Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favorite Cena match?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭

He has had many matches over the years. :eek: [/obvious]

While I can understand a lot of the complaints about his booking and promo style, heck I probably joined in with it many times, you have to admit the guy knows how to put on a Main Event match.:o
    Thinking about his work since 2007 where I think he really improved, their has a ton of really good matches form him. He has had some corkers with Edge, Orton, JBL, Ziggler, Swagger, Batista to name a few.

However if pushed I would have to favor his Royal Rumble match with Umaga. Its booking 101, the babyface tries all to overcome the big bad monster and then snaps to choke the big man out. Its probably the nest Last Man Standing match in history, not sure how big of a compliment that is really.

So erm whats your favorite Superman Cena matches, go on you have to like at least one Cena match..:eek::o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

His one hour match with HBK in London is a stunner, and the TLC with Edge was pretty fantastic as well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

John Cena vs Umaga at the 2007 Royal Rumble was a stormer. Another wasted talent :( RIP

There's a couple from his early days as a rapper which were great....

Angle vs Cena @ Unforgiven 2003 was pretty sweet! But that is Kurt Angle. Oddly Cena showed a lot more ring psychology back then than now, after 5-6 years in the main event :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,206 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

IMO...

in ascending order...

3. 1 Hour with HBK
    the definitive way to know whether you have 'it' or not, is to go toe to toe with HBK in an hour-long match, and hold your own.

he did.

'nuff said.

and he dispelled, once and for all, any rumours that he 'couldn't wrestle'. he put that bollocks to bed with this outing.

2. Last Man Standing with Umaga

as said, a simple premise, and played to perfection by both characters. Cena had no option but to 'lose it' in order to choke out a monster who was obliterating him.

a wonderful performance, and proved once again, after his 'I Quit' match with JBL, that he could stand up and deliver on these kinds of matches, and make them believable, on PPV.

1. at One Night Stand against RVD

the night, in my eyes, he became a true champion of this business, and the night he became THE man.

RVD may have won, but this night was all about John Cena.

he milked every minute of hate, didn't take one backstep from the barrage of abuse that was coming from the fans, didn't compromise his character once, smugly did all the spots (5-Knuckle Shuffle, pumping up the sneakers) that the crowd would absolutely despise, while doing it with a smile on his face, pretty much carried RVD to the best match of his WWE career (since his match v Jeff Hardy at Invasion); and generally just trolled the shít out of a crowd that was baying for his blood.

he got them to react exactly how he wanted them to.

he came out looking like a million bucks IMO.

phenomenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Cena vs HHH at Mania 22. Just by the hatred from the crowd alone. To think we were sick of Cena in 2006 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought he best were against Orton imo partically their I Quit match

Cena gained a lot of respect from me at ONS 2006. He worked the match like a pro; i've never heard so much hate for one man in a WWE show.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Cena v Orton Iron man Match and I quit were very good.

Punk v Cena in 2011 was a top notch cable TV match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Either the Royal Rumble '07 match with Umaga or the Backlash '09 Last Man Standing with Edge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Although it was only about a minute long, his match with Edge at new Year's Revolution stands out as possibly one of my favorite moments of all time. Granted, it wasn't a five star match but it being the first time the MITB had been cashed in, it told a great story. I was jumping around and marking out for it.

RVD vs Cena is another excellent match, both in terms of story and in righ action. As was Umaga vs Cena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Cena can wrestle. He managed to carry Batista at Mania last year and I thought he did well. However, it's the same thing every match and he never mixes it up. It's always Shoulder block, should block, spinning back drop, five knuckle shuffle, AA (With the optional reversal which results in the STF).

I would respect him a lot more if he mixed it up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Agree Cena v Micheals and Cena v RVD. Enjoyed his match match with Big Show at Mania 20 i think it was and his debut as well against Angle but that was probably Angle dragging the rookie up a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

gimmick wrote: »
    His one hour match with HBK in London is a stunner, and the TLC with Edge was pretty fantastic as well.

And to think, that match only happened because Orton ROYALLY f'd up the night before.

THANK YOU ORTON :D

Was at that RAW, was a pretty epic night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

what happened with Orton?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

D.Q wrote: »

Ya know, i'm actually not sure. The only reason i know he did anything was cos we were talking about best matches the other night while waiting for the Rumble and my most knowledgeable mate mentioned it, he did'nt know either.:o

I'm certain SOMEONE here will have the answer though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

D.Q wrote: »

If he means the time i think he means;

When orton was in his "Im hhh's mate, im a second generation superstar" ego trip they (wwe) were on a tour and he trashed a hotel room in england and got sent home off the tour.
    I remember it because it was the same day as the Mick Foley signing in easons and someone asked him what he thought about it and he had no idea what happened but said that he thought Randy could have all the possibilities to be one of the biggest stars in wrestling ever if he got rid of his own ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like Slick's choices. They came to mind for me too. The match with HBK was one of the best matches that year and 2007 was probably his best year overall. The Rumble match with Umaga was also great and I loved the visual of the Samoan monster being choked out by a desperate Cena. The match at ECW ONS I think was the night he won me over. He bored me big time in the latter half of 2005 and into early 2006 but the way he conducted himself in that arena where everyone hated his guts was phenomenal.

I think selling the drama of a match is one of his great unsung attributes as he really knows how to capture a moment. I think gimmick mentioned the TLC match with Edge and even in that match near the end where he has thrown Edge off the ladder, destroying Edge's hopes of retaining in his home town, and then he almost remorsefully unhooks the title and wins the match selling the moment brilliantly.

Another match I loved from his early years, and many people may have forgotten it and I only recall it because I had it on tape for a good few years afterwards, he had a TERRIFIC match with Kurt Angle at No Mercy in 2003. This was when he was really starting to get over as a heel. This is a great bout and one to check out if you've missed it/forgotten it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Umaga match at RR always stands out for me. What a finish, one of the most memorable of the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

he had a smackdown match against danielson years back which was a fairly good one iirc! (as most of danielsons are)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,064 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Your fired match with Jericho on RAW after their Summerslam match was a good match and the crowd was great too

• Advertisement

he had a smackdown match against danielson years back which was a fairly good one iirc! (as most of danielsons are)

That's right; Danielson surprisingly got a lot of offense! It was sweet! Great TV match; probably only 6-7 minutes tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That's right; Danielson surprisingly got a lot of offense! It was sweet! Great TV match; probably only 6-7 minutes tho

:eek:
    On Velocity no less. Love the yellow pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Weird how different people view different matches. One Night Stand was one of the nights that I think of when I think of how his booking drives me insane. Most of the match is Cena offence and not the typical RVD match. That he doesn't get a Van Daminator or Terminator annoyed me too. Fair enough if it was back and forth, bit it was booked to emphasize Cena. It was ONS after all and RVD's big night, but it ended up being the John Cena Show.

Weird how different people view different matches. One Night Stand was one of the nights that I think of when I think of how his booking drives me insane. Most of the match is Cena offence and not the typical RVD match. That he doesn't get a Van Daminator or Terminator annoyed me too. Fair enough if it was back and forth, bit it was booked to emphasize Cena. It was ONS after all and RVD's big night, but it ended up being the John Cena Show.

ah here, it was the 'John Cena Show' because the crowd made it the John Cena show, and Cena just used it to maximise the emotion.

he performed his role perfectly, which is why he's a bigger star than RVD would ever hope to be.

it's akin to the Hogan/Warrior match at Mania. Warrior won, but most people remember Hogan. very little to do with how it was booked.

Hogan is just better than Warrior.

Cena is just better than RVD.

we remember Cena in that match, IMO, because he outperformed RVD, plus he was already a bigger star anyway.

i may be slightly biased by the way, simply because i think RVD is pretty much the most overrated, arrogant, self-indulgent spot monkey in wrestling history (it's why him and Jeff Hardy get on so well).

i never 'got it' with Rob at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

SlickRic wrote: »
    ah here, it was the 'John Cena Show' because the crowd made it the John Cena show, and Cena just used it to maximise the emotion.

he performed his role perfectly, which is why he's a bigger star than RVD would ever hope to be.

it's akin to the Hogan/Warrior match at Mania. Warrior won, but most people remember Hogan. very little to do with how it was booked.

Hogan is just better than Warrior.

Cena is just better than RVD.

we remember Cena in that match, IMO, because he outperformed RVD, plus he was already a bigger star anyway.

i may be slightly biased by the way, simply because i think RVD is pretty much the most overrated, arrogant, self-indulgent spot monkey in wrestling history (it's why him and Jeff Hardy get on so well).

i never 'got it' with Rob at all.

I don't get it with Cena, you don't get it with RVD. I prefer watching RVD over Cena, you may feel the opposite. I liked seeing Van Dam perform pretty amazing spots with the likes of Jerry Lynn, Sabu etc. You may not. There is no right or wrong.

I do however, feel the match was booked to emphasize Cena and maximize the hate he was getting from the crowd. The match was not about RVD, it was all Cena. Watch any RVD match from ECW and compare it to that match, Van Dam got a small amount of offense compared to when he was the focal point.

Of course our memories of the match are influenced by how it is booked. Saying otherwise is laughable. If it was booked to feature non-stop offense from one guy (therefore preventing the other from doing anything memorable), then the booking will influence the memories of the match. Hogan went into business for himself in the Warrior and Rock matches, that is why we remember him in those instances.

I was basically saying with my point that it is funny how one persons great match is another person's stinker. I think that is the point the booking of Cena's matches started to become unbearable for me. I much prefer him in the Umaga or HBK matches as he is portrayed as more human, not the Super Hero. Cena is far better when he is shown to have weaknesses, yet over comes them. That is why since 2007 his matches have gone downhill as he becomes less human and more Super Hero. That night in 2006 could be seen as a starting point of the invincible Super Hero Cena and it became more common place over time.

Edit: About the "he was a bigger star point". In that building, on that night you could easily say Van Dam was a bigger star. It was an ECW crowd, Van Dam is Mr. ECW. The crowd wanted to see RVD finally become a world champion. There would be nothing wrong with booking an even match and on Raw the next night saying that the home field advantage raised RVD's game, thus making him a star in the WWE. Booking plays a major role in how we perceive stars. If they are booked in matches as stars, wrestlers have a far better chance of becoming one. It is not guaranteed, but the chances greatly improve. On the other hand, if we see a guy get beaten around like a jobber and require Edge to win it for them (despite the ultimate home advantage), then it is difficult to become a star.

I don't get it with Cena, you don't get it with RVD. I prefer watching RVD over Cena, you may feel the opposite. I liked seeing Van Dam perform pretty amazing spots with the likes of Jerry Lynn, Sabu etc. You may not. There is no right or wrong.

agreed.
    I was basically saying with my point that it is funny how one persons great match is another person's stinker.

if this was the main point, i do agree with this totally; and i concur with most of the rest of your interpretation of the Cena booking.
    About the "he was a bigger star point". In that building, on that night you could easily say Van Dam was a bigger star. It was an ECW crowd, Van Dam is Mr. ECW.

this is where we slightly differ.

yes, RVD's Mr ECW.

but IMO, he was not the bigger star that night.

the crowd, even during the match, were more pre-occupied with chanting about Cena than they were in supporting RVD.

that was my interpretation.

but as i say, my bias against RVD may affect that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

a circus scam put on whatever:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

barney4001 wrote: »
    a circus scam put on whatever:p

huh:confused::confused:

:eek:
    On Velocity no less. Love the yellow pants!

Oh! That's right! I meant didn't they have a match on RAW last year? Also Danielson had a great short match with Batty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

That velocity match was actually really really good.
    Cheers for digging it out!

Advertisement