Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funniest examples of 'Paddywhackery' on foreign TV episodes set in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

D1976 wrote: »
    from 4.00, jesus wept

Flight of the Doves

In fairness Flight of the Doves is a classic children's movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

SkidMark wrote: »
    Murder She Wrote had a few Irish episodes, to be sure

best irish program ever.....fact

Meant to put this up earlier.. something more contemporary... from Hannah Montana.. the two characters are singing before the scenes as an intro..

At 1:00 they have an Oirish/Scottish section.. The tune is The Irish Washerwoman but they appear to be wearing kilts.. This is not the first time when the Disney crowd have not been able to tell Ireland and Scotland apart..
    was the kilt not an irish thing first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Magnum PI in Ireland. The episode was called 'Faith & Begorrah'!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Chringeeeeee... JAG in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No mention of Star Trek TNG's "Up the Long Ladder" (I think) then? In that one they discover an Irish colony 400 years in the future. The Irish beam aboard their donkeys, straw, and beer aboard the Enterprise and speak in Oirish accents the whole time. Yes that's in the 24th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't think they actually show them in Ireland in the episode but according to the Gilmore Girls they got a train from London to Dublin. Good job!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59616653

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh and I'm struggling to get through Season 3 of "Sons of Anarchy" due to the awful potrayal of Ireland. The accents are generally rubbish (only one was good and he ain't in it anymore) and apparently Belfast is stuck in a time warp in the '70: people only play rebel songs and everyone is in the 'Ra (just like the song).

In fact for ages they kept gun running for the IRA - had the writers even heard of the Good Friday Agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Nothing beats the Relic Hunter episode where they go to Ireland. It has to be seen to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ixoy wrote: »
    No mention of Star Trek TNG's "Up the Long Ladder" (I think) then? In that one they discover an Irish colony 400 years in the future. The Irish beam aboard their donkeys, straw, and beer aboard the Enterprise and speak in Oirish accents the whole time. Yes that's in the 24th century.

The sad thing is there probably will be Irish people still like that in the 24th century :pac:

• Advertisement

Gael wrote: »
    I remember seeing a dreadful (but hilarious) example in an episode of the revamped Mission Impossible tv series that was on in the late eighties/early nineties. Even as a young child, the ridiculous protrayal of Ireland stayed with me. I managed to find that episode on youtube recently. Watch it if you dare (or want a good laugh)! It's in five parts below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJWa8GJhvhg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSAf90SlS-U&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3zNzDJ44wc&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5BXUxAoGuA&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mXYDXD2UFw&feature=related

Anyone got any other examples (preferable with links to the episodes on the net)? I remember 'Murder She Wrote' also had a laughable 'Oirish' episode as well.
    most convincing accent in this was Clive from neighbours!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ixoy wrote: »
    Oh and I'm struggling to get through Season 3 of "Sons of Anarchy" due to the awful potrayal of Ireland. The accents are generally rubbish (only one was good and he ain't in it anymore) and apparently Belfast is stuck in a time warp in the '70: people only play rebel songs and everyone is in the 'Ra (just like the song).

In fact for ages they kept gun running for the IRA - had the writers even heard of the Good Friday Agreement?

Not to mention Jimmy's Oirish/Cockney/American accent which often changed mid-sentence!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There are a few more obscure ones here along with most already mentioned. The Captain Planet one was brilliant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Captain Planet and his crew come to Belfast to deal with a nuke!

Sean and Stuart's new bakery was firebombed by both sides shortly after Captain Planet left.. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

lord lucan wrote: »
    Not to mention Jimmy's Oirish/Cockney/American accent which often changed mid-sentence!!

A good time as ever to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, but I do think the Heroes stint in Cork deserves the award for worst portrayal. It was borderline racist (in so far as you can call the irish a race) and so factually incorrect that clearly not a single writer or member of the production team had even bothered to even research Ireland, never mind come here.

I remember that, a brother and sister with completely different accents (neither of them Cork), Cork has skyscrapers apparently, at least though we were portrayed has being in the ipod age though.

Anyone remember the old X Men aninimated cartoon from the 90s? The character of Banshee is meant to be from Co.Mayo, his accent however was anything but, even verging on Scottish at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Not really "Paddywackery", but has to be seen to be believed. Scenes from US cable show Deadliest Warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

I know it's only a kids program, but I was watching the cartoon Jackie Chan adventures and they were in Ireland for this episode. The accents were hilarious!! There was a chase scene, and Jackie Chan even ran through a potato factory :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

On a related note, actor Gerard Butler had the good grace to apologise for his dreadful 'Oirish' accent in 'PS I love you'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Heroes is the one thats stands out the most for me. I just remember noticing so many things that if you had researched the tiniest bit you would know was wrong. The police all had guns and there were steam grates everywhere on streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Young Indiana Jones' portrayal of Ireland wasn't too bad, at least you know there was some research put in with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

The Koreans made an entire drama titled Ireland.

edit: Oh yeah and it was a hit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Koreans made an entire drama titled Ireland.

edit: Oh yeah and it was a hit here.

They're into their dramatic music

Reminds me of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I never saw that Heroes ep, does anyones have a link? ive wanted to see it since it was shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cryptkeeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62heGj-aJ8&feature=related

An old 90's show, set in Oirland... skip to the 4 min mark on the video, let the cringing begin...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

apologies for bumping this old thread

but holy mother of god:eek:

did any of you see Murder she Wrote this afternoon on RTE1

it was one of those "oirish" specials and the thing was it was an all yank cast doing god awful paddy accents....it was so bad it was great:) begob

fryup wrote: »
    apologies for bumping this old thread

but holy mother of god:eek:

did any of you see Murder she Wrote this afternoon on RTE1

it was one of those "oirish" specials and the thing was it was an all yank cast doing god awful paddy accents....it was so bad it was great:) begob
    i have seen it....classic stuff...the fact that the shortcut was through and old cemetary was funny too

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭An Sionnach Glic

A couple of 'treats' for you all:

The whole 'Oirish' episode of Mission Impossible from the late 80s is up on Dailymotion here. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxeueu_s2e9-mission-impossible-1988-banshee_lifestyle

And here's the 'Celtic Riddle' episode of Murder She Wrote.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/10065660/murder_she_wrote_the_celtic_riddle/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

That's definitely the worst I've ever seen. The accents, mother of god. Da Oi Pods.

The Cork Heroes eps, clearly filmed on the legendary Universal "Little Europe", where all of the old Universal horror and Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films were done, as were Murder She Wrote, Columbo, various TV shows, Around the World in 80 Days, so recognisable to a film nerd, looked more like Paris (the streets are intended to be generic Europe, and was designed in the 1920s) and there were pound signals.

Murder She Wrote had a fictional Irish brand of perfume, "Celtic Breeze", ponytailed Irish dancers, blokes in flat caps, "making love with a man with a pipe in his mouth" as dialogue, etc, to be fair, the England episodes were just as bad. "Viscount of Blackraven" me arse, Trevor Eve with a mullet as a MI^ JB Fletcher fanboy trying to fake some agent's death me arse, a Victorian music hall still pulling in people in 1985, even with punk couples in the audience, Olivia Hussey trying to do a Manchester accent with Patrick "Steed" MacNee as her comedy Mancunian dad, Lansbury as her English cousin Emma with a kind of weird Liverpool Irish accent, Latino extras in turbans to look like the British Asian community, Glynis Johns' Irish accent, Uncomfortable looking extras in American cop outfits wandering around a red phone box....

Remington Steele was made atArdmore, atMary Tyler Moore owned Ardmore, and produced RS. Frank Kelly was in it, at one point.

Advertisement