Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very gusty out

Options
  • 03-02-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

I'm just in off the bike and I can't recommend cycling. I ended up walking at times due to the wind and it's almost impossible to keep it steady in the gusts especially anywhere thats exposed. If you can use another form of transport if you're commuting home. :(

I was out in Clontarf/Raheny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭g0g

Certainly around Dublin 8 it's absolutely wild! Shook my car on South Circular Road. I live in sheltered enough apartment complex and could barely open my balcony door a few mins ago with the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Very windy around beaumont and coolock at the moment. Was in Portmarnock earlier about 2pm and was blowing stink there aswell. Looks like my plans for an evening spin into clontarf on the cycleway are gone. Also I have seen a few election posters blowing around the roads and paths at a fair speed so watch out for them if you are cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Yeah, just got blown off my bike in Blackrock (Dublin).

Was terrified one of those big election posters was going to come flying at me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

g0g wrote: »
    Certainly around Dublin 8 it's absolutely wild! Shook my car on South Circular Road. I live in sheltered enough apartment complex and could barely open my balcony door a few mins ago with the wind!

Ahhh... bugger :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'll be heading out the coast from Clontarf. Tell my wife I love her! Actually, she'll be going that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I've got it on my back the whole way home. Woot woot.

0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Will chance it going home through Fairview/Howth Road but might give my planned couple of laps of Howth a miss later on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm playing soccer after work in Carlow and will have to drive back to KK soaking wet :( I must make a note to always leave a base layer in the car. Group cycling could be interesting. I can give you expert advice if you're cycling against it, nobody sucks wheels quite as good as me.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

In my face!

Should be grand tho:

935+bike+jean+claude+rude-600x383.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Considering cycling from D.8 to Raheny, it'll be behind me for most the way....

Edit: the Mother just called, I'm DARTin' it or I'm subject to her wrath. Which ain't pretty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Sticking to the rollers today, very windy here in Roscommon. One of our hens just laid the same egg three times. ;)

Turns out it's fine heading out along the coast, faster for sure, but fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Up around the lakes N81 was a nightmare today wild crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Was behind me most of the way home, hardly had to pedal it was great!
    Until, I got home - the wind caught the door and blew it wide open and took me and the bike with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

In all my foolhardiness I headed out to Howth Head from Stillorgan this afternoon, probably the worst spin I've had in the past year - 45 mins to get there, an hour and a half to come back, sub-10mph, bursting legs & lungs, at seemingly 45 degree angles, dodgin' flyin Enda Kenny's... not cool

Good training tho! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Its horrible out there nearly came off a few times and got hit by an election poster on pearse st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Take care out there. Times is reporting a fatality on Waterloo Road, D4, caused by a falling tree - possibly a cyclist or pedestrian.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0203/breaking56.html

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Raam wrote: »
    I'll be heading out the coast from Clontarf. Tell my wife I love her! Actually, she'll be going that way too.

You obviously haven't told her about Malin Head last September:eek:

I was nearly man handled by Joan Bruton (well her poster) going through Castleknock. I'll not sleep tonight.

• Advertisement

100Suns wrote: »
    You obviously haven't told her about Malin Head last September:eek:

My bro and Kev drew that short straw. We had to meet them in Buncrana instead of Letterkenny, it was that bad. That said, the overnight from Giants Causeway to Derry (I think) wasn't exactly what I would call fun. It was great up until we turned west.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Raam wrote: »
    My bro and Kev drew that short straw. We had to meet them in Buncrana instead of Letterkenny, it was that bad. That said, the overnight from Giants Causeway to Derry (I think) wasn't exactly what I would call fun. It was great up until we turned west.

It's starting to come flooding back! I nearly popped a wheelie coming off the Foyle Bridge. I was changing up the gears going down losing speed all the way-was going to start throwing out traffic cones to warn traffic of a stationery object in the road.

For anyone wondering about training to replicate the climbs in the Etape or Marmotte, 2 hours steady into that block headwind, over geared, would be good training.

Foyle, yes that's where we changed. Christ, that was awful heading into there. That said, I think it was a lot easier than the beating the boys took in Malin Head. They are still talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

100Suns wrote: »
    2 hours steady into that block headwind,
    Those are Belgian* hills aren't they?

*Sorry Sean, I meant Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

cantalach wrote: »

Waaaaaaait a second.

The real Chopper doesnt have ears.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Slowest commute in 15 months this morning - 23.9kph into gusts of 50-70kph for most of the way

Hopefully the return journey will be a bit faster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Flew home yesterday evening - left the bike this morning. Somehow cycling into it instead of with it doesn't seem as much fun.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    Somehow cycling into it instead of with it doesn't seem as much fun.
    I guess I'm a bit of a masochist, but quite enjoyed the "challenge" this morning

I'll enjoy the tailwind even more tonight though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Beasty wrote: »
    Slowest commute in 15 months this morning - 23.9kph into gusts of 50-70kph for most of the way

Hopefully the return journey will be a bit faster...

You had a slower one in the month of May?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wind & wet isn't nearly as much fun. Hit 60km/h on Wednesday morning, only managed 52 this morning cos I was covering my brakes. Painful last night, didn't even bother checking my average. Just stuck it into the smaller ring and spun home.

Advertisement