Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw 07/02 *Spoilers*

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

This "21 / 2 / 11" ad really is baffling.

If it really is The Undertaker, they'd almost get more coverage if they advertised it was him, by maybe playing the gongs into the arena with whoever he is going after.

It's kind of baffling that after years of him "returning" quite explicitly and obviously, its a strange tactic to try and build up suspense of "who is it?" this time.

the building advertised him, the monday night raw promo advertised him, and the johnny cash song thier using ''there aint no grave to hold my body down'' basically couldnt make it anymore clearer considering when we last saw him. i'd say its him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Any thoughts on who the host for WM will be?

I'm going to say The Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,052 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

the building advertised him, the monday night raw promo advertised him, and the johnny cash song thier using ''there aint no grave to hold my body down'' basically couldnt make it anymore clearer considering when we last saw him. i'd say its him.

He is also been advertised for the Smackdown tapings the next night

He is also been advertised for the Smackdown tapings the next night

yeah i know, i cant understand them playing these clips then give it away in advertisements

i was thinking that myself, but cant see it, should know before next monday though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I have a feeling whoever is the guest host will be a very well kept secret until next monday. This is practically the thing that they want to use to try and get on-the-fence fans and non fans to buy the ppv for.
    I cant see it being revealed earlier than next monday.

CMpunked wrote: »
    I have a feeling whoever is the guest host will be a very well kept secret until next monday. This is practically the thing that they want to use to try and get on-the-fence fans and non fans to buy the ppv for.
    I cant see it being revealed earlier than next monday.

maybe your right, but i think we'll have a name before next monday, somebody will leak it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

maybe your right, but i think we'll have a name before next monday, somebody will leak it

If it is an actual massive name. An actor, Some mega musician etc then it wouldnt hurt if it was leaked i suppose, it could give next weeks raw a bit of a boost ratings wise.
    But with the amount of possibilities then i think i would rather it to be kept. Genuine surprises dont usually happen anymore in wrestling. :(

CMpunked wrote: »
    If it is an actual massive name. An actor, Some mega musician etc then it wouldnt hurt if it was leaked. But with the amount of possibilities then i think i would rather it to be kept. Genuine surprises dont usually happen anymore in wrestling. :(

i agree, damn internet has ruined everything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

it probably is feckin justin bieber....he is hosting or semi hosting everything else as of late!! gobsh!te! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,684 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd be happy if it were HBK, SCSA or The Rock :) if it is Bieber :( whats the betting he will have a match with Horny

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd be happy if it were HBK, SCSA or The Rock :) if it is Bieber :( whats the betting he will have a match with Horny

The reason I reckon it could be the Rock is Vince saying it is someone who could host anything - something bigger than the Oscars or World Cup (if he said World Cup it is an odd thing to say in America.... the day after SB)

Beiber wouldn't be considered to be superstar host material, though I could easily see WWE trying to play it off that he is.

Beiber would get mainstream media attention, but I reckon it could turn the WWE fans off - I know it would certainly make me a lot less likely to buy WM, though the WWE could probably bank on the majority of WWE fans buying WM regardless, simply because it is WM.

HBK and SCSA would be massive for the Wrestling Community, but no one else would have any real interest.

The Rock, on the other hand, would have the Wrestling Community (or WWE Universes if you will...) very excited, but it would also get the WWE a lot of mainstream media attention due to the Hollywood links. The Rock has also recently spoken about putting something together (not in ring) with the WWE that would be historic. This would fit the bill (though the comments did indicate nothing concrete was in the pipeline)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,684 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The reason I reckon it could be the Rock is Vince saying it is someone who could host anything - something bigger than the Oscars or World Cup (if he said World Cup it is an odd thing to say in America.... the day after SB)

Beiber wouldn't be considered to be superstar host material, though I could easily see WWE trying to play it off that he is.

Beiber would get mainstream media attention, but I reckon it could turn the WWE fans off - I know it would certainly make me a lot less likely to buy WM, though the WWE could probably bank on the majority of WWE fans buying WM regardless, simply because it is WM.

HBK and SCSA would be massive for the Wrestling Community, but no one else would have any real interest.

The Rock, on the other hand, would have the Wrestling Community (or WWE Universes if you will...) very excited, but it would also get the WWE a lot of mainstream media attention due to the Hollywood links. The Rock has also recently spoken about putting something together (not in ring) with the WWE that would be historic. This would fit the bill (though the comments did indicate nothing concrete was in the pipeline)
    Former Price is Right host Bob Barker will be at WrestleMania 27 in Atlanta, according to SportsTalkNetwork.com. Barker is said to be a long time wrestling fan and won the Slammy Award in December for Best RAW Host.

Could be him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Bieber will be at Mania anyway, so they will get that attention anyway. I can't see him hosting though as he can hardly string 2 words together. And to get on WWE TV with a weakness like that, you have to be jacked like Mason Ryan!

It could be Stone Cold to give Tough Enough so extra attention. But the build up suggests it could be The Rock or somebody with a history of hosting events. The ultimate celebrity guest host if you will.

I don't think The Rock would get massive mainstream attention though. His star is not exactly shining at it's brightest these days.

The accidental blood spilling by Punk really added to the opening segment. Gave it a gritter edge, not seen too often in the WWE these days. I really like Punk's Nexus, so much potential if they are used properly. I liked Punk going back to the Legacy beatdown at Unforgiven too. Shows that they have been planning Punk/Orton since the Slammys (well it seems that way as Punk used similar language in his acceptance speech as he used last night).

Decent enough Raw. I liked the Nexus thread throughout as it gave the show some meaning and built up the PPV pretty well. Even Cena had a decent promo with Vickie to make up for R-Truth's balls up(although I'll never be comfortable with the "lets laugh at Vickie because she is ugly stuff).

The Johnny Cash music did hint massively at the Undertaker. I would still not be surprised if it is a swerve, but even if it is him, it is a pretty cool promo. Up there with the promos leading to his American Bad Ass comeback. But I stand by all I said in the main thread about the video, at this stage in his career it would make little sense to have a "Who is it?" comeback for The Undertaker when he has had a big comeback already in the last 6 months and he is always coming and going. Until they played the Cash music, I was thinking that it looked very much like Sting in the clip. I spotted a few Sting signs in the crowd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wasn't crazy about this Raw.

I liked the opener with Punk and Orton. I do think Punk's Nexus have been hurt by his involvement but I don't really care about any of them tbh. The stuff with Punk and Orton seems to have elements of truth to it which makes it compelling.

I missed the stuff with R Truth but it sounds like Cole buried him. I like heel Cole a lot but I hope he moves away from the announce desk after Mania and J.R. comes back because it's a bit too whacky with a heel doing play-by-play on the biggest show. I'm hoping that's the direction this is going.

I was really disappointed to see Sheamus being made to look bad by that big waste of space Mark Henry. Has Sheamus been making moves in Steph or something? He must have lost about 80% of his matches since winning KOTR.

Shame about the mystery promo which now looks set to be Undertaker. I also recognised the song from the HBK/Taker feud so I think that's what it's going to be. Even if they were never going to get Sting I think they still should have teased it a bit more.

My immediate reaction to the guest host thing was Justin Bieber but I'd love it if it was The Rock. Guess we have to wait and see. I wish they'd announce some more names for the Hall of Fame as well.

I thought everything else on the show was fine. I'm surprised some people dislike Lawler's involvement as I think he's been great whenever he has been in a prominent spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I enjoyed that Raw, probably because Punk was featured heavily.. anything with him is gold to me at the moment. His beatdown of Orton was made far more effective by the blood - and it was interesting that they showed a few close-ups of the blood and it was still visible on his wrist tape for the rest of the night.

Sheamus was gold on the mic as usual but he continues to be booked disappointingly - this must be a concern for his short-term prospects.

Michael Cole was far more heelish than usual. Normally he is just pro-Miz but this week he laid into R-Truth and Natalya and was very pro-Punk also. This supports the theory that they are going for some sort of Cole/Lawler match at WM.

Any chance that Lesnar will be introduced as the WM guest host? Obviously he would be side-tracked away from that into some sort of program with 'Taker. The 2-21-11 promos look like a more serious type-character if it is indeed 'Taker, which would fit nicely into a some sort of interaction with Lesnar.

The Rock would be the obvious choice for WM guest host, but Stone Cold/HBK are probably more realistic options.

One thing about the 2-21-11 promos that have me holding out hope for Sting is the way the symbol kinda "smokes" away at the end - it could easily form into the letters STING, but also HHH I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Didn't watch it this week or last week. Having checked the reports I didn't miss much.Punk broke his Nose from a clash of heads with Orton.Could someone tell me what Sheamus did to get squashed by the talentless Henry & laughed at by the dreadful new Nexus(Punk is great the rest can F**K off back to FCW).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Punk the best performer of the night again. Great seeing Vinny Mac again, wish he would have gotten involved in a storyline!!

Danielson giving a big boot to Di Biaise, wtf? Never liked R-Truth, not as K-Kwik or anything, he does nothing for me whatsoever - in ring or on the mic, I think he is awful at both.

Also, at the start of Cena's promo on Vicky and Dolph, "I came out here with an important announcement" random heckler: "You're retiring!!"
    Main event was meh, but its great to see someone finally selling a low-blow how it should be sold - sore!!!!

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    Didn't watch it this week or last week. Having checked the reports I didn't miss much.Punk broke his Nose from a clash of heads with Orton.Could someone tell me what Sheamus did to get squashed by the talentless Henry & laughed at by the dreadful new Nexus(Punk is great the rest can F**K off back to FCW).

If you watch it, you would see that Sheamus wasn't really buried. CM Punk set up a scenario where some people he is worried about facing were to be taken out. Sheamus had the upper hand in the brawl with Henry until Otunga distracted him, thus slowing down the Brogue Kick. So yes he ended up flattened, but it was not exactly being squashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

best thing about raw this week was punk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

If you watch it, you would see that Sheamus wasn't really buried. CM Punk set up a scenario where some people he is worried about facing were to be taken out. Sheamus had the upper hand in the brawl with Henry until Otunga distracted him, thus slowing down the Brogue Kick. So yes he ended up flattened, but it was not exactly being squashed.

This is true, it's kind of nitpicking but he knocked Henry down a couple of times in the brawl and it was portrayed as Sheamus being concerned about both guys that caused him to miss his kick. It was nothing specific to him or Henry just part of the storyline about Punk harming his rivals in various nefarious ways.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

"CM Sucks" and "Miz is Awful" is a retort that a 5-year old could think of, and it's a disgrace! Faks sake Cena. You can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

best thing about raw this week was punk

best thing about raw most weeks is punk, even as a commentator he was stealing the show

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Agreed. WWE generally have at least ONE thing you can look forward to each week, if it's not a Chris Jericho promo it's Nexus, and now anything CM Punk does. I shudder to think what WWE would be like without Punk.

Been a while since Miz cut a great promo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

jaykhunter wrote: »
    "CM Sucks" and "Miz is Awful" is a retort that a 5-year old could think of, and it's a disgrace! Faks sake Cena. You can do better.

Miz = Awful is just playing to what the crowd yells during his catchphrase anyway though. No different to telling Kurt Angle he sucks.

Although I want someone to sing "Miztake" at some point:

Former WWE Creative John Piermarini's blog is back and he's put his Raw thoughts up: http://creativerecall.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/raw-recall-february-7-2011/

Funny how how his criticisms basically reflect the IWC at large but that's why I'm reading it even if I think he's wrong about NXT 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

Woah, Jim Duggan is dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Woah, Jim Duggan is dead!

Stop talking rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement