Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricco in hospital

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

La Republica are reporting that in addition to kidney failure, he also had a pulmonary oedema due to reinfusing tainted blood which had been stored for over 25 days. He nearly died by all accounts! President of Italian Cycling commented saying "It is better if Ricco stays away from cycling for good".

Mad altogether!

http://www.repubblica.it/sport/ciclismo/2011/02/08/news/ricc_procura_apre_fascicolo-12212942/

Theres the link for the Italian literate out there... Those who have achieved a zenlike state of Euroness should have no problems (Raam, i'm looking in your direction)!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

With my limited Italian it certainly looks as if it jibes with the reports in this thread: self-administered blood transfusion, blood kept in the fridge for 25 days, subsequent kidney failure and emergency hospitalisation, prosecutor has opened a file, Federal President says it would be better if he left the sport,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

leftism wrote: »
    La Republica are reporting that in addition to kidney failure, he also had a pulmonary oedema due to reinfusing tainted blood which had been stored for over 25 days. He nearly died by all accounts! President of Italian Cycling commented saying "It is better if Ricco stays away from cycling for good".

Mad altogether!

May he just needs to stay away from needles and leave the tranfusing to the professionals..........and by that I mean doctors.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Junior wrote: »

http://twitter.com/VacansoleilDCM/status/35035162265915392
    Earlier given information from Italy on cause of Ricco's high body temp is possibly be wrong.Team starts investigation looking for facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Bad genes too.

Bad genes?? I'll take increased muscle mass and increased bone density over man boobs, reduced libido and luscious locks any day.

If he has already admitted in hospital and on front of witnesses to self transfusing, how can they come out with these statements? Clutching at straws by the sounds of it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If he has already admitted in hospital and on front of witnesses to self transfusing, how can they come out with these statements? Clutching at straws by the sounds of it!

Well, it worked for Armstrong.

Fair point, but that particular conversation was dug up years after it happened and Lance was in hospital at the time for very different reasons.

You also didn't have every national newspaper all over the story like a rash within 24 hours. If the papers are happy to publish Ricco's apparent confession the day it happened, then they must be confident that the story holds up to legal scrutiny...

The headline of the story in La Republica yesterday was basically "Authentic suicide attempt by Ricco". Either you're the ballsiest editor ever, or your happy that all sources have been checked and verified...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

The headline of the story in La Republica yesterday was basically "Authentic suicide attempt by Ricco". Either you're the ballsiest editor ever, or your happy that all sources have been checked and verified...

The rest of the story in La Repubblica goes on to say:
    If the revelations emanating from Modena are really true, the Riccardo Riccò incident...risks becoming a veritable suicide. Not only for the possibly damaging complications arising from the illness itself, but above all for the consequences to his career in the sport.
    Sounds like the editor is playing it pretty safe to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

Couple of things:

Its pronounced Roche (as in stephen and nicholas) not Rosh. Any other spelling or pronunciation is just wrong! ;)

Also, my girlfriend is a biomedical scientist who works in the blood bank. When i showed her that story she was absolutely mortified. Keeping untreated blood for that long is total bonkers apparently! (But then again she is new to cycling!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

emtroche wrote: »
    Its pronounced Roche (as in stephen and nicholas)

And Emmet obviously!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

That's this year's Darwin Award sorted.

Their Motto is apt in so many ways:

A Chronicle of Enterprising Demises - Honoring those who improve the species...by accidentally removing themselves from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

Ricardo Ricco denies the autotransfusion, as has been told BICICICLISMO. Italian cyclist says he did not say anything Pavullo doctor reported him and he responded at first in the early hours of Sunday. Ricco says the doctor told him that there had been a transfusion with a blood bag which he kept in the refrigerator of their home.

The Vacansoleil climber denies accusations Pavullo doctor says his condition when he entered the hospital was so bad that he could not speak, as has been told BICICICLISMO. That is the line that will maintain once you meet with your lawyer. Ricco is admitted to the hospital Baggiovara (Modena), where progressing well after entering in critical condition with high fever and renal failure, on Sunday.

The doctor Pavullo Ricco says he confessed to having made "himself an autotransfusion of blood preserved in the refrigerator in her house for 25 days."

Accordingly, the District Attorney's Office Anti-Doping Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) has opened disciplinary proceedings against Ricco. And the prosecutor of Modena opened a case on alleged violation of anti-doping law. The prosecutor Pasquale Mazzei received a medical report Pavullo hospital where on Sunday morning attended for the first time Ricco, who was presented to the emergency room in critical condition, while it was rushed to hospital Baggiovara (Modena) .

According to the doctor's testimony, Ricco was in a state of shock and said, "in front of his girlfriend" (Vania Rossi) who had become "himself an autotransfusion of blood preserved in the refrigerator in her house for 25 days "He expressed his fear" if the storage of blood would be poor. "

Translated version of this http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=35435

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

emtroche wrote: »
    Its pronounced Roche (as in stephen and nicholas) not Rosh. Any other spelling or pronunciation is just wrong! ;)

OK, we're better wrap up this tangent quick before mods get sh1tty about it. Here's all I can say with certainty...

I worked from 2000-2004 at a company who supplied database software to the pharma industry. Roche Pharmaceuticals were among our clients. When we first started working with them, we naturally assumed the same pronunciation as the Norman-Irish surname. We were quickly set straight by Roche employees who told us that in the case of the pharma company, it was the original French word and therefore pronounced much closer (albeit subtly different) to 'rosh'.

The audio clip of the correct pronunciation of the French word here seems to agree with me.

Btw, I'm not arrogant enough to be trying to tell you how to pronounce your own name! I'm just saying that the accepted Anglicised pronunciation for the Norman-Irish surname is quite different to the original French word/surname.

Advertisement