Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking club Week 5: Malaysian Chicken/Beef Curry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

glad you enjoyed pugwall! the lemongrass has always been a bit of an issue with this recipe bashing it could be the way to go alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Pic

looks drewlicious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

I love Massaman curry, we get it from Kanum Thai, it looks like a lot of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

hbonbr wrote: »
    I love Massaman curry, we get it from Kanum Thai, it looks like a lot of work!

The only bit that takes a while is making the paste - I usually double the recipe to get about 8 - 10 tbsps so I can then freeze it and make 4 - 5 curries. Once the paste is made it's just a matter of flinging a few things into a pot and letting it simmer for a while. It's well worth it, give it a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I have another batch of this on in the slow cooker tonight, looking forward to having this for dinner tomorrow night :-) One of my favourite curries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Let's be having you.

478e3bba-00b8-4853-a8d7-76cc896aec89_zpsa83c8e8f.jpg

(I hope it's normal to be sneezing and coughing a bit with the spice smoke! It's my first time cooking with whole spices, I'm not sure at all how they should behave)

2 posts in a row but Oh My Gosh. Curry Addict I'm not joking when I say you've changed my life. I crave coconut based curries but, until today, every time I made one I made a watery pot of over cooked, yellow vegetables, thin, split coconut milk and rubbery meat. This recipe is the reason I give Camille Thai €30 every few weeks (I know it's not thai but it is spicy, rich, anise-y coconut based goodness). You're wonderful, thank you.

3b5fec4b-f802-4894-b88c-7773bc4eb91c_zps3b5e06e9.jpg

2 posts in a row but Oh My Gosh. Curry Addict I'm not joking when I say you've changed my life. I crave coconut based curries but, until today, every time I made one I made a watery pot of over cooked, yellow vegetables, thin, split coconut milk and rubbery meat. This recipe is the reason I give Camille Thai €30 every few weeks (I know it's not thai but it is spicy, rich, anise-y coconut based goodness). You're wonderful, thank you.

looks great, im glad it helped you to make something better than your usual.
    i recommend you try the green curry i posted if you want to try some more thai recipes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

Decided I'm going to finally make these curries after years of looking at them! One slight hiccup, I have all the ingrediants for both dishes bar dried chillis - I have dried crushed chilli flakes, would these do the job? If so about much to use? Thanks a mil :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Are you in Wexford Wexy? I have loads if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Decided I'm going to finally make these curries after years of looking at them! One slight hiccup, I have all the ingrediants for both dishes bar dried chillis - I have dried crushed chilli flakes, would these do the job? If so about much to use? Thanks a mil :-)

Crushed chillies would work fine. Use approx 1/2 tsp per dried whole chilli as a guide but just use your own intuition on it to make sure you don't blow your head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

Makood wrote: »
    Are you in Wexford Wexy? I have loads if you want.

Thanks a mil for the offer, much appreciated but I already went ahead and used the dried flakes, holy god it was tough going trying to breathe when roasting the spices!! Think my lungs have just about come around......

Made both curries, I could have grind the spices a bit more, slightly grainy through no fault but my own but both are lovely and tasty. masaman today and the Malaysian tomorrow :)

Thanks Curry Addict, wish I tried these years ago!! :-D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...I could have grind the spices a bit more...

Every kitchen should have a spice grinder. It will make the finest of powder from the toughest of spices in seconds.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Every kitchen should have a spice grinder. It will make the finest of powder from the toughest of spices in seconds.

Yep! It's one of the essentials in my kitchen.
    I remember making a curry years ago and tried to grind all the spices in a pestle and mortar and it nearly killed me. Went out and got a spice/coffee grinder and haven't looked back.

Thanks a mil for the offer, much appreciated but I already went ahead and used the dried flakes, holy god it was tough going trying to breathe when roasting the spices!! Think my lungs have just about come around......

Made both curries, I could have grind the spices a bit more, slightly grainy through no fault but my own but both are lovely and tasty. masaman today and the Malaysian tomorrow :)

Thanks Curry Addict, wish I tried these years ago!! :-D

glad you enjoyed. The malaysian is nice and easy compared to the masaman. they are quite similar but i pref the malaysian myself :)

Just got an email from Curry's (heh!) this morning about their sale, and this is reduced from €30 to €10 which is a very good price. I think I paid about €25 for my one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just got an email from Curry's (heh!) this morning about their sale, and this is reduced from €30 to €10 which is a very good price. I think I paid about €25 for my one.

It's not showing the grinder, just an empty basket.

It's not showing the grinder, just an empty basket.

:("We're sorry but that product is no longer available"

Oh well, obviously a good bargain so.

Argos have them for pretty civilised money. I had that one but abused it a bit and cracked the plastic rim around the bowl, so I gave it to my sister and bought one from Aldi. :)

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Argos have them for pretty civilised money. I had that one but abused it a bit and cracked the plastic rim around the bowl, so I gave it to my sister and bought one from Aldi. :)

That was the one! :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That was the one! :)

It's a really good one: it has an insert that makes it easy to grind very small quantities (don't use this unless it actually is a very small amount, that's how I broke mine) and a very clever cord storage system that lets it sit tidily in a cupboard.

I bought that grinder specifically to make this recipe :) It's a lovely helpful little dude.

looks like prices have dropped recently for these little grinders :)

looks like prices have dropped recently for these little grinders :)

Yeah, when I bought mine a few years ago they were all mad money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

Made this tonite fab- so tasty. Not sure if I got the quantities right thou as don't think I'll get 10 curries from it!

aoifo wrote: »
    Made this tonite fab- so tasty. Not sure if I got the quantities right thou as don't think I'll get 10 curries from it!

glad you enjoyed. I think i was a bit optimistic about the amount of curries you get out of the spice mix :P

No worries just though I got the measurements wrong, but will definitely get a few outa it;) did u ever try a cambodian curry called salamander, had it when I was there this year tempted to give it a try but can't find any recipes? Might just email the restaurant I had it in.

Sorry it's saraman curry

• Advertisement

It doesn't ring a bell. I do have what looks like a great recipe for a traditional Cambodian chicken curry. Its on my list of next curries to try.

Advertisement