Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricco in hospital

Options
  • 07-02-2011 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

Shane Stokes is reporting that Ricco has been admitted to hospital for kidney failure.

While not wishing the man any harm, ISTR an allegation made years ago by an Irish rugby journalist that Jonah Lomus kidney problems may have been caused by steroid abuse?

Are there links between doping and kidney failure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Heh, when I saw the thread title my first though was 'for surgery to extract his head from his ass'.

A quick blitz of pubmed shows a few articles about renal failure with steroid abuse but it's more frequently to do with anabolics and weight lifters, still with his history you'd have to suspect it's not a 'naturally occuring' kidney problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Too many natural causes of kidney failure to jump to any conclusion. However, if his kidneys fail then he could be prescribed EPO to prevent anaemia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i know if you eat loads of tablets that can wreck your liver

i dont have the letters DR before my name, or any others after it, but i think im right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Maybe I should know, but who is Ricco?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

The hypochondriacs website:- http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/k/kidney_failure/causes.htm
    be careful with the paracetamol and ibuprofen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

531 wrote: »
    Maybe I should know, but who is Ricco?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riccardo_Ricco

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

When the tour comes around who am I going to shout abuse at now? :(

I was quite looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Im not a doctor but do have a degree in biomedical sciences and a basic understanding of pharmacology. abuse of the drug EPO and CERA can lead to blood clotting. the main areas affected are the heart, lungs and brain but can occur anywhere else in the body. if his illness is related to the abuse of this hormone im guessing he threw a clot and it blocked the renal vessals

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

ullu wrote: »

Thanks Ullu, he seems like a good one alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am medically qualified to use Google, and that tells me that (a) EPO increases haematocrit, (b) high haematocrit can cause high blood pressure, and (c) high blood pressure can cause kidney damage.

FACT! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

ROK ON wrote: »
    Shane Stokes is reporting that Ricco has been admitted to hospital for kidney failure.

While not wishing the man any harm, ISTR an allegation made years ago by an Irish rugby journalist that Jonah Lomus kidney problems may have been caused by steroid abuse?

Are there links between doping and kidney failure?

That's Irish Rugby journalists for you..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephrotic_syndrome is what Lomu had..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

And high testosterone levels can contribute to hair loss. I'm just saying...

qatarmenprologue_093_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

cantalach wrote: »
    And high testosterone levels can contribute to hair loss. I'm just saying...
    Bad genes too.

Bad genes too.

Agreed. I'm not really suggesting TB is doping because as far as any of us can tell, he is a clean rider (my "I'm just saying..." above is misleading in hindsight). If anything, I'm making the opposite point in defense of Ricco. There are numerous medical conditions that can occur naturally as well as being side-effects of doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gavb

ullu wrote: »

This made me giggle:

"CERA's manufacturer Roche Pharmaceuticals" :eek:

Just sayin' like...

Gavb wrote: »
    This made me giggle:

"CERA's manufacturer Roche Pharmaceuticals" :eek:

Just sayin' like...

Roche the pharma company is pronounced 'Rosh'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Aren't they in Clare?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I guess that's why the Fall single was called "Rowche Rumble".

Rather good song too, if you like that sort of thing (which I do).

Aren't they in Clare?
    Clarecastle, I think.

Aren't they in Clare?

Yep. Big factory on the left as you come into Clarecastle from Limerick.

Edit: Sorry, must refresh browser before replying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

On council estates near where I grew up it was most certainly pronounced Roche as in Steven and Nico.

"Go and ask Mrs Murphy for a couple of Roche 5's till I get to the doctors." was a common enough errand for kids in the 70's when 50% of housewives were valium addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Just coming out in Gazzetta dello Sport that Ricco admitted to a medic, and in the presence of his fiancee, that he gave himself a blood transfusion. He had kept the blood in the fridge for 25 days and was worried that it had gone bad.

He's a reformed character alright.

Edit: google translated

Makes a mockery of The UCI Passport and Aldo Sassi's memory, also makes you wonder how the f*ck do you detect this method of 'doping'

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7360/Ricco-being-investigated-for-doping-after-apparent-admission-to-medical-doctor.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

That's pretty scarey reading ..... self administered blood transfusion ..... blood in the fridge for a month etc! He doesn't come across as the brightest chap? Still I wouldn't wish kidney failure on anyone! I wonder how many more of them are doing this?

CyclingNews.com covering it now too:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/italian-police-investigate-ricco-for-blood-doping

You have to wonder why he was blood doping in the off season. I guess if you are trying to beat the blood passport you have to maintain your (artificially) high parameters all year around?

Junior wrote: »
    also makes you wonder how the f*ck do you detect this method of 'doping'

That's where the new test for plasticisers in the blood comes in.

You have to wonder why he was blood doping in the off season. I guess if you are trying to beat the blood passport you have to maintain your (artificially) high parameters all year around?

Two reasons

1 - either to keep the passport up to a certain level
    2 - he was also aiming for the Mont Faron Stage in Tour of the Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Junior wrote: »
    Two reasons

1 - either to keep the passport up to a certain level
    2 - he was also aiming for the Mont Faron Stage in Tour of the Med.
    Didn't Ricco have a cert for a high hematocrit before he got caught for CERA?
    I wonder does he still have this?

• Advertisement

RPL1 wrote: »
    That's pretty scarey reading ..... self administered blood transfusion ..... blood in the fridge for a month etc!

I think I know where he got this idea from.
    [Kramer is at the County Blood Bank.]

KRAMER: My service rates went up? You banks are all the same with your hidden fees and your service charges. Well, maybe I'll just take my blood elsewhere, yeah.

BANK EMPLOYEE: Well, we can transfer to another bank for you.

KRAMER: Oh, no no no...no more banks. I'm keeping my blood in my freezer with...my money!

http://www.seinology.com/scripts/script-160.shtml

Advertisement