Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awake [NBC - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What do they mean by the record?

Kyle Killen's previous show....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

promo vid> http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/02/awake-4-minute-promo.html

Lets hope it lasts longer then Lone Star!!!!!!!

^ footage is not new....but shows needs al the help it can get!!!!!!!

Looks like episode 1 has leaked into general circulation (by way of a rip of the full pilot from NBCs website). No talking about how/where to get this is allowed, but those who want to stay spoiler free may want to be careful while reading any posts after this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

Pilot episode is a free download on US iTunes. Very slow, can't say it was compelling, maybe the payoff comes later,
    Isaacs has no intention of resolving his situation and appears willing to sacrifice his sanity to maintain it. A character study in self-destruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The one new series I was looking out for this year, and I certainly thought it was worth the wait. A lot easier to follow than I thought it would be. Jason Isaacs is excellent in it,
    really enjoyed his scenes with the Asian therapist. Definitely the best part of the show
    . It seems like it will be a fascinating character drama with a some police work thrown in.

Now hopefully NBC do not ditch it, because it has real potential.

• Advertisement

I watched it, thought it was poor....very generic storyline, basically a proceadural with a tagged on plot extra, the production values were cheap. Acting not tha great imo....the shooter was a given once i saw the eye witness.

The red/green Awake state "universes" and that storyline was, imo, boring.....i dodn't like the pilot at all....can't fathom the praise.

Sure i'll give it one more, but i think it's not for me.

mgadget wrote: »
    Pilot episode is a free download on US iTunes. Very slow, can't say it was compelling, maybe the payoff comes later,
    Isaacs has no intention of resolving his situation and appears willing to sacrifice his sanity to maintain it. A character study in self-destruction?

He's the one dead imo, Lost via Sixth Sense :rolleyes:

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The one new series I was looking out for this year, and I certainly thought it was worth the wait. A lot easier to follow than I thought it would be. Jason Isaacs is excellent in it,
    really enjoyed his scenes with the Asian therapist. Definitely the best part of the show
    . It seems like it will be a fascinating character drama with a some police work thrown in.

Now hopefully NBC do not ditch it, because it has real potential.

Sure didn't Killeen/NBC do the whole "flashback to make sure stupid people get what scenes they saw 2 minutes ago" all over the pilot, they explained every detail in painful detail. From color coded armbands to flashbacks and a detective to a rookie cop etc.

It was overly explained, dumbed down ala Inception....the editing on the pilot was choppy, video edits and the audio from scenes seemed cut, it was the cheapest looking pilot i have seen in the current tv season.

I hate yer wan from Cold Case/Minority Report....and Valderama, didn't cop Fez but once he started the lisp i kept seeing That 70's Show :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loved it..

.. moarr please!

Basq wrote: »
    Loved it..

.. moarr please!

Really?..... :rolleyes:
    Basq...this is just a proceadural with a tagged on "mystery" plot to try make it look more then it is, he'll just move from red to green getting clues to slove cases....that's it!

The red/green verse holds no more depth then that imo, it's just a creator ploy to get greenlit, honestly i though the pilot was really bad, and i've been looking forward to it since news first filtered through :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thought it was great... Can't wait for more...

Basq...this is just a proceadural with a tagged on "mystery" plot to try make it look more then it is, he'll just move from red to green getting clues to slove cases....that's it!

The red/green verse holds no more depth then that imo, it's just a creator ploy to get greenlit, honestly i though the pilot was really bad, and i've been looking forward to it since news first filtered through :(
    I think you're over analysing based on a 40 minute pilot Rich!

This show has a lot of promise - great performances from all involved and the most important thing is why is this "waking" between two realities happening - is it simply psychological or is there a more supernatural element involved.

Another thing it did quite well is with a storyline like this, the majority of US shows would have it's main character revel in grief for half the duration of the pilot. We got very little of that, and yet we still understood Michael's grief.

It's a crime drama, or "procedural", at heart.. but what's wrong with that? I think by-and-large your average TV watcher wouldn't tune into a serialized drama about a guy "waking" between two realities and he's goes about his day in one, and his day in the other. You need something to ground the show.. make it a bit more mainstream.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Even more intrigued now that I know Richard didn't like it as that's often a good sign :-D must watch soon.

ixoy wrote: »
    Even more intrigued now that I know Richard didn't like it as that's often a good sign :-D must watch soon.

Ouch. :o

I'll watch it tonight.

ixoy wrote: »

Cheeky git! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

saw first episode. very good! 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Enjoyed the first episode. Its an excellent spin the police procedural.

Getting rave reviews all over the shop, must be me then.......

http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/review-nbc-awake-premieres-march-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

very good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The guys on the Fire & iceberg podcast still claim the pilot is excellent but they have reservations about the series as whole having watched 4 episodes.

Apparently the underlying mystery doesn't work as well as the week by week procedural aspects.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The guys on the Fire & iceberg podcast still claim the pilot is excellent but they have reservations about the series as whole having watched 4 episodes.

Apparently the underlying mystery doesn't work as well as the week by week procedural aspects.

Toldja!....tis just using the Awake state elements to further the main proceadural plot points, gimmik.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Toldja!....tis just using the Awake state elements to further the main proceadural plot points, gimmik.
    Yeah, it looks like you were spot on.

I've yet to watch the pilot. Will have a watch of it over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

a police procedure wasn't very complex because i thought his family were the main story, of course it could disappoint, bet neither red or green are real.

I enjoyed this - (Hello to) Jason Isaacs is a fine actor and it was quite intriguing, though I would love if the crimes continued over the episodes, rather a new one week-to-week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Good start, interesting to see how long the 2 worlds storyline can hold up before it's just another gimmick.

Tristram wrote: »
    Good start, interesting to see how long the 2 worlds storyline can hold up before it's just another gimmick.

Imo i think Kileen was harpooned by the network to make it more "proceadural" and tone down the Awkae aspects. Basq suggested an intresting point....that if he's constantly awake and not sleeping will he decend into madness....that would make for interesting tv!

But i don't think it'll go that route, listen i am at least gonna watch the first 4, or since they reboooted the show after ep. 4 maybe it gets better then?

Review: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/03/sixth-inception-analysis-of-awake.html

http://ie.tv.ign.com/articles/121/1219719p1.html

The ratings are in! http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/02/awake-rating/

1.9 demo....epic fail!

The ratings are in! http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/02/awake-rating/

1.9 demo....epic fail!
    I'd be lying if I said I expected good ratings tbh..

.. but as the article says, it is the best ratings for that timeslot all season.

I wouldn't expect a cancellation as quick as Lonestar with those ratings anyways, despite how poor they may seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just watched it there. Thought it was utterly fantastic.

The first seven minutes hooked me.
    Here it is for those that are interested.

I thought the only thing lacking about it was the procedural copshow element but that was interesting all the same. Neither side was really fleshed out but is was interesting how they shared details, characters etc

My take on it is that neither world is real, both are in his head but the clues that are vital/present in each of the 'realities' are relative to the overall mystery of what happened before the car was crashed. I'm probably WAAAYYY off though :o:confused:

I loved the way that there is not sudden jump into the dream, or a sudden awakening from either side.

I'll deffo be coming back for more.

• Advertisement

Eppy 2 tonight...see i'm gonna be fair with this show, give it a chance and least give it a few eps. to prove itself, but right now it's on my "delete" list...........

Advertisement