Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in karma?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

bluewolf wrote: »
    No, it isnt. It's a bastardised western version of karma, but that's not it.

I don't know why I bother
    :confused: Just answer the question, do you believe in karma. I didn't say I was an expert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

:confused: Just answer the question, do you believe in karma. I didn't say I was an expert

Okay yes, I believe in karma. I don't believe in "what goes around comes around" or "I was mean to someone so my car broke"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

bluewolf wrote: »
    Okay yes, I believe in karma. I don't believe in "what goes around comes around" or "I was mean to someone so my car broke"

Do you mean as in Cause and Effect type belief or something different, not really sure what you mean and would like to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Grasshoppa

I don't think it's provable one way or the other, but where it works as a personal moral code, I wouldn't discourage anyone from believing in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Do you mean as in Cause and Effect type belief or something different, not really sure what you mean and would like to know :)

Yep, action = karma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_in_Buddhism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Karma's probably a load of sh1te but I think it's a good way to live life! Why not be nice to people if you've no good reason not to be? God, I sound like Barney or something. I don't necessarily believe in karma but it kind of crosses my mind when I'm about to be evil and makes me re-think what I'm doing in more rational terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I hope it does or else i may go jump off a cliff :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

The best "example" I heard was Hitler was bad and karma got him! Eh no he lost the war and shot himself, surely "karma" would want him to suffer :rolleyes:
    Karma is connected with reincarnation so Hitler (according to the believers) would suffer in one of his next lives. Though according to the Buddhists all suffering is caused by existence, so Hitlers life could have been a punishment for evils in a past life.
    Round and round the wheel we go, like demented hamsters :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

shampon wrote: »
    I have seen the forces of Karma first hand and by god I do believe in it.
    Bad stuff happened to people who did bad stuff? That's just everyday life.
    Karma is real!
    Just because you think it's real doesn't mean it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around.

• Advertisement

Most of the time it does, and that's just basic cause and effect: e.g. be rude to people, they'll stop liking you. No mystical force there. But there are people who can be ruthless cunts and they still get along fine - and there's no guarantee bad stuff will happen to them eventually just because it's believed/hoped it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The skeptic in me says no. There is no such thing as karma. However, I have seen things happen to people that made me raise an eyebrow. It's just coincidence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Karma is a result of what ever actions you have there will be re-actions... same thing as cause and effect, what goes around will come back....

If you're negative about something, or towards others, others will repel and steer clear
    If you're positive about something or towards others, others will be attracted to you

There's every reaction to every action, no matter how miniscule it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Let me tell you my story ...

I was at an ATM 7 years ago and this lizard in front of me left his cash behind ... I took it.

Fast forward to last week ....

I left MY cash behind me at an ATM and suddenly the same freakin' lizard jumped out and took MY money - I didnt see the bastard - he was like ... I dunno the same colour(s) as the ATM ...

Fcukin Karma Chameleon

Thank at your will ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Dudess wrote: »
    Most of the time it does, and that's just basic cause and effect: e.g. be rude to people, they'll stop liking you. No mystical force there. But there are people who can be ruthless cunts and they still get along fine - and there's no guarantee bad stuff will happen to them eventually just because it's believed/hoped it will.

Frustratingly true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Blondini wrote: »
    Let me tell you my story ...

I was at an ATM 7 years ago and this lizard in front of me left his cash behind ... I took it.

Fast forward to last week ....

I left MY cash behind me at an ATM and suddenly the same freakin' lizard jumped me and took MY money - I didnt see the bastard - he was like ... I dunno the same colour(s) as the ATM ...

Fcukin Karma Chameleon

Thank at your will ....
    Ahh go on then

No I don't believe in karma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i have a cat called Karma so yeah i believe in my cat

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Damn!

I thought this thread was about Karoma.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Is it really karma? or just ironic coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

I think if you look at the amount of hugely successful evil people in history its pretty much bulls**t
    Most of them end up prematurely dead though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Yep! You see that copper arrested for purchasing the drugs. Hope your reading this mate - Karma ;)

Nope I don't.

I hope it doesn't come back to get me in a few years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yes, I do believe in Karma.

No, I don't believe in the version that's being spoke about here in this thread(Mostly!)

Honestly, how ignorant do you have to be to call someone an idiot when they say that they believe in Karma when you don't even understand what it is yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

SV wrote: »
    Yes, I do believe in Karma.

No, I don't believe in the version that's being spoke about here in this thread(Mostly!)

Honestly, how ignorant do you have to be to call someone an idiot when they say that they believe in Karma when you don't even understand what it is yourself?
    There are different points of view here and im sure those who believe in it call those who don't idiots. It's a personal choice, I don't but don't think that those who do are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

shampon wrote: »
    I have seen the forces of Karma first hand and by god I do believe in it.
    Elaborate, please?

SV wrote: »
    Well ok, but there is an inaccurate idea of what karma is, and a lot of people don't actually realise it's inaccurate - all they know is what they have to go on if they're not familiar with Buddhism (and in fairness, lots of us aren't).
    I'm sorry but I do think the western notion of it is exceptionally silly - and it baffles me that a lot of intelligent adults buy into it. The basic tenets of it appear to be "I believe in it because I want it to be true" and "I believe in it because I think it's true", otherwise no proof whatsoever. All it is is interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dudess wrote: »

Sometimes ruthlessness is necessary.

In fact it can be pretty useful in some situations

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Yes I do. Some asshat maced €25 off me promising to pay me back, made me drive round like a fool with no intentions of given it back. A week later he ends up crashing he's car and writing it off. Was delighted.

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    Yes I do. Some asshat maced €25 off me promising to pay me back, made me drive round like a fool with no intentions of given it back. A week later he ends up crashing he's car and writing it off. Was delighted.
    Why would a mystical karmic force have caused that though? Stuff like that just happens. Plenty of others who have done similar to him haven't faced a similar fate.

Advertisement