Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very gusty out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Beasty wrote: »
    I guess I'm a bit of a masochist, but quite enjoyed the "challenge" this morning

I'll enjoy the tailwind even more tonight though ...

Me too, is was kind of fun. The legs were sore enough before I got on the bike this morning, was wishing I had the option of changing gear. Looking forward spinning out on the way home and my rest day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I guess I'm a bit of a masochist, but quite enjoyed the "challenge" this morning

Forecast is for winds to abate with gusts of up to 3-5 kph along exposed coasts by lunchtime and then veering north-easterly in the afternoon and reaching storm force by rush hour. I spun out the 53-11 on the way in this morning- I might manage it again this evening:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's not the effort required to push through the wind that bothers me - it's getting flung under the wheels of a truck.....

.......safety first:)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0ON2PAJs2kb9a6N6y7ExIT5m_74TSojL2MNy3R-y7DZASmeb4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Indeed, I wouldn't mind the wind so much if it stayed in the same direction, even if it was a headwind. For some bizarre reason on my commute it seems to swirl all over the place so you end up leaning into it when it's trying to blow you onto the kerb, only for it to change direction suddenly and shove you into the middle of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Well that was one of the most eventful rides i've had in a while. Never before have i been out of the saddle struggling DOWN a 6% grade before. That said spinning out @82kph is fun...in a terrifying sort of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

100Suns wrote: »
    Forecast is for winds to abate with gusts of up to 3-5 kph along exposed coasts by lunchtime and then veering north-easterly in the afternoon and reaching storm force by rush hour. I spun out the 53-11 on the way in this morning- I might manage it again this evening:D

Where are you getting the North easterly from? From here it's staying south westerly all the way through...

Interesting times at Malin Head this morning. Gale force winds at midnight gradually abated to about 3kt around 0900 before shooting back up to gale force in the space of about 5 minutes! Gusts over 120kph...

attachment.php?attachmentid=146556&stc=1&d=1296831340

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

So will tomorrow be all clear for cycling? I don't want to do a Sherry Bobbins and get pulled into a low flying jet's turbine.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You had a slower one in the month of May?
    Not according to my spreadsheet - where are you getting my data from?

Anyway, according to Accuweather it's currently blowing at 62kph with gusts of up to 96kph, from the WSW

Now if only it could switch round to SSW ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    So will tomorrow be all clear for cycling?

Jeez, I dunno. Never look at the forecast anyway. Looks like wet and windy throughout though not as bad as today...

Beasty wrote:
    Anyway, according to Accuweather it's currently blowing at 62kph with gusts of up to 96kph, from the WSW

Now if only it could switch round to SSW ...

Don't forget that the wind direction backs overland compared with over the sea so you might get your wish...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,044 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looking at windguru their forcasting very low winds from 6am on. about 5 knots gusting 15 knots so you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

it was windier than blazing saddles. exhilirating! Also am enjoying letting off steam at the FF canvasers populating the junctions in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, very exciting cycle this evening. I hope that tomorrow is less engrossing.

Advertisement