Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

god damned election posters!! /Merge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

can people post pics on here of defaced or burnt election posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wasn't there a candidate in Leitrim who had more election posters then votes?
    Yes, I know it's Leitrim

Remembering reading that last election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Wont be long now until they are hindering the view of drivers at roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

Photographers, Graphics Designers, Print Companies, people to put up and take down the signs etc. Dont forget that election posters generate a lot of work for people. And work = wages

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    A few years ago I was in the Netherlands during an election campaign there. I noticed the only election posters were on mobile billboards (presumably provided by the council as they had posters for more than one party) There were no pictures of candidates on the posters. Just the name of the party and a short statement/slogan (my Dutch wasnt up to deciphering these to figure out if they were as meaningless/pointless as the ones over here).

I am Dutch and can assure you those messages are just as empty as the smiles you see here on the election posters.
    But at least we got the mobile boards right. 1 day after the elections they ll be removed so you dont have to look at them any longer.

These things here are a pain in the arse. Pretty soon they will on a height that you have to bend down in order to avoid running into them. They are a danger for traffic because the block your view etc. etc.

And really, i dont think it will ever happen that i see one of those things and start thinking: Oh what an interesting face, let me get into the program of that political party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

CorkMan wrote: »
    I am going to burn any Fianna Fáil ones.

Me too, if I can find them! The FF logo is VERY small. Noticed a Michael McGrath one this morning but it was too high for me to get at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Worztron

Those election posters are a complete waste of money.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

goat2 wrote: »
    ok to say that, but while i drive, and if i see a green candidates poster i have such rage in me with them that in a fit i may go for the esb pole and wreck my car, then i will charge the greens for damage to my car

The greens have organic ones woven from recycled sustainable grasses,they also cost 4 times as much and are useless.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

How about we all revolt and get the cable cutters out tonight :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Worztron

How about we all revolt and get the cable cutters out tonight :D.

Sounds like a great idea.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I think they're great...
    I'm into Airsoft so they're brilliant for target practice out the backyard.
    It's a pity I can't get a Cowen/Lenihan/Harney so I'll have to make do with any FF shíthead instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

They do provide some work for graphics companies and the like but they are a pain in the arse. I was on a roundabout this morning and some gob****e was staring at some blond on a poster and drove out infront of me. Luckily I had a feeling he was going to do this so I stopped and blew the horn before roaring abuse at him. I just wonder how many crashes these contribute to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They do provide some work for graphics companies and the like but they are a pain in the arse. I was on a roundabout this morning and some gob****e was staring at some blond on a poster and drove out infront of me. Luckily I had a feeling he was going to do this so I stopped and blew the horn before roaring abuse at him. I just wonder how many crashes these contribute to?

was she good looking?
    I want one of that Emma Kiernan one ...

http://research.finegael.org/people/f/1093/article

reminds me of Erin Gray from Buck Rogers ;) mmmmhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

bm365 wrote: »
    Photographers, Graphics Designers, Print Companies, people to put up and take down the signs etc. Dont forget that election posters generate a lot of work for people. And work = wages

and with the contracts all given to friends of each politician/party it's just more nods/winks

such bull!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Lethal in this weather. Was walking down to the DART station last night and Eamon Gilmore almost decapitated a poor aul wan.

But yeah, those posters are an eyesore.

Kold wrote: »
    Does anyone know the legality of stealing them? I wanted some of the corrugated plastic they're printed on and was quoted a ridiculous price at a signmakers. Just want to know how careful I ought to be.

If you wait till after polling day, they become litter they'll be more than happy for them the "dissapear" it'll save them a job. ;)

Anyway I bought 5 8 x4 ft sheets of corriboard for less than €50 a couple of years ago.

They tried to ban them years ago but the students rioted. I agree though, save the tress and sh!t.

Corriboard trees. :confused:;)

I just wonder how many crashes these contribute to?

It's not so much the pritty ones on them it's where the twats stick them, last time round they placed a bunch of them at a major junction and made it almost impossible to see to drive out safely! :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

They have become a hazard the past day or two. Seeing too many get thrown off by the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I have to laugh everytime I see one of Paul Gogarty's- straight talking, hard working, fresh thinking. The Fine Gael ones are really annoying- Team Ireland crap. Also the pretentious guy in the city centre- Dylan? Whose top priorities are promoting bands apparently..but anyway his say 'It starts here'. WHAT does?

The wind has turned a huge amount of posters around to face walls and hedges etc.- classic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    and with the contracts all given to friends of each politician/party it's just more nods/winks

such bull!!

So what, it's their own money. It belongs to the party.

Anyway every local paper in the country will be getting ad revenue. No nods or winks there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Parties/Groupings with more than ten TD's recieve a small amount of state funding and there has been a campaign going for a long time now to have this substantially increased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Anyway every local paper in the country will be getting ad revenue. No nods or winks there

the fact you think that makes it clear you're talkin right out your ass

the way people try defend Irish politics is a flippin joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

ah there is no good ones. a friend of mine still has an eu parliament one for clifford t reid. the slogan was simply - stop the paedophiles. quality

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rosscullen

If you thing thats bad, you should see the video below... over 40 FF Micheál Martin posters along a ringroad in Galway city (and thats just counting one side of the road!)... discraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Of course, when they do take them down they leave every pillar and post in the country covered in cable ties, arrgg!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

I have noticed that all of the Fianna Fail posters in my area are at the very top of lamposts/poles.

Obviously, FF have a longer ladder than anybody else.
    Simples ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

bm365 wrote: »

That's pure genius!

Hmm..., maybe we can build on that idea to solve all our problems.

Instead of charging people to dispose of their refuse, let's pay them (a token amount will suffice) to spread their refuse widely along roads, hedgerows, rivers, fields and streets.

Then - and this is the genius bit - we can create loads of employment for other people to go out, hunt it down and pick it up.

Nothing but good outcomes:
    - we all save on waste disposal charges
    - we get paid for our rubbish
    - we create jobs
    - we save on unemployment benefit
    - the state generates revenue from income tax
    - the landscape will be more colourful

Is there a flaw in this truly novel solution to all our problems?

I can't see why it wouldn't work.

But now I have to go and work on my perpetual motion machine.

;)

Advertisement