Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give Blood!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Key phrase is 'for a while'. So if my understanding of this is correct I can give blood 4 months after my most recent tattoo even though I am diabetic? I always thought that my diabetes ruled me out from being eligible to give blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

I'm a regular blood donor, donated platelets a few times, but had a few complications so I'm back to whole blood for a while. I encourage everyone I know to give blood or at least see if they're eligible. I think everyone that can, should donate. Have given 10 donations now, don't find them building up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

pithater1 wrote: »
    Key phrase is 'for a while'. So if my understanding of this is correct I can give blood 4 months after my most recent tattoo even though I am diabetic? I always thought that my diabetes ruled me out from being eligible to give blood.
    If you do the quiz on the IBTS website and answer that you are taking medication it tells you:
    "Unfortunately, you are unable to give blood if you are taking medication for some conditions such as for a heart condition or diabetes."

http://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Give_Blood/Can_I_Give_Blood/Can_I_Give_Blood_answer_10.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

I’m in tomorrow for a platelets donation. Just got the “Gentle Reminder” text from them. Makes me laugh every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'm not allowed either, by virtue of the fact I lived in the UK for a while during the 80's.

Same here, I lived in the UK in the late 80s/early 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

They won't take mine because of my long term monogamous relationship with another woman.

plus (and this is completely reasonable...) I never have 4 months between tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Finally got a moment to get in today to give blood, brought my mate in but he couldn't give as he is a year long prescription for asthma. Was great to see so many people in there and so many people roughly my own age (18,19,20) going in for the 1st time.

In and out in about an hour.

2 donations down, 98 to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

I gave my second donation last night. Hopefully I can give a 3rd donation by the time I am 19 in June.

Very simple and easy. Drink plenty of water if possible before it, if you want the donation to go faster. It took me a mere 4 minutes to donate the 470ml. After giving, the feeling is amazing! I am a very very proud member of Ireland's most extraordinary club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

double GG wrote: »
    I gave my second donation last night. Hopefully I can give a 3rd donation by the time I am 19 in June.

Fairplay man, hoping to reach by 3rd donation by June and 4th donation before I'm 21 in October.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Clinic is in Enniscorthy for the next 2 days\eveining.
    In the Riverside Park Hotel. 4.30pm to 8.00pm

They had a good turn out on sunday about 140
    Last night there was about 30 in before me and i was out at 6.30 so i would say they had about 60-70 last night

didnt get my pencil last night :(
    Given 14 times now. or 15 not sure while. It said on my sheet 14 times, but dont know if it had alreay included last night on it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I can't because apparently I've got mad cow disease as a result of being born in the UK. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »
    I should start, I'm sure there is a clinic around here somewhere

Duno my blood type though

i went in november...
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Clinic is in Enniscorthy for the next 2 days\eveining.
    In the Riverside Park Hotel. 4.30pm to 8.00pm

They had a good turn out on sunday about 140
    Last night there was about 30 in before me and i was out at 6.30 so i would say they had about 60-70 last night

didnt get my pencil last night :(
    Given 14 times now. or 15 not sure while. It said on my sheet 14 times, but dont know if it had alreay included last night on it or not.
    We don't usually like when people bring back old threads :mad: but give blood folks! :)
    http://www.giveblood.ie/ has current locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I used to give blood and answered all questions on form and from docs honestly

all was grand for a few years till i was in Letterkenny giving blood and went to sign up for the marrow one too (think it was marrow)

Anyway girl comes round and starts asking me all the same kinda questions again

HER - "Are you allergic to anything?"
    ME - "Bad Hayfever, Athsma as a kid and allergic to nuts too"

she freaks and asks did i tell anyone this before giving blood and i said aye.

So now turns out that as they are not sure how a nut allergy could get passed they can't take my blood in case someone became allergic after the transfusion!

so for 5 or so years despite saying i was allegic to nuts they still took my blood. So if anyone out there got a b+ transfusion and developed a nut allergy then sorry!

*Rang them up a few times since to see if can give it again and still no

Oh i see this is a bump well can i just say that if anyone is wondering the process is a piece of piss.

Never had a bad experience in there and although it can be a bit daunting the docs and nurses are really nice and they will sit with you when you are giving blood and there is tea and biscuits after too!

And you never know who you could help!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I work full time so could go and give blood at the weekend, but the clinic doesn't open saturday or sunday.. or Friday afternoons. So feck this, I'm going to get another piercing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Posy wrote: »
    I work full time so could go and give blood at the weekend, but the clinic doesn't open saturday or sunday.. or Friday afternoons. So feck this, I'm going to get another piercing. :(

Lunch break?

you could always chat to them and ask becuase you have to go back to work can you skip a few places in the queue?

If not bring a book and call it PTO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Donated last week and flew through the process. First time I've been there when it was quiet.

Had to wait an extra month before donating as I had started using a topical gel (for appearance purposes), which isn't allowed. I didn't realise because it's some derivative of something or any other, which I would never have figured out.

Fair dues to them at giveblood.ie they really check out everything in great detail.

I always knew it was important to donate, but it didn't hit home until a very sick family member who has needed transfusions, thanked me for donating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I don't donate, the vampires have enough to keep them going for a while. Premium stuff, too.

Actually I'm not allowed. Got a transfusion in the 80's and I'm banned from giving it. Makes sense, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Posy wrote: »

You sure? I brought my wife to the one at stillorgan before at 6 in the evening and they weren't closing yet, there was my wife an another 2 there waiting to go. Il also mention on that occasion I was going to do it but saw the needles and blood coming from her and the nurse started asking me if I was alright did I want a sandwich :) I went really pale and felt dizzy just from lookin at it but I can handle blood so don't know what happened that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Would love to be able to donate but can't as I am on medication.
    would love to know what blood type I am though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Do they still give you a bottle of Guinness? :)

Supposed to help your iron levels

Read the thread, its been mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Would love to but they're pretty anal about being over a certain weight and the only time I'd ever be over that is if I was pregnant, which they won't take either, coupled with anaemia. Raging too cause I have o - blood which I was told is the special blood!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

im A+ so ill drop into D'olier street on the way home this even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I used to be a blood donor, even got a Golden Pelican in Ireland, but alas am no longer eligible to donate. A little over a year ago, though, I was glad to receive several transfusions when I badly needed them. My eternal thanks to my benefactors, the anonymous donors.:)

Back in 1997 Ireland issued a series of Dracula stamps in honour of Bram Stoker, see here: http://semety.bravehost.com/Vampires%20Site/Irish%20Dracula%20Stamps.jpg

It was coincidence, probably, but around the same time the slogan printed with postmarks in the Dublin area was: "Blood donors save lives.":D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ElleEm wrote: »
    Read the thread, its been mentioned.

Some say it's offered, some say it is not

And the thread is over a year old, policies change and that is why I asked

It's not like this thread started today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Confab wrote: »
    Actually I'm not allowed. Got a transfusion in the 80's and I'm banned from giving it. Makes sense, right?
    Total sense

otherwise you get a feedback loop,

that's how mad-cow disease became a problem, each time they put stuff back through the system the disease got amplified :(

according to this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt%E2%80%93Jakob_disease#Blood_donor_restrictions most of the EU/US/Oz/NZ won't take blood from people who have lived in the UK , and even the UK don't use UK blood for blood products.

Here's why http://www.cjd.ed.ac.uk/TMER/fate.htm :(

You could donate next time you are visiting the UK ;)

not sure if http://www.nibts.org will take your blood but it's not that far away either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

I would like to thank all you blood & blood products donors, you saved my life :)

(pity I can not now donate myself as I have received a transfusion)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bluewolf wrote: »
    i went in november...
    :cool:

Did you ever find out your bloodtype?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Nope, can't- ghey, low iron count and lived in Engerland. Sickened, I want to and have rare blood- AB negative.

Fussy bitches they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm RH O neg. My dad was as well and he used to get a call the odd time to donate if he forgot to go in for regular donations.

I can't donate til the whole lived in UK at some point 80's-90's thing gets sorted. But last time I donated in UK when visiting they filled up all these little teeny tiny bags so my blood could be donated to newborns as it's the only blood type they can use for that & A&E casulaties.

One time I went for a jog a night or two after donating, bit mistake - nearly collapsed, don't try it. Leave it a good few days or even a week before attempting major cardio after donating.

Advertisement