Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford/Westmeath Constituency debate Support

Options
  • 04-02-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am trying to set up the following event;

21st February 2011 - Longford Arms Hotel, Longford

We aim to get at least 8 prospective TD’s standing in the forthcoming general election to debate for 1.5 hours about their policies and what they offer local people and will do to improve all our lives during the next government Session.

They will have the opportunity to give their parties point of view with an opening address and also using set questions debate topics and point their view across. We will also take one question from the audience which will be unseen. (Keep them on their toes).

The independent chairperson for the night, hopefully will be ……

Confirmed TD’s

Mary O’Rouke (FF)
    Mae Sexton (Labour)
    Peter Kelly (FF)
    Paul Hogan (SF)

What we are proposing has never been down before and is likely to draw national coverage. Never before has an Irish Constituency debate being live streamed over the internet allowing us to offer the debate to anyone with an internet connection or iPhone. Not only can they communicate throughout the whole constituency but the whole world.

The event will be covered not only for the general public but also the debate will be shown live on the Internet on Longfordtv.com and westmeathtv.com but also on our media partners websites also. You will also be able to watch it on your iPhone. The event will be recorded and available for playback the following day.

We are aiming to get a local radio station to cover the event live and broadcast live on the night.

Would anyone here support it? We have facebook/twitter setup and a website www.longfordtv.com what we need is to gather momentum and somebody with a lot of friends in Longford to help us publicise it in the early stages.

Can you help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

Sounds like a great idea. I will be watching live from New York. I will put the word out for you over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 b4boxer

Boxer launched his campgain on thursday night.

Boxer get things done !!

The time for talking is over !!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭IPR_Iain

b4boxer wrote: »

Boxer get things done !!

Boxer said no, Obv. not interested in debating against others, The extra hour on the door will do him good i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Great ideas op ... Anything that promotes democracy is to be applauded.

Would u contact Longford Womens Link ... They have a forum type thing on women in politics ... 043 3345111. They may be able to put bums on seats for u.

The Longford arms is FF home territory ... Would the temperance hall or the backstage be a better venue.

Keep us posted ... Will be delighted to spread the word around! I will ask any non-participating canvassers what they are afraid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

Boxer get things done !!

Boxer is a Fine Failer all his life and is running as an Independant to try and cod people. and you have set up an account on politics and boards to talk shíte about him!!

Good idea OP. what about James Bannon? I saw him today i should of reminded him! Have you asked tried to publicise it in the Longford Leader? Maaybe write into the letters section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Great idea... I'll head along to the Longford Arms on the night. If you can add James Bannon and Willie Penrose to the event, you'll have the all main candidates in Longford/Westmeath. As it stands now, with the four you already have on board, any candidate who refuses to participate stands to lose votes over it.

As for Kevin 'Boxer' Moran... anyone who can fit their whole agenda onto a three-fold brochure is an absolute chancer. If he had faith in his campaign he wouldn't have any problem facing-off against his rivals.

Edit: I've passed on info of this event to the Longford Leader. Should be of great interest to them...

baldbear wrote: »
    Boxer is a Fine Failer all his life and is running as an Independant to try and cod people. and you have set up an account on politics and boards to talk shíte about him!!

Good idea OP. what about James Bannon? I saw him today i should of reminded him! Have you asked tried to publicise it in the Longford Leader? Maaybe write into the letters section?

Longford leader are on board to cover it and are media partners, As are Mullingar Advertsier, Athlone Advertiser, Shannonside FM, Mid 103 and RTE.

The Longford Leader will have a piece in this weeks edition.

Knit wit wrote: »
    Great ideas op ... Anything that promotes democracy is to be applauded.

Would u contact Longford Womens Link ... They have a forum type thing on women in politics ... 043 3345111. They may be able to put bums on seats for u.

The Longford arms is FF home territory ... Would the temperance hall or the backstage be a better venue.

Keep us posted ... Will be delighted to spread the word around! I will ask any non-participating canvassers what they are afraid of.

Thanks for the support, I will be in touch for certain. I had no idea it was FF territory. It may be a bit late to change venue.

Confirmed candidates as it stands

Mae Sexton
    Mary O'Rourke
    Paul Hogan
    Donal Jackson

Still waiting on a couple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

On the night could you ask Mae Sexton what party she will run for in the next election:rolleyes:

But its a good idea and good luck with it. I shall be voting in a different area of the country this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 b4boxer

Are FG going to attend.

McFadden is most noted in Athlone for Claiming Expenses.

Westmeath Examiner 20th January 2010
    Athlone's Senator Nicky McFadden (Fine Gael) claimed €49,700 in expenses on top of her basic salary of c. €65,000...................... Athlone's Senator Nicky McFadden said that most of her expenses go on secretarial allowances, office costs and travel.

Boxer is most noted for getting things done NOT for claiming expenses.

If you have just been cut € 8 in your blind pension or had a cut in careers allowance................Hard to see protest votes and transfers going to McFadden and FG.

Protest votes are most likley to go to Boxer and Hogan SF. Not FG and ex-PD.

Boxer is not afraid to face the voters on the doorstep.

The time for debate is over !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Can a mod remove this post and user, only 5 posts all talking up one person :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 td4longford

Are FG going to attend.

Athlone's Senator Nicky McFadden (Fine Gael) claimed €49,700 in expenses on top of her basic salary of c. €65,000...................... Athlone's Senator Nicky McFadden said that most of her expenses go on secretarial allowances, office costs and travel.

If you have just been cut € 8 in your blind pension or had a cut in careers allowance................Hard to see protest votes and transfers going to McFadden and FG.

Is this true? Too much focus on Athlone squabbles, Longford needs a TD.

Hopefully Bannon will also attend !!

Bannon has not confirmed.

They{his team} are considering it.

I hope I don't hear the old chesnut - Oh my schedule doesn't allow me too.

I think it is important that all Longford candidates are there.

We will ask Kelly to reconsider his position and come along. Hopefully Bannon will take this opportunity to come along and do his stuff.

Longford has enjoyed two TD's last term. This time it is not as cut dry. Hence Mary O'Rourke and Paul Hogan travelling to do this debate.

IPR_Iain wrote: »

We will ask Kelly to reconsider his position and come along. Hopefully Bannon will take this opportunity to come along and do his stuff.

Longford has enjoyed two TD's last term. This time it is not as cut dry. Hence Mary O'Rourke and Paul Hogan travelling to do this debate.

Out of interest, could you tell us the name of the group/organisation you're working for on setting this up? I find it a bit strange that the website mentions 'Official Media Partners' and the like, but no mention of the organisers themselves.

Out of interest, could you tell us the name of the group/organisation you're working for on setting this up? I find it a bit strange that the website mentions 'Official Media Partners' and the like, but no mention of the organisers themselves.

Yip. Plus Ev Media Ltd is the company behind it. It is my company and the whole exercise is to demonstrate the power of live streaming and what can be done on a local scale.

The event itself is cheap to organised and the night itself will be non profit making.

I have no other motive other than showing some techno-phobes in the local enterprise board exactly what can be achieved.

I will add the details you request to the website shortly.

Yip. Plus Ev Media Ltd is the company behind it. It is my company and the whole exercise is to demonstrate the power of live streaming and what can be done on a local scale.

The event itself is cheap to organised and the night itself will be non profit making.

I have no other motive other than showing some techno-phobes in the local enterprise board exactly what can be achieved.

I will add the details you request to the website shortly.

Thanks for clarifying that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 afewfs

What a great idea !!

What is the start time?

If on daytime will it be available for download or will if be broadcast again in evening?

afewfs wrote: »
    What a great idea !!

What is the start time?

If on daytime will it be available for download or will if be broadcast again in evening?

9.30pm in evening. It will be recorded and available to watch every day upto Election day.

Senator Nicky McFadden (FG) today made a change to her schedule, so she could make the live Debate on 21st Febraury. This surprise move came as a bit of a shock to the organises Plus Ev Media who welcomed Nicky to attend.
    Her team made sure they cleared the space, so she could attend as she felt that speaking to her consituency in this debate was very important.

We hope a few more may clear there diary's.

Fair play to Nicky coming on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Longfordlad

Iain, I know of at least 1 candidate above who has NOT confirmed that they will be present at the debate. A number of other questions I would like to ask you is, if you have all the candidates attending at your debate, what format will that debate take? How are you going to ensure that the debate is carried out in a manner that doesn’t involve the whole thing turning into a ridiculous shouting match and therefore the viewer not being able to decipher any of the policies being debated etc? How are you going to allot time? Will the whole thing turn into a political broadcast for each attendee with no real time to debate issues because of the number of candidates. I cannot see this format working!

One candidate is tentative, I have emails from everyone else saying they will be there.

The format of the debate will be a one podium system. This will allow for candidates to get across their message. And allow for debate.
    We will not have candidates screaming at each other it will be controlled so only one can speak at a time. It will be easy for people to watch and listen as there will be 200 people in the hall as well.

We want them to put their point of view across with time for candidates to react to comments made. We will actively seek candidates make the issues local if they can.

Once the final format is agreed, I will post here so you can comment further.

It is shocking that we have only one candidate from Longford willing to attend. Do Kelly and Bannon have nothing to say to us in Longford. It is crazy that the other guys travel from outside the county to make this debate when our local lot can not be bothered.

You should ask them if they call on you

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Are FG going to attend.

I'm sorry... I'd rather have Mc Fadden or O' Roarke (whom I deplore) represent our constituency at national level. I can see them making pro active, intelligent, contributions to policy making in Leinster House. I don't think that expenses are the big issue nationally. I think they should be curtailed but believe that salaries should be scaled as they are, considering the demanding nature of national politics!

I don't think Boxer would be a good representation for the Longford Westmeath constituency. I also think that Boxer going for Dail is a selfish move! Because he will get a good vote and split those of other candidates meaning there is a good chance Athlone will be without representation!

neaideabh wrote: »
    I'm sorry... I'd rather have Mc Fadden or O' Roarke (whom I deplore) represent our constituency at national level. I can see them making pro active, intelligent, contributions to policy making in Leinster House. I don't think that expenses are the big issue nationally. I think they should be curtailed but believe that salaries should be scaled as they are, considering the demanding nature of national politics!

I don't think Boxer would be a good representation for the Longford Westmeath constituency. I also think that Boxer going for Dail is a selfish move! Because he will get a good vote and split those of other candidates meaning there is a good chance Athlone will be without representation!

neaideabh - good point - he seems from the Boards Vote to be getting a good few in. Surely this will hurt O'Rourke chances in a big way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 imfgohome

Great idea !! Well done to the guys putting the debate together.

Will there be an opportunity for the listners or audience to put questions to the politicians?

imfgohome wrote: »
    Great idea !! Well done to the guys putting the debate together.

Will there be an opportunity for the listners or audience to put questions to the politicians?

We will be keeping some time at the end for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 imfgohome

Organisers will have thier work cut out keeping some time for questions.

Between rolling out, going forward, 5 to 15 point plans, smart economy, political reform, bottom up development ............. like a kerry fotbball team runing down the clock to full time (I live in Westmeath from Cork) there might not be time for audience questions.......

This event is shaping as one to watch !!!

Longford candidates Mae Sexton, Peter Kelly and James Bannon all on Shannonside FM at 1.30pm. Should be a good scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

I think I heard jb promising some of the 25 jobs fg will create will come to Longford ...
    MS came across pretty well ... Even though it's hard to see her as a labour candidate ... PK sounded threatening ... Vote for me or Longford will be ruined! Fun fun fun

• Advertisement

Knit wit wrote: »
    I think I heard jb promising some of the 25 jobs fg will create will come to Longford ...
    MS came across pretty well ... Even though it's hard to see her as a labour candidate ... PK sounded threatening ... Vote for me or Longford will be ruined! Fun fun fun

Ironic stance from the man who stood by and watched the local economy stagnate while the rest of the country prospered during the 'boom' years; the ultimate result being that the Longford area has suffered more than most during this recession. He also stood idly by whilst the barracks was shut. He's been nothing but a 'yes-man', willingly accepting the first answer he was given by his superiors and returning to his constituants, wringing his hands, shrugging his shoulders and saying "I tried". :rolleyes:

An absolute embarrassment to the people of Longford. He has some cheek standing for re-election, in my opinion.

Advertisement