Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give Blood!

Options
  • 10-02-2011 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

Me and my Mam both got phonecalls today off the Irish Blood Transfusion Service saying they're very low on A positive reserves (both of us at A+) and really need some. Needless to say, I'm sure they'd be very happy with any blood type.

There's 9 clinics tomorrow in Ireland, 2 on Friday, 7 on Monday, 9 on Tuesday and 8 on Wednesday, one of those times must suit you, and think about the life/lives you could save by giving up an hour and a half of your day. There's no pain involved aside from a tiny pinch when the needle goes in, so there's no excuse on that side of things imo.

Clinics and times can be found here http://www.giveblood.ie/

And for people who've never given people check here if you can http://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Give_Blood/Can_I_Give_Blood/

And yes my Mam is going in tomorrow to give blood and I'm heading in on Tuesday (poxy college/work).

Oh and can we not have a debate over why Gay people can't give blood, and all that malarky, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You know who else liked blood? Hitler. Just sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm not allowed, the IBTS are a picky bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Drakula was fond of a sup of blood too.

Honestly I don't even know what blood type I am but I will check it out & start giving. Something I've been meaning to do for ages but I keep forgetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Id love to but im pregnant...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm not allowed either, by virtue of the fact I lived in the UK for a while during the 80's.

Shame, as I have quite a rare blood group and would only love to share some of it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

That's weird, considering it's the 2nd most common blood type in Ireland...

Also, if they stuck full time clinics in places like galway city, instead of one every 5-6 weeks I'm sure they might actually get a lot more.

AFAIK I'm A Rh-, so fairly rare... 5% or so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's about the only thing FF haven't gotten off me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ascuteasabutton

I'm not allowed either...who knew you had to be a certain weight to give blood..not me til the first time I tried to give it,got through the million questions they ask only to be told at the very end I was under weight...grrrrrrrr!!!!!
    As it turns out I now have a serious medical condition so will never be able to give it which is a pain in the ass... but I encourage anyone that can give blood to do so as people like me really appreciate it when we need it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Wanted to at Xmas at home but I was as sick as a dog, next time they're around I'll be in college.

Definitely agree about a permanent clinic in places like Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Id love to but im pregnant...

I'd love to but i'm Gay !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I donate platelets every 4 weeks or so, so won't be donating blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

pff.. prostitutes. and proof all these 'services' just wanna suck you dry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm not allowed, the IBTS are a picky bunch.

They won't allow me either. Bastards. Something about unprotected anal sex with a CJD infected Thai prostitute whilst injecting malarial mosquitoes into my veins. Picky feckers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I donate blood at least once a month. It's just that it's not my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Honestly I don't even know what blood type I am but I will check it out & start giving. Something I've been meaning to do for ages but I keep forgetting.

When you give blood, you're sent out a sort of "credit card" that has your blood type on it. So cuts out the middle man for you.;)
    That's weird, considering it's the 2nd most common blood type in Ireland...

Also, if they stuck full time clinics in places like galway city, instead of one every 5-6 weeks I'm sure they might actually get a lot more.

Obviously a supply and demand problem.

I'd say it costs a hell of a lot to run the clinics tbh, hence why Dublin seems to have the only full time one as it has a quarter of the population at it's doorstep. Last time I was there, there was a doctor, 4 nurses, and a secretary, take in it opens at from 11 till 7 most days that's a fair amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Plumbers

Can't give blood either as I was in UK during the mad cow thingy. Don't need a beefburger to class me as a mad cow.

I always gave blood in the UK, still carry my blood donor card with me. If ever i'd come across a blood donation while shopping in N.I., i would donate.

Isn't it time they reviewed the rules?

TheZohan wrote: »
    I donate platelets every 4 weeks or so, so won't be donating blood.

Well if everyone that could either donated blood every 3 months or platelets everys 4 weeks we wouldn't have a shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I give blood every 3 months.However they could increase supplies by opening on Saturdays.

Plumbers wrote: »
    Isn't it time they reviewed the rules?

Yup, really needs to change imo. Saying that I'd say it's a minority who can't donate though yet we still have shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've donated blood twice now. I will continue to do so as frequently as possible. It's not a big ask of me (living in Dublin) for something that can save someone's life.
    Can you donate platelettes if you're a blood donor? What about bone marrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd say it costs a hell of a lot to run the clinics tbh, hence why Dublin seems to have the only full time one as it has a quarter of the population at it's doorstep. Last time I was there, there was a doctor, 4 nurses, and a secretary, take in it opens at from 11 till 7 most days that's a fair amount.

Why not put it in UHG or something similar? There's loads of doctors and nurses there...

Dublin may have a quarter of the population on its doorstep, but if you're only getting a minute amount out of that, it's a pretty bad reason tbh.

Galway is a lot easier to get around than dublin - put something in the hospital and you've 17000 potential donors across the road, and that's only the students (who most more than likely would if there was a local clinic) - there's still the rest of galway city population.... but that's just the way I'd see it.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I've donated blood twice now. I will continue to do so as frequently as possible. It's not a big ask of me (living in Dublin) for something that can save someone's life.

Fairplay. As the nurse told me the last time I was in giving blood, it's usually when something happens that affects you that people then go and give blood. In my case it was other peoples donated blood which helped keep my brother alive, and for this me, my mam and dad all have given blood since and plan to reguarly as I've already said.

Why not put it in UHG or something similar? There's loads of doctors and nurses there...

Dublin may have a quarter of the population on its doorstep, but if you're only getting a minute amount out of that, it's a pretty bad reason tbh.

Galway is a lot easier to get around than dublin - put something in the hospital and you've 17000 potential donors across the road, and that's only the students (who most more than likely would if there was a local clinic) - there's still the rest of galway city population.... but that's just the way I'd see it.

Good point, might be an idea to have full-time blood banks in main cities/towns that have hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's either or, you can't donate both. Regarding bone marrow; when you're in donating platelets you can ask to be put on the bone marrow list. I'm on it myself, all they do is take an extra blood sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

my only problem is i like tattos and i like giving blood. has been a while for both to happen but about a month before christmas i gave my second donation. am going to wait until i give it again before i get a new tattoo. cause i'm thoughtful like that. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ricardo G wrote: »
    I'd love to but i'm Gay !!
    Of course you can donate blood if you are Gay.

But people (of either sex) who have sex with men who have anal sex with other men can't. It's to do with risk of infection because of sexual practices rather than sexual preference.

If you can't understand the difference then IMHO you fall into the category of "people who desire to be offended"

For years I couldn't give blood.
    I won't be able to give blood again until September.
    The rules change as the evidence on the risks changes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Next time you are donating you can fill in the form to go on the register for bone marrow. Unless you are a genetic match to a recipient you won't ever be called.

People with AB can't donate platelets due to antibodies or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm not sure when I can give blood again...I'm not sure if it's been 3 months yet, I gave when we had all that ice and snow and there was a shortage due to all the injuries from slips and falls on the ice. I'm assuming they'll remind me like they did the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

no clinic in galway city til the end of march. it's one of the things i've meant to do, my brother's always harping on me to go. must go, it'll stop him pestering :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fair play gav

Advertisement