Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been so desperate for some sci fi I downloaded sliders

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

you could try Space: Above and Beyond. More 90's CGI but not all that bad, only lasted 1 series but might fill yer needs for a bit.
    If its space battles ye want and ye like games ye should get yerself Freespace 2. It old but the story is as good as any sci-fi series and its all about the battles, huge ones: Capital ships slugging it out, small fighters, heavy bombers..Ye can also get 3rd party add ons that will bring the graphics right up to date. It'll be like being in yer own sci-fi series ;)
    There hasnt been a space combat game like it since..:(

i think i've talked myself into dusting it off the shelf again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Second Space: Above and Beyond. Great Sci-Fi Series.

I had to get an American friend to buy me the box-set in Better Buy and mail it over a few years ago because that was the only place it was available at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Scruff wrote: »
    you could try Space: Above and Beyond. More 90's CGI but not all that bad

Cool. I never heard of that.

I "got" Sliders a few months ago as well. I had fond memories it on BBC in the 90s. With a lack of SciFi I thought I'd introduce my wife to Sliders. God the GGI (and even fashions) are ancient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Sleepy wrote: »
    Second Space: Above and Beyond. Great Sci-Fi Series.
    Given the OP expressed an appreciation for the X-files, it might be worth mentioning that the show-runners for Space:AaB cut their teeth as X-files writers. It has a few really excellent episodes: the pilot (either a two-parter or feature length, I think), an early episode called Mutiny which captured the feel of submarine warfare, and a two parter called The Angriest Angel which really lived up to the show's potential. However, the rest of the show is pretty uneven, I think. Also, if you're looking for space combat, it's in limited supply for financial reasons - ground combat being much cheaper to film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It was mentioned earlier, but Farscape. Great stuff, really. Bit of humour, but not too light either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Just watched Season 1 episode 1 of Dr who (the one with Billie Piper)
    and it was Legend, really looking forward to watching the rest of the season, Billie was a little bit chunkier back then wasn't she? but I still defo would
    I'd put in an obligatory pic, but im in work :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

I, too, love Sliders!

Just finished season 1 and it was (pretty much) very, very good.

First episode of s2 was kinda rubbish, but s2 was where I started watching back in the '90s so I know it has some great episodes. s3, of course, was mostly awful. But s4... Now that was a great season. My favourite season, by far. Monday nights on Sky One, back to back with Voyager. Loved those shows back then.

Missed lots of s5 but it looked okay. Final episode is one of my all-time fave final episodes. Up there with Quantum Leap.

Really looking forward to seeing this show again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you said you didn't like DS9, if that is the case then skip all the early stuff and just watch the last 2 seasons as they realised that it didn't work as a standalone story on a stationery station so introduced a war between quadrants

Supernatural and Fringe are 2 of the best shows currently airing and practically the only sci-fi left on tv now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....well, theres the new "Torchwood" now, as well as "Falling Skies". Also new super hero style one called "Alphas".

(Whether yez like them or not, of course, is another thing entirely)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Well watched all 6 seasons of Doctor who! it was legend, so downloaded seasons 1 -3 of torchwood and will probably start watching that tonight, plus with tru blood back on along with bad blood and rescue me things I think are starting to look a bit brighter tv wise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Skerries wrote: »
    you said you didn't like DS9, if that is the case then skip all the early stuff and just watch the last 2 seasons as they realised that it didn't work as a standalone story on a stationery station so introduced a war between quadrants

Shouldn't that be skip the first two seasons? Season 3 onwards had some quality stuff in it. In fact season 7 was far weaker than 4/5 & 6.

Sliders was brilliant, I still have to watch the last season but it has a 90's charm that I'll always hold dear.

After exhausting Trek for years, I gave Stargate a shot...how glad I am too. SG-1 is simply quality, watch the feature film & then begin the series. Stick with it, & before you know it, you'll be watching more than one a night. At Season 8 of SG-1, is where Stargate Atlantis begins. Took me a little time to warm to this one but I did...it's brilliant, & all the Stargate elements are there. Stargate Universe, while not everyones favourite, is really what Startrek Voyager should have been. It's dark, gritty & tense...no happy go lucky bullsh't here.

I dunno if you'd call it sci-fi, actually you wouldn't, but I really loved LOST too. It's a nice break from stars & lasers, has some outstanding acting & character driven stories with an X-Files type edge to it. Brilliant & well worth watching.

There's always Red Dwarf to rely on for a laugh (prior to season obviously).

Advertisement