Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World War Z question?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I’ve just finished ready World War Z and I absolutely loved it, so realistic it’s terrifying. I just have a question about the zombies themselves. Are they an immortal dead or will their bodies eventually rot and decay (die in other words)?*

*in your opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

I'd believe the WWZ Zombies to be the 'rot away' kind. Ice/cold can preserve them a bit, though it makes them much slower, but they still deteriorate over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yep, they decay and rot away though the solanum virus reappears at random (seemingly) intervals throughout history. You could probably connect most of them from the the timeline described in the zombie survival guide and recorded attacks, by the same author :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You should get the companion book "zombie survival guide" he goes into more detail on those kind of questions.

Zombies are still prone to weathering, even more prone to weathering as they can't regenerate damaged tissue. If the wind and rain can carve it#s way through rock zombies don't stand much of a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Thanks for the replies...I dunno why but its reassuring that they do eventually decompose, I mean it’s a fictional story but it’s really gotten to me. :o Definitely going to get the Zombie Survival Guide

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    I mean it’s a fictional story
    Is it though? Talk like that will get you killed.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is it though? Talk like that will get you killed.

Ooops sorry :p

What was your favorite part(s) in WWZ alexa?

Something about the bits in Russia really got to me. Not sure I enjoyed those parts exactly but they were extremely vivid.

I do hope the movie, if/when they make it, does a decent job. There's just so MUCH in that book.

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    What was your favorite part(s) in WWZ alexa?

Something about the bits in Russia really got to me. Not sure I enjoyed those parts exactly but they were extremely vivid.

I do hope the movie, if/when they make it, does a decent job. There's just so MUCH in that book.

Yeah the accounts from Russia where very disturbing, that got to me too. I say the move is going to be class (hopefully done right). Is it true that Brad Pitt is acting and directing it? I like him acting but has he ever directed anything before?

Some of my favourite parts where:
    The opening chapter that described the infected small boy was horrific. You can really get a sense of “wtf is this?” that the doctor must have felt when seeing the tied up kid. I think the worst part of that is after he gets loose from ripping his own arm off, and starts knocking on the closed door…..that gave me chills.

I like the account of the air force pilot that had to para-shoot into infested zombie land and only just survived when her survival instincts took over and created a guide for herself over her walkie talkie.

Another frightening part was near the beginning, during the mass exodus from populated cities. People where stuck in there car’s on the motor way while the undead descended…..again chilling.

I could go on and on….loved it all really. Although, is it correct that Ireland is a zombie safe zone and the Vatican has moved to Northern Ireland??? Hhmmm dunno what’s worse zombies or…. ;)

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    Yeah the accounts from Russia where very disturbing, that got to me too. I say the move is going to be class (hopefully done right). Is it true that Brad Pitt is acting and directing it? I like him acting but has he ever directed anything before?

Some of my favourite parts where:
    The opening chapter that described the infected small boy was horrific. You can really get a sense of “wtf is this?” that the doctor must have felt when seeing the tied up kid. I think the worst part of that is after he gets loose from ripping his own arm off, and starts knocking on the closed door…..that gave me chills.

I like the account of the air force pilot that had to para-shoot into infested zombie land and only just survived when her survival instincts took over and created a guide for herself over her walkie talkie.

Another frightening part was near the beginning, during the mass exodus from populated cities. People where stuck in there car’s on the motor way while the undead descended…..again chilling.

I could go on and on….loved it all really. Although, is it correct that Ireland is a zombie safe zone and the Vatican has moved to Northern Ireland??? Hhmmm dunno what’s worse zombies or…. ;)

You should check out the WWZ audio book too. It's GREAT! Probably the best audio book I've ever heard. The only problem is that they leave a lot of the story out. I guess there was just too much to cover - and the audio book is still more than 6hrs long, if I remember correctly. The downed pilot bit is well done in the audio book.

Anyone interested, PM me - I might happen to have a old copy of the WWZ script that was floating around. :D I know it's been rewritten but it gives you an idea of what they are thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    You should check out the WWZ audio book too. It's GREAT! Probably the best audio book I've ever heard. The only problem is that they leave a lot of the story out. I guess there was just too much to cover - and the audio book is still more than 6hrs long, if I remember correctly. The downed pilot bit is well done in the audio book.

Anyone interested, PM me - I might happen to have a old copy of the WWZ script that was floating around. :D I know it's been rewritten but it gives you an idea of what they are thinking.

I loved it too. It actually scared the b'jesus out of me. I work in the Natural History Museum and I listened to it in work. In a room all alone. Full of dead things. ;_;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

yep great book...i thought the bit about the queen was a little overcooked and no thats not anti brit sentiment at all, it just seemed all to predictable. the tears, the posh voice, the queen staying.. although to be fair the castle would be a good spot to stick it out in...as for the oil below the palace...ah for jaysus sake...maybe the had a tinned food factory there as well.. ;)

the us army out side new york was a great chapter. an army built for the wrong battle. i think the part on how it spread with organ transplants was well done. the fighting in the sewers (in paris?) was scary and indeed the chapter in china at the beginning was really well done. gave me a case of heeby jeebies..

i also liked the story of the normal family who tried to ignore it until a Z burst throught the back door. never could figure out who survived and who didnt in that chapter.

i really hope they dont frack it up as a film...they need a good budget. perhaps the tv series walking dead and the number watching it might free up some cash in hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

yep great book...i thought the bit about the queen was a little overcooked and no thats not anti brit sentiment at all, it just seemed all to predictable. the tears, the posh voice, the queen staying.. although to be fair the castle would be a good spot to stick it out in...as for the oil below the palace...ah for jaysus sake...maybe the had a tinned food factory there as well.. ;)

Wait I don't remember the Queen being mentioned in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i could be mixing books up but i recall a bit about some posh guy banging on about the queen staying....stiff upper lip an all that..

jeeze i hope i have not mixed books up...because the next question is what book was that...

i could be mixing books up but i recall a bit about some posh guy banging on about the queen staying....stiff upper lip an all that..

jeeze i hope i have not mixed books up...because the next question is what book was that...

No yer right Fallschirmjager - the Queen bit was in WWZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Its been a while since I read it in fairness. Must read it again, for about the 6th time!

Yep - I pick up something a bit different each time I read it.

Its been a while since I read it in fairness. Must read it again, for about the 6th time!

Im probably going to read it again soon. I was so eager to read what was going to happen next that I think I missed loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I am convinced that bit was inspired by/nicked from a part in James Herbert's '48 which was published some ten years before World War Z.

Pay attention this time damnit!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I personally loved the section talking about the scout dogs. Especially that in the aftermath the animals got the kind of respect they had truly earned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I loved the section about the blind man and nature :)
    was brilliant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The book seemed to imply, as I recall, swarms of zombies wandering around on the sea floor for quite some time. Surely (unless it was so deep that there was no oxygen or warmth, which means really freaking deep) there would be even more rapid decomposition, no?

NTM

The book seemed to imply, as I recall, swarms of zombies wandering around on the sea floor for quite some time. Surely (unless it was so deep that there was no oxygen or warmth, which means really freaking deep) there would be even more rapid decomposition, no?

NTM
    I'm sure after a certain depth the pressure would render any zombie immobile. The other thing about zombie decomposition was that it was mostly weathering based as the normal range of scavengers and bacteria can't eat zombie flesh due to it's toxicity. Which could mean perfectly preserved zombies at the bottom of really deep oceans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I'm sure after a certain depth the pressure would render any zombie immobile. The other thing about zombie decomposition was that it was mostly weathering based as the normal range of scavengers and bacteria can't eat zombie flesh due to it's toxicity. Which could mean perfectly preserved zombies at the bottom of really deep oceans.
    The increased pressure shouldn't have any impact upon the zombies mobility since the pressure surrounding the Z is pretty constant. An example would be those spindly little arms that they have on submersible ROV's, they work fine at the bottom of the ocean.

The increased pressure shouldn't have any impact upon the zombies mobility since the pressure surrounding the Z is pretty constant. An example would be those spindly little arms that they have on submersible ROV's, they work fine at the bottom of the ocean.
    They're not made out of organic matter though, would that not have an effect? Animals need special adaptations to resist those temperatures I think they have a higher water content to land based animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

They're not made out of organic matter though, would that not have an effect? Animals need special adaptations to resist those temperatures I think they have a higher water content to land based animals.
    Water temperature at the ocean floor is about 2 degrees celsius so it's unlikely the cold would affect zombies too much. What would have an effect though is the bloating caused by prolonged immersion. I'd say they would be pretty squishy and the flesh would literally fall off their bones after only a short while.

So many experiments, so few zombies. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

I can't believe no one mentioned the girl in the asylum who mimcs the zombies and has the brain of a 5 year old and listening to what happened in the church, something that was mentioned by someone else either before or after it.
    I think that was the worst for me.
    that and the dogs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Had a good read of the WWZ wiki yesterday so ordered the book :)

• Advertisement

Updated note on status of WWZ movie that has been in the works. Again - they have a script and a director plus Brad Pitt attached so far. Now someone just needs to pony up the money to get this thing made...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49059

Advertisement