Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Blonde Head Issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Denis7

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »
    Since starting this thread I've come across some nice Beck's widget glasses and they make a huge difference to the head retention.
    I've been sipping away at a pint of it for the last 20 mins and it's as good as you would get in any pub.
    I have a coopers mexican cervasa on the go at the minute and I've bottled a pear cider and a normal cider aswell since I started
    I'm slowly running out of storage space so I suppose I'm goin to have to start drinking it a bit quicker:D

Hey Foxhunter, where'd you get those widget glasses? I live in Cork and they sound the biz. Im in the middle of drinking a batch of Canadian Blonde (3 or 4 bottles twice a week) and they get better with each one I open. I've got 25 bottles left and a Coopers IPA in the fermenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Denis7 wrote: »
    Hey Foxhunter, where'd you get those widget glasses? I live in Cork and they sound the biz. Im in the middle of drinking a batch of Canadian Blonde (3 or 4 bottles twice a week) and they get better with each one I open. I've got 25 bottles left and a Coopers IPA in the fermenter.

I can't answer that question on the grounds that it may harm my defence if questioned about something that I may later rely on in court :D:D:D.

Seriously though I have a friend in the bar trade who sorted a few for me and they are the dogs.
    I've since finished the canadian blonde and started on a mexican cervasa which is top of the range aswell if i do say so myself.
    I have an australian pale ale on the go in the fermenter at the minute ready to bottle in a few days.

No bother and thanks for pointing me in the right direction tho! What temp is your IPA at? I had a brew belt on mine for the first day but the temp went up to 26C so I took it off. Its at 1012 now and the SG was 1042 4 days ago. Got a bit of a fright when I got home and saw how the temp had risen, s'pose all those fermentables being gobbled up by the yeast generated a lot more heat than I anticipated. Anyway, should be bottling it shortly. Last question, do you use carbonation drops? The kit I bought recommends 1 per 500ml PET bottle, was thinking of bumping it up to one and a half per bottle...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Denis7 wrote: »
    No bother and thanks for pointing me in the right direction tho! What temp is your IPA at? I had a brew belt on mine for the first day but the temp went up to 26C so I took it off. Its at 1012 now and the SG was 1042 4 days ago. Got a bit of a fright when I got home and saw how the temp had risen, s'pose all those fermentables being gobbled up by the yeast generated a lot more heat than I anticipated. Anyway, should be bottling it shortly. Last question, do you use carbonation drops? The kit I bought recommends 1 per 500ml PET bottle, was thinking of bumping it up to one and a half per bottle...

Mine is running between 18 and 22c I just leave it to it's own devices but it takes a bit longer to brew I find when I dont use the brew belt.
    I use 1 carbonation drop per 500ml bottle and 2 in the bigger champagne type 750ml.
    I substituted the sugar in this brew with a light spray malt this time so it will be interesting to see what difference that will make.

I used 500g of spray malt and 300g of dextrose, only just finding my feet with the whole home brew thing, so I guess its experimenting all the way for a while. Beernut reckons that replacing the dextrose with spray malt is the way to go. I'm gonna try a sparkling ale after the IPA's done and take his advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrtickel

Hi denis7 id say bulk prime it because its easier, Cheaper and less hassel and alot less work.
    To bulk prime i used about 100 to 110g of table sugar (for my IPA) desolved in 250 to 300ml of boiling water and let it cool to 25 or 30C and add to bottling bucket and then syphon beer into bottling bucket and then bottle its thats simple.
    I made the sparkling ale before and its the nicest beer i tasted and made as a kit and have another 1 on in 1 of my fermentors and im going to keg this 1.

Its up to you and what ever is the easiest for you but if you start bulk priming you will never use them drops again.;)

I think I will invest in a bottling bucket Mr Tickel. How does that work? connect a pipe to the tap on the fermenter and just let it drain into the bottling bucket? I just have the microbrewery kit from Coopers that comes with a little bottler thingy. Thanks

Denis

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

im currently drinking a batch i did around two months ago and have to say this beer only gets better without time without a doubt....after two weeks i wasnt gettind any head left them another while really nice beer

Yea thats how it work and its just alot better to transfer your beer from your fermentor to a secondary fermentor (bottling bucket) then you can bulk prime then bottle.:)

mrtickel wrote: »
    Yea thats how it work and its just alot better to transfer your beer from your fermentor to a secondary fermentor (bottling bucket) then you can bulk prime then bottle.:)

I've got Hydrometer readings of 1010 last nite and again tonite, problem is I wont be able to bottle for another 2 nites cos I have a ton of work to get through. Will my Coopers IPA be ok in the fermenter until Thursday nite? its Monday now and I reckon fermentation is done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It'll be fine for four or five weeks, I'd say.

Thanks BeerNut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lilbod

I started a Canadian Blonde last Wednesday, it's my first ever attempt at home brew.

I took a hydrometer reading 2 days ago and it was 1022, it's now been 7 days and it's still reading around 1022-1020, is there something wrong?

The instructions said it should only take 4-7 days so I'm starting to worry as it appears that fermentation is complete.

Suggestions anyone?!?!

Hi Lilbod and welcome

Can you tell me wat the tempature is of the beer because if the tempature is below 18c if can slow the fermentation and just take a little longer than what the instructions tell you.
    The instructions are only a guide for you and in time you will see them instructions are never always right.
    Id say leave another week or 2 then take another reading because when i made that kit it took 3 weeks to ferment.

Thanks for the reply.

Temps were between 22-26c so they were pretty high.

Have recently read about the 1020 curse! So maybe I'm experiencing that.

I did open the lid last night and gave it a gentle stir, must admit it did smell nice.

Tempature that high it could be finished fermentation but i would give it another week and see how it goes and giving it a swirl like you did it just might ferment out a bit more for you.
    If you dont get a lower reading than 1020 after a week you can still bottle the beer its just the ABV will be lower.

Just been to the local home brew shop, the guy in there sold me a small 3g packet of dry beer enzyme. He said it would re-start the fermentation. Fingers crossed!

Edit: 24 hours later and its bubbling like mad :-)

Thought I should give an update on this just incase anyone needs the info.

The dry beer enzyme got my brew down from 1020 to 1002 in two days!

Hope it still tastes ok, at least it should be some pretty powerful rocket fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

lilbod wrote: »
    Just been to the local home brew shop, the guy in there sold me a small 3g packet of dry beer enzyme. He said it would re-start the fermentation.

Did you try rousing the yeast first to get fermentation going again before using the beer enzyme ? Using beer enzyme should be only used as a last resort imo if rousing the yeast or adding a new yeast does not work. Your beer will be very dry with no body, there will be more alcohol but at a cost. Let the enzyme ferment out fully as it could go as low as 0998.

Yeah I tried rousing it but had no change for a few days so that's when I went ahead and put the beer enzyme in.

This is my first ever batch and I'm not expecting too much really, my 2nd batch I have on the go at the minute I'm just going to leave a bit longer and be more patient.

• Advertisement
Advertisement