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    brilliant right until Monkeys came into it. The it went into dog poo territory.

Like first Crysis with the aliens, I loved it up till then

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

FarCry or FarCry2?
    1st FarCry was Crytek, second wasn't anything to do with them. Most people who played FarCry wouldn't describe it as dog poo. It was never on console either, consoles got FarCry Instincts and Evolution, neither by Crytek
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Cry

Yeah I meant the original, one game I tried to convince myself was fun. It just wasn't. Broken checkpoint system, unforgivably difficult, and incredibly repetitive.

One of the few first person shooter's that I wished was shorter, even if it ended up around the 5 hour mark which seems to be the standard these days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I newer had love to farcry too... I was newer in to all this jungle stuff... Game it self was meh too... As far as first on goes, it was interesting in the first part of the game.

**** hit the fan when you spent rest of the game in that **** alien ship...

I think crytek should make a game with only human enemies.

Aliens and monkeys have been the reasons i dont like their games. And really dont like that i can run crysis 2 on highest settings without a lend of a pc from NASA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

The save system is wrecking my head, has been since the 2nd half of the game. I just wana finish the fcuking thing now and throw it away. Rant over

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Steam appear to have installed and then immediatley revoked the 1.2 patch, it appears that Valve may have jumped the gun accidently as no versions of the game from other sources got updated. At least it means patch 2 is imminent.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Steam appear to have installed and then immediatley revoked the 1.2 patch, it appears that Valve may have jumped the gun accidently as no versions of the game from other sources got updated. At least it means patch 2 is imminent.

Added monkeys i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

I newer head love to farcry too... I wasnewer in to all this jungle stuff... Game ur self was meh too... As far as first on goes, it was interestin in tue first part of the game. Shut hit the fan when you spent rest of the game in that **** alien ship...

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Loco wrote: »
    :confused:

Sorry about that.that was the Last time I use mobile version of boards.ie.
    I can't see a a thing what I wrote as text is tiny.

then spellchecker has an amazing versions of words I tried to write lol. Spell checker on this fecking phone does more harm then help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Has anyone had a problem with the menu music going really distorted and high bass?

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Has anyone had a problem with the menu music going really distorted and high bass?

get that during the load screens when Hargreaves or Gould is talking.

Quite a lot actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It has been said umpteen times I know - but the save system . . . fml!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Taking screenshots of Colonel Barclay (think thats his name?) and its clear that the person designing his facial animation had a bit of fun.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/112552760-4.jpg
    http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/112552487-4.jpg
    http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/112549532-4.jpg

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I think crytek should make a game with only human enemies.

Aliens and monkeys have been the reasons i dont like their games. And really dont like that i can run crysis 2 on highest settings without a lend of a pc from NASA.

Crysis 1 was fantastic until the aliens bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Wow this game is just terrible. Original farcry was awesome, then Crysis one was very pretty, but now this ****. A great sign of the times, dumbing down graphics, gameplay, options so tards can play it on consoles. Such a disappointment, nothing else to look forward to now except another **** modern warfare thats exactly the same as the last one except you can throw a knife, which is essentially.. another gun. WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'm loving Crysis 2 so far. I was a bit unsure about it at the start, but after an hour into the game I got hooked. The graphics look great on the PS3. The AI is generally good (except when they go trigger happy with grenades on their own team). I've seen a fair few bugs, but nothing that takes away from the enjoyment of the game. I love the way you can customise your guns on the fly - I've always thought more shooters need to use a similar feature.

Great gameplay, great soundtrack, amazing visuals - and I still haven't touched the multiplayer. So far its my GOTY.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So FarCry and Crysis let you run wild in the jungle and I was expecting a similar experience in the concrete jungle. You could take your time, plan your route, quickload and iterate. You could hop in any vehicle and race across the map if necessary.

Instead Crysis 2 is a highly linear corridor shooter with the occasional small open area where you're told exactly what to do. The city itself is completely off limits apart from the narrow path they scream at you to hurry through which is full of ugly textures and overly reused assets. I swear I ran through that diner every ten minutes. I guess trees are easier to reuse.

Crysis 1 and Warhead also had FAR better acting. for example:

MAXIMUM SPOLIERS

Crysis 2 is straight out of the **** Yeah Team America school of acting.

If EA are so obsessed in beating Activision at their own game can they please just abuse a new IP and leave existing IP alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

5uspect wrote: »
    Hehe, I remember cracking up at that cutscene when I played the game... 12 seconds in!:p

About as well written and emotionally involving as a loaf of bread, much like almost every other cutscene in the game I just used it as a chance to marvel at the graphics/take a leak/make a cuppa before I got back to the murdering

Advertisement