Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

god damned election posters!! /Merge

Options
  • 02-02-2011 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

so today seen the start of the greatest waste of finances with the scramble for pole space for this "election"!!

had to laugh at one particular politicians face on a poster, he wasn't smiling like that in the clayton when he was bombarded from concerned/angry members of the public!

are they getting under your skin too?

Should Election Posters be banned? 133 votes

Ban them, bloody eyesores!
    0% 0 votes
    Keep them, we need them.
    96% 128 votes
    Doesn't bother me either way.
    3% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

If you are in college then poster collection season has just started too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

They always put them up on the South Ring in Cork and everytime they do it they end up falling off the lamp posts and are scattered all over the road. Its a disgrace.
    Probably isnt much you can do if they hit your car either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Ooh, are they up? I'll have to hit the town tomorrow.

'Course the Google Streetview van surveyed most of Galway during the last election so most people probably think that's what it always looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Does anyone know the legality of stealing them? I wanted some of the corrugated plastic they're printed on and was quoted a ridiculous price at a signmakers. Just want to know how careful I ought to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Kold wrote: »
    the legality of stealing

I'd guess no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Gotta say in this day and age, I really don't see the point of election posters.

And not just cos there a waste of money but with so many ways of finding out about candidates and parties, I'm hardly going to decide my vote by a nice :D smile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I'd guess no.

you'd probably be right y'know but in this instance... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Does anyone know the legality of stealing them? I wanted some of the corrugated plastic they're printed on and was quoted a ridiculous price at a signmakers. Just want to know how careful I ought to be.
    i would like to get that corrugated plastic also to tack on to the outside of my doghouse so it would make it cosieer, maybe we could find out where these people get it, but dont know what to call it when seeking it out, would not clad my dog house with election material

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

They shouldn't have them at all, none of them. They are pointless, it's just some politicians head looking at me while I drive over and over and over again. It's not like they give you any views they have even. Do away with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I am going to burn any Fianna Fáil ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Theres a big one on the phone pole outside my window and blocks the sun in the afternoon, so i dont mind if it stays....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I don't mind the posters as they are all eventually stolen, taken down or stolen. It's that damn polywhateverathane strapping that are latched on to anything that doesn't move in the country.

They're still up from the last elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do the braindead gombeen scumbags in Fianna Fail not realise that they are angering the public even more by putting up their ugly,corrupt treacherous faces all over the country

We know who you are and what you have done to the country:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't mind the posters as they are all eventually stolen, taken down or stolen. It's that damn polywhateverathane strapping that are latched on to anything that doesn't move in the country.

They're still up from the last elections.

Cable Ties:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

They're only up and the f*cking moaning starts

orourkeda wrote: »
    I'll still be moaning in April when they're still up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I have noticed that all of the Fianna Fail posters in my area are at the very top of lamposts/poles,I'd assume to stop people de-facing them or stealing them,all of the other parties signs are attached to the middle of the poles as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Meh, I have a friend who works for a printing business, and his job has been secured for a few months longer anyway by the amount of wrk coming their way from the political parties. People get all pissed off about the tiniest things these days.

Anyway, is it just me being an anarok, or does anyone else think they add something to the excitement of an election campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Think election posters should be Outlawed

They drive up the cost of contesting elections making candidates/parties more dependent on bribes corporate donations making any serious attempt at running for election almost entirely the preserve of the rich and/or corrupt.

They dont serve any useful purpose since they convey little or no information. Anyone who votes on the strength of a nice portrait/meaningless slogan quite frankly doesnt deserve to have a vote.

They are complete overkill. Whats the point of the same poster on every pole for miles and miles ?

They are unsightly and dangerous and a ban wouldnt impact unfairly on any one party since it would apply to all rivals too.

Up here in Northern Ireland they serve as a depressing reminder of how segregated just about all but the most leafiest suburbs are and how much the main parties are lying when they claim to be non-sectarian.

A few years ago I was in the Netherlands during an election campaign there. I noticed the only election posters were on mobile billboards (presumably provided by the council as they had posters for more than one party) There were no pictures of candidates on the posters. Just the name of the party and a short statement/slogan (my Dutch wasnt up to deciphering these to figure out if they were as meaningless/pointless as the ones over here).

orourkeda wrote: »
    ok to say that, but while i drive, and if i see a green candidates poster i have such rage in me with them that in a fit i may go for the esb pole and wreck my car, then i will charge the greens for damage to my car

• Advertisement

I have noticed that all of the Fianna Fail posters in my area are at the very top of lamposts/poles,I'd assume to stop people de-facing them or stealing them,all of the other parties signs are attached to the middle of the poles as usual.
    any lasoos for sale, where can we get them to get to the top posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we have a light pole right outside our (upstairs) kitchen window, well we used to,

now its just a Simon Coveney poster staring in at us....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

Well if your smart about it you can wait till the election is over, then go pick em.... at least then you save someone the trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You're reading far to much into it.
    Around here it's the Labour party at the top

It's not to do with some party worried about their posters. Somebody has to go top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What do the Greens think of the volume of election posters put up at elections?

Hint: they do not really give a crap about the environment.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

When get get blown by a strong wind they can be genuinely dangerous

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The amount of Photoshopping/fake tan on some of the candidates is ridiculous. I did a double-take as I was walking along Leeson Street yesterday because I thought that the Fine Gael candidate was Indian or Italian! Turned out to be a guy called Eoghan Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Was working the other night (this entails a lot of driving) and almost instantly after I left my estate, I came across a picture of none other than Gerry Adams, then Enda Kenny, then Adams and so on.

I have a very low opinion of election posters and they certainly aren't going to make me vote for anyone, more likely to have me not vote for them as I'm sick of looking at their ugly mug staring down at me.

Just wanted to get people's opinions on posters, do you feel they actually serve any real purpose?

Or are they just eyesores?

Not overly fond of the mess they leave behind either, or the amount of time it takes for some of them to be removed post election day...

They tried to ban them years ago but the students rioted. I agree though, save the tress and sh!t.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

In my town theirs not ONE Fianna Fail poster. Just Labour, Sinn Fein and Fine Gael. I lol'd.

Also, these bastards tend to be really lazy when it comes to taken down the posters after election (like seeing their ugly mug's for a month or 2 isnt enough)
    When they call I wont be discussion anything else bar the quick removal of these horrible eye sights immediatly after election. If not they will be graffitied or burned. Depends on my mood.

Advertisement