Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funniest examples of 'Paddywhackery' on foreign TV episodes set in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

ixoy wrote: »
    Oh and I'm struggling to get through Season 3 of "Sons of Anarchy" due to the awful potrayal of Ireland. The accents are generally rubbish (only one was good and he ain't in it anymore) and apparently Belfast is stuck in a time warp in the '70: people only play rebel songs and everyone is in the 'Ra (just like the song).

In fact for ages they kept gun running for the IRA - had the writers even heard of the Good Friday Agreement?
    They even had this old corner shop called Ashby's, that looked like it wasstuck in 1950. It would have been aSpar by now, surely.

The Young Indy was made here. Lots of Irish actors, Anna Manahan, John Lynch, some of whom are now in Game of Thrones, like Conleth Hill and Richard Dormer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

They even had this old corner shop called Ashby's, that looked like it wasstuck in 1950. It would have been aSpar by now, surely.

All it was was Mason Jars and glass bottles, looked like a famine shop. Strangely it was thing thing that annoyed me the most about the Irish episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

Not set in Ireland but A Hard Days Night has an hilarious portrayal of an Irish old man.

That's Wilford Brimley. He was Irish. He was playing Paul's dad. He was very clean! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

squonk wrote: »
    That's Wilford Brimley. He was Irish. He was playing Paul's dad. He was very clean! :)

Wilfrid Brambell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Looking back on the Wiki of the Eastenders debacle, this quote caught my eye.
    "Whoever wrote the script has obviously never been to Ireland. I'm very disappointed because [the programme] is a programme I have great respect for. It is outrageous and untrue to portray us like that. I'm disappointed the producers allowed it to be broadcast as it was."
    Brendan O'Carroll, ladies and gentlemen. I'll let the rest of you fill in the gaps.

Wilford Brimley is the beardy fella off Cocoon.

This US-made Twilight Zone episode set in Killany
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMDSFZWaOvI

Reminded of this thread when watching this episode of McCloud. David Cassidy's dad, Jack Cassidy, a smashing actor who often played Columbo villains plays an English lord who helps some Oirish terrorists. https://youtu.be/9IWq9J8jiKw?t=919

https://youtu.be/Rb6cv9a7xFA?t=938 Discovery of the year - that Peter "Len Fairclough" Adamson after being disgraced from Coronation Street, played an Oirish farmer/horse trainer in Mindhorn-esque bionic-handed Canadian spy series Adderly. London taxis and Minis in Oirish countryside, roughly resembling the Curragh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement