Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been so desperate for some sci fi I downloaded sliders

Options
  • 08-02-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Title says it all really,

God the 90's CGI is WOEFUL!!!!!!

V being on once a week isn't enough for me anymore

I want some proper future Star Trek ship battles or something

I haven't watched Battle Star Galactica yet, is it really worth giving it a go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

crazyderk wrote: »

Yeah I recently watched the last 3 seasons of DS9 and the CGI really isnt as good as I remembered it!! There's one absolutely amazing battle scene in Battlestar Galactica with its sister ship. I forget what season or episode but it was quality. Other than that I never really got into battlestar galactica...

A new Star Trek stv show based on the new movies would be savage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sin_J

You're most likely thinking of Exodus Part 2. Its the fourth episode of the third season of BSG. Tis shockingly good.

Always remember the "Favor the Bold" and "Sacrifice of Angels" episodes having much more ship combat in them. Remember loving it at the time but while still good it's lost some of its coolness.

I would kill for a mechwarrior tv series, if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It wasn't so much the CGI that did my head in, it was the Motorola Phone used for the remote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Ah now see this is what im talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/627-x-men-first-class-mutates-history-in-new-trailer

Can't wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BSG is worth watching. When it was on originally I gave up in the first season but rewatched recently and it's very good.

I'm also rewatching Farscape and while some of the CGI is poor it doesn't take away from the series.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I loved sliders:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yes yes yes x 1000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Did the same thing last week. Also in the process of getting ST Next Gen and DS9. My problem is, both of those series are so familiar that I am not getting anything new from them.

My gripe is not with 90s CGI, its with the quality of Scifi in recent years in general, and I hate to say it but lost left a hole in my viewing pleasure. I hated the ending of it, and feel genuinely let down about the whole thing, but seasons 1-3 were just fantastic, and nothing has replaced it.

ST:Voyager was not a replacement for DS9, it was the poor cousin. Enterprise had great potential but eventually turned into the poor cousin's retarded brother. Now there is a question mark hanging over the franchise.

Its a very sad reality that here we are 10 years into the new millennium, and I dont have a flying car or 3d virtual reality, and scifi series suck. I partially blame CGI for the current state of affairs. 80's and 90's CGI was so poor, that they had to have good stories behind the scenes to make the shows watchable. Now anyone can make great looking CGI and so there is not the same attention to detail required to the story,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm running out of options. BSG is well made but not my cup of tea. Too much drama and religion.

I've watched Babylon 5 then Stargate Atlantis then Firefly. I've seen Next Generation didn't like DS9 and would rather contract gonorrhea than watch Voyager. I'm not sure where to go next. I saw Sliders back in the day and did enjoy it but couldn't rewatch it. Same for Quantum Leap, McGyver, Knight Rider, Buffy, Angel and original Battlestar Galactica. Never liked original Star Trek.

I'm considering Farscape. Looks kitschy but gets some good reviews. The other option is Stargate Universe but it doesn't seem to be popular at all.

humbert wrote: »
    I'm running out of options. BSG is well made but not my cup of tea. Too much drama and religion.

I've watched Babylon 5 then Stargate Atlantis then Firefly. I've seen Next Generation didn't like DS9 and would rather contract gonorrhea than watch Voyager. I'm not sure where to go next. I saw Sliders back in the day and did enjoy it but couldn't rewatch it. Same for Quantum Leap, McGyver, Knight Rider, Buffy, Angel and original Battlestar Galactica. Never liked original Star Trek.

I'm considering Farscape. Looks kitschy but gets some good reviews. The other option is Stargate Universe but it doesn't seem to be popular at all.

Not sure I would recommend SGU, it got axed after 2 seasons so at best it is a stop-gap(lets face it, you could watch it over a couple of weekends). It is an alright series, had potential, but you need to ask yourself if you want to invest the time in 2 seasons with no chance of another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

humbert wrote: »
    Well I think it's very godo at what it does (for the first 2.5 seasons anyway). It does explore some interesting questions on themes of consciousness, etc that sci-fi can do. However, it isn't very strong in exploring many elements of science fiction so it may not suit you.
    I see no mention of "Stargate: SG-1" though - have you given it a try?
    "Farscape" is a must. One of the most original sci-fi shows produced and unique in its production. It is kitschy at times but can also be very bleak and beautiful, farcical and tragic - sometimes in the same episode. The artistry of the puppetry means that the puppets are very convincing and convey more emotion than many sci-fi actors in other shows.
    If you didn't like BSG then you probably won't like SGU as it also deals a lot in character drama.

ixoy wrote: »
    Well I think it's very godo at what it does (for the first 2.5 seasons anyway). It does explore some interesting questions on themes of consciousness, etc that sci-fi can do. However, it isn't very strong in exploring many elements of science fiction so it may not suit you.

I fully agree with that, the themes explored are deep, complex and often subtle, as are the characters but just not my cup of tea. I confess, I like a good deal of idealism/escapism in my sci-fi.

Oops, loved the Stargate film and was very fond of the series and I should also mention the X Files (except the last few series) while I'm at it.

I'll give Farscape a go. I'm very risk averse when choosing a movie/series but I usually do end up enjoying most of what I watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

newmug wrote: »
    I loved sliders:(

So did i so you are not alone :cool:

Sparks43 wrote: »
    So did i so you are not alone :cool:

Did he ever get home?

Did he ever get home?

Don't answer that im still on season 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

spoiler for sliders here dont read it crazyderk
    technically yes. they slid home on episode, and quinn would know it was his real home because the gate in front of his house would always squeak. so when they landed, they only had like 10 seconds or somethiung stupid and the gate didnt squeak, so they slid out. and then in the final scene you see his mother/grandmother thanking the neighbour for finally putting someoil on the front gate and stopping it from always squeaking. oh how tragic.

and in the end, no they didnt get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

damn kromaggs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I can't believe this discussion has gone so far without mentioning Babylon 5! It's a fantastic television series that delivers a full story from beginning to end. The budget for the first series is pretty tight. But the special effects improve season by season and I would say it puts the sci-fi of the last ten years to shame. I started rewatching the series from the beginning before Christmas. I'm halfway through season 5. It's a real shame that this classic and critically acclaimed series is almost completely forgotten these days.

And so it begins...!;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Apolloyon wrote: »
    I can't believe this discussion has gone so far without mentioning Babylon 5!
    Humbert mentioned it above. I'd almost assume people watched this. If they haven't, I should ban 'em because it's just such a great series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Andromeda anyone? baywatch in space with less cleavage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

.. baywatch in space with less cleavage.

Jayzus - you're really selling it, man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Been so desperate for some sci fi I downloaded sliders

I know how you feel; I watched the entire season of Girl From Tomorrow on YouTube not so long ago I was that desperate. Thank Surak for BBC's Outcast.

Andromeda anyone? baywatch in space with less cleavage.

Actually, I watched a few episodes of it when it was on tv. It's a hell of a lot better than you would expect of a show with Kevin Sorbo as the protagonist.

I'd put it above Xena or Hercules but below most of the alternatives mentioned on this thread. I think I'd watch it again before sliders. Not because it's better (it's not) but because sliders is a cherished memory that I think will have dated very badly.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I know how you feel; I watched the entire season of Girl From Tomorrow on YouTube not so long ago I was that desperate. Thank Surak for BBC's Outcast.

The Girl from Tomorrow is how I thought the world would be after th year 2000 when I was a little fella. It was a lie:(

The Girl from Tomorrow is how I thought the world would be after th year 2000 when I was a little fella. It was a lie:(

Was the Girl from Tomorrow the australian eco-warrior one?

I hated that when it was on.

I must download Babylon 5.

syklops wrote: »
    Was the Girl from Tomorrow the australian eco-warrior one?

I hated that when it was on.

I must download Babylon 5.

Nah she wasnt an eco warrior, she was kidnapped by a baddie with a time machine and landed in our time. But her world was peaceful and responsible. And she was HAWT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9rFU0s7qs

Nah she wasnt an eco warrior, she was kidnapped by a baddie with a time machine and landed in our time. But her world was peaceful and responsible. And she was HAWT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9rFU0s7qs

Thats the one, the first second of the music reminded me. Awful awful stuff. There was an eco element to it wasnt there??

syklops wrote: »
    Thats the one, the first second of the music reminded me. Awful awful stuff. There was an eco element to it wasnt there??

Not really! I thought it was deadly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_From_Tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Not really! I thought it was deadly!

+1

...now hand me my transducer.

• Advertisement

Well just finished watching all 5 seasons of Sliders, there was many a time i was going to give up and stop watching cuz it was so sh*t at times! but i persevered and got through it all

but if that wasn't the worst point, yet another show ending on a bit of a cliff hanger due to being cancelled at the end of a season and not a series.

So I downloaded Doctor Who and I'm gonna give that a go, then I'll probably start on Battlestar Galactica!

Advertisement