Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Blonde Head Issue

Options
  • 04-02-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I brewed a coopers Canadian blonde kit a few weeks ago
    It was bottled last Tuesday and I used carbonation drops in the bottles. last night I decided to try one.
    It tasted very good but the head was non existent.
    Is this down to it not being conditioned enough yet or the fact that it was not chilled before serving?
    The OG was 1046 and the FG was 1006.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

That title is very misleading!:P

An yea it will need a good to weeks to fully carbonate

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

I knew I would get a fast response with the heading alright:D
    thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

could also be down to the detergent you wash your glass with sometimes can effect head. just bottled a canadian blonde myself last week ive never tasted it so looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Oh I thought this was something else.

I did not see the forum and thought the OP was having trouble getting head from a Canadian blonde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

hi
    bottled mine a week a week ago,
    tried a bottle last nite and no head either, seemed a little sweet to, probably needs a while longer to mature, i hope

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »
    I brewed a coopers Canadian blonde kit a few weeks ago
    It was bottled last Tuesday and I used carbonation drops in the bottles. last night I decided to try one.
    It tasted very good but the head was non existent.
    Is this down to it not being conditioned enough yet or the fact that it was not chilled before serving?
    The OG was 1046 and the FG was 1006.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Oh I thought this was something else.

I did not see the forum and thought the OP was having trouble getting head from a Canadian blonde

Unfortunately I don't know any Canadian Blonde's

GY A1 wrote: »
    hi
    bottled mine a week a week ago,
    tried a bottle last nite and no head either, seemed a little sweet to, probably needs a while longer to mature, i hope

Ya mine is exactly the same nice flavour to it though I'll give it another week and sample again .

wuben wrote: »
    could also be down to the detergent you wash your glass with sometimes can effect head. just bottled a canadian blonde myself last week ive never tasted it so looking forward to it!

I used the VWP sanitiser but I rinsed 3 times after soaking for 10 mins
    so hopefully that would remove the majority of it.
    I'm not using glass I have the ox-bar coopers bottles.
    I have a cider on the go at the minute and I'm planning on putting it in champagne bottles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If that's the coopers canadian blonde, i'd give it another 3 weeks at least

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »
    I used the VWP sanitiser but I rinsed 3 times after soaking for 10 mins
    so hopefully that would remove the majority of it.
    I'm not using glass I have the ox-bar coopers bottles.
    I have a cider on the go at the minute and I'm planning on putting it in champagne bottles though.

sorry i mean the glass you drink them out of like pint glass. sometimes the stuff you use in dishwasher or whatever can take head of beer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Hmm, I bought this for my next kit. Just trying to empty the current batch out of all these bottles before I go ahead and start brewing.

OP, what procedure did you follow, just in case its an issue with that kit?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hmm, I bought this for my next kit. Just trying to empty the current batch out of all these bottles before I go ahead and start brewing.

OP, what procedure did you follow, just in case its an issue with that kit?

I brewed it exactly by the instructions in the booklet that came with it.
    Since my first post I've moved the bottles into the hotpress the temp is about 22 in there and the bottles are firming up nicely.
    I'm going to try one at the weekend again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Gotta say the Canadian Blonde is very nice :)

Did you use the brewkit enhancer when making it? That'll improve head retention.

I tend to use a glass with a laser etching in the bottom of it to keep the head on the beer.

just craiced open a bottle of canadian blonde only in bottle a week but yea same issue with the head. no head retention at all hopefull time will solve this as im having party in 15days and thats what the batch was for:) taste nice thou!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Head is fine for me, this is what I currently have in front of me :)

Update

OK it's been 5 days since I started the thread and the bottles have been sitting in the hot press at around the 22 celsius.
    I stuck one in the fridge earlier this evening for a second taste test and the results are like night and day it has come on in leaps and bounds.
    The woman has even tried it and reckons it's the business so all in all it's a good job I reckon and I'll be brewing it again.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrtickel

Hello

I brewed that kit twice and had the same problem. It does be slow to carbonate.
    The first time i brew it i used the carb. drops and the second time i brewed it i bulked prime it which only took 1/4 the time. I bulk prime all my beers any more alot more easier and less hassel and cheaper.
    The beer tastes really good and light if you can let it mature for a few weeks. Trust me you will be happy you left an extra week or 2 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

+1 on leaving the the blonde wait

Has anyone who's brewed this every actually gotten tipsy on it though as I have found coopers blonde pretty lite? any idea on how to bump up the %, maybe more sugar during priming???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Armelodie wrote: »
    maybe more sugar during priming?
    = more CO2 = exploding bottles. If you're adding more fermentables add them before bottling and let them ferment out completely.

Yea i have gotten drunk on that beer mine was 4.3% and if you want more% you have to add more sugars at the start and take a hydrometer reading so you will no excatly what it is or going to be.

• Advertisement

Just kicked off my 2nd brew, this canadian blonde. Oddly enough my OG is roughly 1036!! That seems a bit low!

Since starting this thread I've come across some nice Beck's widget glasses and they make a huge difference to the head retention.
    I've been sipping away at a pint of it for the last 20 mins and it's as good as you would get in any pub.
    I have a coopers mexican cervasa on the go at the minute and I've bottled a pear cider and a normal cider aswell since I started
    I'm slowly running out of storage space so I suppose I'm goin to have to start drinking it a bit quicker:D

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Just kicked off my 2nd brew, this canadian blonde. Oddly enough my OG is roughly 1036!! That seems a bit low!

I had an OG of 1046 on mine and an OG of 1056 on the Mexican Cervasa but I used a brew enhancer in that so I'm presuming that's why the OG is so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

hey guys
    bottled mine 5-6 weeks ago, was very sweet at start,

had few tonite and its the bizz, bloody tasty and as good as anything from shops, nice fizz and plenty head retention to :D

I have brewed the coopers mexician creaves before and there is not much taste or flavor it was missing something. If i was going to make it again i would maybe dry hop it to give it some taste but needless to say i drank it all :D
    If you want a good coopers kit to make go for the sparkling ale it is the best kit i have made and have another in the fermentor the taste and flavor is lovely.
    Just to let you know im a lager drinker and the ale is starting to taste better than the lager.

I started my brew of this Coopers Canadian blonde on Tuesday evening. It start bubbling away after 24 hours or so, but now its completely stopped (Friday).

how long are you meant to leave it fermenting for? My last one I left for 2 weeks in the fermenter, then bottled and left for 3 weeks. I'll probably do the same here.

The only way you will no if it has stopped fermenting is take a hyromometer reading and also do you what tempature was it fermenting at?

its been at a steady 22oC all week.

I left my last one for 2 weeks in the fermenter, which was probably longer than needed. This was only on 3 days before it stopped bubbling but might give it a bit longer before bottling. I'd say at least a week total.

hey im drinking my batch of canadian blonde now......left it two weeks after bottling wasnt getting propper head when pouring.... gave it another week and half and its grand now very easy to drink nice head on it although i dont think its that strong had few last nite

• Advertisement

The_B_man id take a hydromometer reading to see what reading you get then you will no if it is finished or not.
    The 22c is on the high side for lagering but it will be ok, The higher temp. the quicker the beer ferments but you can get off flavors.

Advertisement