Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

barn finds

Options
  • 10-02-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Any boardsies responsible for some memorable barn finds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Heres some that come under that catagory..

85a614d0.jpg

PB211160.jpg

Datsun100a_27years_idle.jpg

Image982.jpg

058.jpg

Image754.jpg

Image768.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

cantdecide wrote: »
    Any boardsies responsible for some memorable barn finds?

Most memorable one for me was a Merc 300 SL gullwing out of a hayshed in co. Kerry about 20 years ago, the car was a German registered one owned locally that crashed 10 years previously and towed into the shed and sat there until I found out about it and bought it. I'll see if I can find some photos of it.

Ali Babba wrote: »
    Most memorable one for me was a Merc 300 SL gullwing out of a hayshed in co. Kerry about 20 years ago, the car was a German registered one owned locally that crashed 10 years previously and towed into the shed and sat there until I found out about it and bought it. I'll see if I can find some photos of it.
    One of the Leibherr people had one of those to the best of my knowledge, though im not sure if it was in Ireland. Pics would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

I know of an Aston martin DB6 mk1 languishing in a shed in southest,hasnt
    moved in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Is that not a db5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

Peerless_GT2.JPG

Found a Peerless GT like above in a shed when I went to look at an Austin A35 for sale near where I live in Galway about 10 years ago.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Is that not a db5?

its a DB6 alright,have pics somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

68deville wrote: »
    its a DB6 alright,have pics somewhere

DB6 in Wexford?
    DB5 in Wicklow?

There are Astons tucked away, some of them pointlessly awaiting better times.

DB6 in Wexford?
    DB5 in Wicklow?

There are Astons tucked away, some of them pointlessly awaiting better times.
    Wasnt there pics of an irish one sticking out of a shed posted here a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Wasnt there pics of an irish one sticking out of a shed posted here a few years back?

Thats right, NZE 800, DB5 in Wicklow.
    A good few Aston Martins were Wicklow residents.

• Advertisement

i will try and root out some pics of the DB6,its in a sorry state as of
    last year,somebody has had a go at trying to do some bodywork!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

kkkkkk it may not be vintage but it is a classic..... in my eyes anyways... dis regards some of the after market bumper bonnet etc... returning it to stock.... renault 5 gt turbo !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Heres some that come under that catagory..

85a614d0.jpg

Thats like a glimpse of the top of a nice stocking leg.............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

1962 VW T1 van found in a shed near Frankfurt, all mechanics seized but the body was fine apart from the roof. Did a full resto, replaced the roof with a Samba one. Whilst getting parts I found a 68 Beetle Cabrio, (no glass, no roof or interior) in a scrapyard. It would have been crushed within a day or two. Did a full resto on this.

Went with a friend to his grannys mates house near Heidelberg, it had a 1951 Brezel Beetle there that hadnt been moved or started in over 35 years. We changed the oil and spark plugs, cranked her up and she started first time.

Best find was a 1959 Mercedes 190SL that I found parked on top of a shipping container in a house in Luanda, Angola in 1997. Hadn't been moved since 1975 but it had almost no rust. Shipped it to Germany, too much work for me so I sold it. Mercedes in Stuttgart were very helpful about finding out about the origins of the car as it had no paperwork. They have an office devoted to classics.

Its pretty surprising what Africa has on old classics lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Austin 1300GT that myself and my Dad rescued from a garage after it had been off the road for 27 years

SDC10159.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Hey
    Bijapos, you get around,

Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

rugbyman wrote: »
    Hey
    Bijapos, you get around,

Rugbyman

I still do :)

IMG_3399.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I came across this priceless barn find in Ennis a couple of months ago. :p

2qipphc.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I came across this priceless barn find in Ennis a couple of months ago. :p

2qipphc.jpg

Asplain please?:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I know of an 86' sierra xr4 burried under a pile of industrial waterproofing materials at the back of a house around by wicklow gap. It's white with a blue strip around it. Abit of rust here and there but far from rotten. Saw it only a week ago while with a friend collecting an antique fireplace which he bought from the owner of the Sierra. He said he had the car since 1988' but it has not been driven since 97' because of the jump in rd tax as she is a
    2.9L! Pitty as it's an epic looking thing aching to get back on the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭3nero

My barn find (kinda*)

From this.....

IMG_1870.jpg

To this.....

IMG_5905.jpg

* I left it there in the first place :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RossDonegan

mondeo wrote: »
    I know of an 86' sierra xr4 burried under a pile of industrial waterproofing materials at the back of a house around by wicklow gap. It's white with a blue strip around it. Abit of rust here and there but far from rotten. Saw it only a week ago while with a friend collecting an antique fireplace which he bought from the owner of the Sierra. He said he had the car since 1988' but it has not been driven since 97' because of the jump in rd tax as she is a
    2.9L! Pitty as it's an epic looking thing aching to get back on the road..

Is it for sale, can you find out ? Would be interested if its not too rotten. Would be restored not scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

3nero wrote: »
    My barn find (kinda*)

From this.....

IMG_1870.jpg

To this.....

IMG_5905.jpg

* I left it there in the first place :pac:

is that a dharma initiative logo on the front? looks like a great ol van!

shineon23 wrote: »

Yes :o

I made it and stuck it on there as an "in joke". all the vans on the island had one. it was cheaper than buying a proper VW badge :P

I was totally expecting it to get nicked but 2 years later and it's still on there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

I saw that at a garage in bray last week and was wondering if it was a dharma initiative logo. :lol:

Nice van!

is that a dharma initiative logo

Quirky, but cool!

stoneruile wrote: »
    I saw that at a garage in bray last week and was wondering if it was a dharma initiative logo. :lol:

Nice van!

Finally!!.......evidence that my van has a life of it's own...I always suspected it was getting up to no good when i wasn't looking...and what's even more surprising is, i took the engine out 2 weeks ago and haven't put it back in yet :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

might have been longer than last week but i definitely remember seeing it. Do you be around bray at all?

Advertisement