Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favorite Cena match?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

sorry you are right (obviously with the link) it was velocity not SD! (damn blue ropes)

that would be my fav match, though they both worked well together!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The only Cena matches that I can remember being very good are the one vs Umaga and the one on Raw vs HBK.Also the RVD ONS match,but I remember the crowd reaction more then the actual match.

For me,all of his other matches just blend into one mediocre,irritating to watch blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The only Cena matches that I can remember being very good are the one vs Umaga and the one on Raw vs HBK.Also the RVD ONS match,but I remember the crowd reaction more then the actual match.

For me,all of his other matches just blend into one mediocre,irritating to watch blur.

HBK could bring a cardboard cut-out to a 4 star match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

HBK could bring a cardboard cut-out to a 4 star match.

certain people can have a great match with a mop....

HBK didn't even need the mop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

TLC match against Edge, I hated Cena up to that, once he took the big bump he got my respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Weird how different people view different matches. One Night Stand was one of the nights that I think of when I think of how his booking drives me insane. Most of the match is Cena offence and not the typical RVD match. That he doesn't get a Van Daminator or Terminator annoyed me too. Fair enough if it was back and forth, bit it was booked to emphasize Cena. It was ONS after all and RVD's big night, but it ended up being the John Cena Show.

so cenas other matches are booked to emphasize everyone else so i guess because cena never gets most of the offence

come on, it was in rvds home court, rvd was booked to win, what more do you want, cena was the top guy in the business and had held the title most of the previous 15 months, and one week or so later rvd f**ked it all up by being caught with drugs on him, slick is spot on, personally i would never have put my main title on a guy like rvd, paul e was smart enough to never put his main title on rvd, vince learned from his mistake though ;)

anyway on topic, most of cenas main matches in late 2006-2007 were very good, umaga at rr, michaels at mania and raw, lashley at gab, orton at summerslam, he even got an entertaining watchable affair out of khali :eek: his injury in late 2007 took alot out of him and he came back way to early, he struggled to gain any sort of form in 2008 got injured again but since then he has come close to his 2006-07 form, great last man standing match with edge at backlash, some really fun encounters with batista, the orton series had some top notch wrestling, he has given wade barrett his best match in wwe to date

favourite match probably umaga at the rumble, i was there first row ringside that night in san antonio and it was the night that i really got out of the anti-cena crowd that parker and star still seem to be in :p

rossie1977 wrote: »
    so cenas other matches are booked to emphasize everyone else so i guess because cena never gets most of the offence

come on, it was in rvds home court, rvd was booked to win, what more do you want, cena was the top guy in the business and had held the title most of the previous 15 months, and one week or so later rvd f**ked it all up by being caught with drugs on him, slick is spot on, personally i would never have put my main title on a guy like rvd, paul e was smart enough to never put his main title on rvd, vince learned from his mistake though ;)

Last post on this, since it is waaay OT. The TV title was pretty much level with the World title and he held it for 22 months. He was also about to win the title before he broke his ankle and then the shít hit the fan financially with ECW so they never got the chance. The plan was for RVD/Awesome to have an ECW title feud. It is a humongous lie to say Heyman was not going to put the title on him.

Your first point is also a bit ridiculous and nit picky. It surely goes without saying that Cena's matches are 99% of the time booked to emphasize him (as is the case for every top guy in the history of every promotion).

Van Dam was a lost opportunity for the WWE. Sure he ballsed up with the arrest, nobody disputes that. Maybe he would have been better off getting involved in a drug bust for steroids instead of wacky baccy, Vince seems to love those guys!

Just for a sliver of on topicness, the HBK match is far and away Cena's best. Then the Umaga match is next. It is fair to say I'm not a fan of too many of his other matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Your first point is also a bit ridiculous and nit picky. It surely goes without saying that Cena's matches are 99% of the time booked to emphasize him (as is the case for every top guy in the history of every promotion).

how is it nickpicky, you said cena got most of the offense in that match (i can't remember since its been a while since i watched that match), that in itself goes against the grain of a normal cena match, so if cena got most of the offense and lost then why it is nitpicky to say that if say dolph ziggler or jack swagger gets most of the offense against cena and loses then the match was booked to "emphasize" dolph or swagger it surely works both ways or no..........
    Van Dam was a lost opportunity for the WWE.

rvd hasn't drawn s*it in his career, he was top of the card in portlaoise last year and they had to move the show to the small hall in the hotel and still there was only a few people at the show. chris masters and test drew way more a few months earlier over 1000 people. kevin nash was spot on in his shoot when he described rvd as the guy who works with main-eventers like hhh, cena, rock, austin and will never see his name on the marquee at msg
    Sure he ballsed up with the arrest, nobody disputes that. Maybe he would have been better off getting involved in a drug bust for steroids instead of wacky baccy, Vince seems to love those guys!

yeah because rvd don't do roids :P vince has no problem with his guys doing weed, i was told this by someone who works closely with wwe, he has a problem with guys doing weed and getting caught by police, getting arrested and bringing bad publicity to his company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Weird how different people view different matches. One Night Stand was one of the nights that I think of when I think of how his booking drives me insane. Most of the match is Cena offence and not the typical RVD match. That he doesn't get a Van Daminator or Terminator annoyed me too. Fair enough if it was back and forth, bit it was booked to emphasize Cena. It was ONS after all and RVD's big night, but it ended up being the John Cena Show.

Cena was the heel. Hells often dominate on offence in a match in order to build the crowd heat, so that they'll pop for the babyface comeback/win. You can't dent Cena didn't do that well in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I remember being pleasently suprised by the match he had with Lashley at the Great American Bash 2007.....the FU of the turnbuckles was sick!

The iron man match at breaking point match with orton was good.....the kendo stick shots while handcuffed looked ridiculously painfull!

The time the raw crew came to Ireland in 05 he had a great match with Angle.....crowd was mental!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Against Umaga at the Royal Rumble a few years back. Career best match for both men.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Last post on this, since it is waaay OT. The TV title was pretty much level with the World title and he held it for 22 months.

But it definitely wasn't.

Compare past holders of both belts.

edit: wait. what world title do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The old ECW World Title I think.

D.Q wrote: »
    But it definitely wasn't.

Compare past holders of both belts.

edit: wait. what world title do you mean?

ECWs World and TV titles. I was talking about Rob Van Dam in ECW. It was claimed Heyman didn't believe in him enough, which is obviously nonsense. He gave him the TV title for 22 months and was about to book him as World Champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

against rvd at one night stand such a hostile place for cena and he milked it brilliantly was a brilliant match aswell

rossie1977 wrote: »
    how is it nickpicky, you said cena got most of the offense in that match (i can't remember since its been a while since i watched that match), that in itself goes against the grain of a normal cena match, so if cena got most of the offense and lost then why it is nitpicky to say that if say dolph ziggler or jack swagger gets most of the offense against cena and loses then the match was booked to "emphasize" dolph or swagger it surely works both ways or no..........

rvd hasn't drawn s*it in his career, he was top of the card in portlaoise last year and they had to move the show to the small hall in the hotel and still there was only a few people at the show. chris masters and test drew way more a few months earlier over 1000 people. kevin nash was spot on in his shoot when he described rvd as the guy who works with main-eventers like hhh, cena, rock, austin and will never see his name on the marquee at msg

yeah because rvd don't do roids :P vince has no problem with his guys doing weed, i was told this by someone who works closely with wwe, he has a problem with guys doing weed and getting caught by police, getting arrested and bringing bad publicity to his company

Because when a regular heel gets most of the offense there is a natural turn towards the end when the face gets the upper hand. That did not happen in that match. Edge interfered before Van Dam got the upper hand. So it was basically Cena on top for the entire match. Of course I understand that the heel controls most matches. But it was one of the most one-sided WWE title matches imaginable. And it lacked the payoff of the babyface comeback. He basically woke up and saw a flattened Cena after the spear. You say yourself that you cannot remember the match, so that is a pretty important thing.

Also, there is not one format for booking a match. It really can vary from match to match. Look at Steve Austin v Bret Hart at WM 13. Hart won clean with a sharpshooter when Austin passed out. That could sound like Austin was being buried when he was actually being pushed to the moon.

Also this crap about "drawing" is ridiculous. A wrestler can only do so much on their own. They obviously need to have the talent, but there are a list of people who should have been main eventers that have been ignored by Vince. Even some established main eventers only ended up there through default after suffering through Vince favouring others instead of them. There are so many other aspects that influence whether business is good for a promotion. Van Dam never had the full backing of Vince and the creative team for various reasons. RVD is to blame for some of that, WWE for other aspects. The same thing could be said about 1000 other guys.

Take Cena for instance (since the thread is actually about him :D). He was booed out of arenas when he first became a headliner (and for the rest of his run he has remained a hate figure for a lot of wrestling fans). Yet creative and Vince believed in him so he stayed on top. He's also embarrassed the WWE with some laughable interviews about drugs on Larry King and other outlets. Yet they still backed him. There are so many contradictory aspects to booking that you cannot derive any logic from it. It basically comes down to being liked by the guy on top.

Also, Kevin Nash talks a lot of shít, so I wouldn't really listen to his self serving BS. He was drawing a lot when he was Oz wasn't he :pac: I'm sure Vince booking him to clean house as Diesel or the creation of the NWO (the best angle in wrestling history) had nothing to do with his success. It was all down to Big Lazy himself :pac:

Advertisement