Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awake [NBC - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

:eek: - CONSPIRACY!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

That ending certainly raised the bar, and my interest....so his family were killed on purpose, since he was in the car i assume he was the target?
    So he remembers nothing, but on a subconscious level....he does, ergo the Awake universes are a piece of a puzzle.

Each week he'll find clues which will lead to him remembering what happened that night and who killed his family etc. ;)
    OK, that was much better overall, at least now the universes have a purpose....but i did note they made it even easier to know which universe was which :rolleyes:

Jesus....they must have a very low opinion of the American audience if they have to insert markers so as the audience know which verse we are in :rolleyes:

Plus they got rid of the green/red wrist bands :rolleyes: - but overall it was much better, as a proceadural case it was more interesting, they are using the therapy sessions like there is a battle going on between his conscious and subconscious mind.

In one the doc reaffirms his subconscious while the other warns his not to go there, it's like one part of his mind is trying to keep the truth from him....so there is a battle taking place.

The universes and arc was more focused and clear, they do seem to have a plan and endgame for all this green/red stuff....so i'll stick with it to see how far the rabbit hole really goes. :)

3.5/5

One other thing...it's being broadcast in Canada alot earlier then on NBC which airs it at 10pm, so basically it's available alot earlier, like 1am our time :-) [instead of 4am]

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

This show could go either way I think but I like it so far.

So will it be alternate timeline but aware of both or one is a very vivid dream state or something else.
    One shrink's office is bright and the guy is negative, other is dark and gloomy but she's positive. Is this just one of those gimicks that producers put into shows these days to make them more interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Loved the second episode even more than the first...
    Shame there was such a big drop in ratings this week (20% decline in the target demographic), but if it manages to remain steady at that and keeps getting critical acclaim, it could easily get a renewal... Especially since nearly all other NBC dramas look primed for cancellation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Was great till the "Angel of Cancellation" Laura Innes appeared

Wonder how long it will last now.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

youngblood wrote: »

oh good god you sound like richard one crappy show does not make her the angel of cancelation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

youngblood wrote: »

I always think Summer Glau is the angel of cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I thought the only thing lacking about it was the procedural copshow element but that was interesting all the same. Neither side was really fleshed out but is was interesting how they shared details, characters etc

My take on it is that neither world is real, both are in his head but the clues that are vital/present in each of the 'realities' are relative to the overall mystery of what happened before the car was crashed. I'm probably WAAAYYY off though :o:confused:
    Damn I'm good. :D:D:cool: I really should have more conviction in my theories!
    :eek: - CONSPIRACY!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

That ending certainly raised the bar, and my interest....so his family were killed on purpose, since he was in the car i assume he was the target?
    So he remembers nothing, but on a subconscious level....he does, ergo the Awake universes are a piece of a puzzle.

Each week he'll find clues which will lead to him remembering what happened that night and who killed his family etc. ;)
    OK, that was much better overall, at least now the universes have a purpose....but i did note they made it even easier to know which universe was which :rolleyes:

Jesus....they must have a very low opinion of the American audience if they have to insert markers so as the audience know which verse we are in :rolleyes:

Plus they got rid of the green/red wrist bands :rolleyes: - but overall it was much better, as a proceadural case it was more interesting, they are using the therapy sessions like there is a battle going on between his conscious and subconscious mind.

In one the doc reaffirms his subconscious while the other warns his not to go there, it's like one part of his mind is trying to keep the truth from him....so there is a battle taking place.

The universes and arc was more focused and clear, they do seem to have a plan and endgame for all this green/red stuff....so i'll stick with it to see how far the rabbit hole really goes. :)

3.5/5

The conspiracy has added another depth to the show that wasn'r present in the pilot. Really liked the second episode. The fact that one consciousness can feed off the details in the other one is a really interesting dynamic.
    Looking forward to the next one.

Solid third ep. albeit the plot was a bit predictable, one thing i noticed more in this ep. was the transition from the red to green verse has a distinct color palet. As in the sets in each of the psychiatrits offices. They use a red and green hue in each verse, the offices are painted red or green, the table behind the red verse has a big red book while the green verse a large green plant etc.

It was a strong proceadural story, but as i said after the pilot....the verses are primarily used to add a twist or dynamic to what is essential JUST a cop/crime proceadural. We got zero arc progression in this ep.

One thing i notice about Awake is that it's dealing alot with loss and grief as much as a proceadural, but i would like to see more arc, plot progression and forward momentum.....but it has improved alot since the pilot.

I'm giving it a chance, it has my interest but i need it to get going!

no your wrong its not just a cop procedural, both elements exist together

• Advertisement

Fresh ep. tonight....lets see show it goes.

If it's anyway like the first three episodes then I'll be really please. A great start to a really promising series.

Ah lads....in some ways ep. 4 was good as it showed how the babysitter making a choice in one reality reflected his own choices re: his son. But.....not a damn thing again to advance the plot + i noticed the production number was episode 8!, they are showing these out of sequence.

1ATR08 last night: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awake_%28TV_series%29#Episodes

I do like how the headshrinkers challenge his perception, like the explanation that he saw Kate first and then in the dream created the other Kate, but then the other therapist kinda fliped that theory on it's head etc.

Ah, dunno....i just want more juice. It fell to a 1.2 last night, poor Kyle Killeen :(
    Still...he's now beat Lone Star in episode count ;)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/03/23/tv-ratings-thursday-official-touch-premiere-lower-than-preview-community-falls-back-missing-awake-plummet/125713/

Em, since the branching point for each of the 'realities' is the car crash and the death of his son/wife, how did she spiral out of control so much since then? At what point did her sister die/not die for this to happen to her?

If these were truly different realities, then it would take something that influenced/related to the car crash to have an effect on the death of her sister. Now that I think about it, i cant really solve it in my head.

I liked the episode. Like you said Richard, not much in terms of moving the plot forward but was still a good one. Still utterly gripped by it.

Edit: So i completely forgot that her sister was dead in both the 'realities'. Wasn't she? Now this has messed up my head even more.

I do like how the headshrinkers challenge his perception, like the explanation that he saw Kate first and then in the dream created the other Kate, but then the other therapist kinda fliped that theory on it's head etc.
    thats the point, altough i did wonder why they didn't mention that he just got kidnapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

I do like this show and really like how you've got to stay awake watching it to keep up with which world he's in, though the colour shifts help but I don't like the green cast - it gives the world with his son a much more gritty, off-putting feel compared to the eternal sunshine of world with his wife. Maybe that's the clue; green = dull reality, orange = ideal dreamworld.

Anyway, the one thing that breaks the show for me are the scenes we the audience are shown that could not possibly have been part of his dream.

The story needs the scenes but the fact that the protagonist is not in them is odd. If it's a dream, he's aware of the facts thrown up but does not act on the info or appears not to know about it when he shifts.

For example, we find out about the sons motorbike project in one reality but he doesn't know anything about it until he finds out in the other, even though he 'dreamed' the scene.

That breaks the logic of the show for me, but I'm still watching and enjoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Just watched the first episode. Very good story and some excellent acting in this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah I'm up to episode 4 now. It's good but I think I was expecting something like 'Inception: The TV Series'.

Kinda feel like I should have a notepad while watching, it's kinda hard to match what case is what reality. The colour balance difference definitely helps though.

Just as Meep said though there have been a few scenes so far that only the audience has seen. The conspiracy meeting in the park, When Cooper kidnapped Rex, Hannah finding out about the motorcycle, Rex's fight with Cole etc.

Also during that conspiracy meeting, Laura Innes said "something something.....taking out his whole family"

"Certain to be cancelled" from Richard's favourite site anyway, I'll watch a few more maybe.

i09 called it a better american life on mars

i09 called it a better american life on mars
    Read that post the other day. Good read. It really is a shame that it seems like it's just not getting the following that it deserves.
    I think the latest two episodes have definitely been the strongest by far. The show really works best when one 'side' is focussed on with other aspects from the other side being consequential.

The show is always making me think about where it's heading and what's going on.

The fact that there have been a couple of scenes that only the viewer has seen doesn't really bother me at all. Is it bothering other people?

• Advertisement

bit of a meh episode

• Registered Users Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Awake has been picked up by Sky Atlantic

they seem to be putting a deliberate piece in between to flash between the two realities now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I haven't read very much around the show.
    Has it been confirmed that one of the realities is real and the other is false? Or has it been left up on the air that both could be false?

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I haven't read very much around the show.
    Has it been confirmed that one of the realities is real and the other is false? Or has it been left up on the air that both could be false?
    Currently I'm swaying towards neither of them being real but then again, I have no idea. Really enjoying the show.
    It's interesting that all the
    conspiracy stuff seems to be playing out in the world where his wife is still alive
    . the only way it enters the other 'reality is if Britten brings it in.

It pulled a 0.7 last week....100% axed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

DeWitt wrote: »
    Well that's put a downer on my day :(
    Could/would it be picked up by someone else?

Well that's put a downer on my day :(
    Could/would it be picked up by someone else?

Doubt it, twas lucky it got all 13 eps. aired. If it had aired earlier it would have been pulled from the schedule, still....it lasted longer then Lone Star :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Gah, I still think about Lone Star to this day. NBC *shakes fist*

Advertisement