Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going 'steady' on Facebook

Options
  • 01-02-2011 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

you know how theres some - probably mostly teenagers - who say it isnt official unless its on Facebook. Referring to relationship statuses.

I've never bothered with that stuff. When i used to use Bebo and blog, i left that stuff out of my profile. It's no one elses beeswax and i was always careful about info i give out in profiles.

I wonder if i'm in the minority there!?
    i've seen 1 or 2 people marry and then several hours later they change their status from engaged to married. A bit sad really, that facebook matters so much. I get they were excited but thats a bit fast, i would have thought you had other things on your mind on your wedding night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

True what you said but some people are just so excited and it's really the quickest and easiest way to let people know!!

Facebook, by and large, is pure nosiness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Changing your facebook status on your wedding day?? Hilarious!!
    I get about wanting people to know/excitement, but surely on your wedding day anybody who matters will already know?! Brilliant.

I have my relationship status listed on facebook, but only cuz we live together. If it was casual/not longterm Id probably leave it out. Although if I suddenly became single itd be a much easier way of letting people know than the usual 'hows xxx?' ... 'oh we broke up 6 months ago!' type stuff that Ive had previous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh god I hate these kinda sites. I'm old and glad of it! :D Though it can be hard to avoid this guff. Hell there are two current threads on the place in this forum. I've had to get one as a few mates who are americans are on it. One of them updated their relationship status to married on the day too. Well that evening but still...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I removed the "krudler is no longer in a relationship status update about a half hour after I changed it when i broke up my ex, got sick of people I hadnt talked to in months but were facebook friends with the "omg heres a shoulder blahdee blahdee blah come out for drinks and be single" nonsense. I'll never put a relationship status up on there again, if you're that pushed about a new partner having to change their status update the minute you start going out you probably shouldnt be in an adult relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I'm a guy, been official with my girlfriend for four months now. My relatioship status says I'm engaged to one of my male friends :P whereas my girlfriend doesn't have her relationship status on facebook.

Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned but apparently some of my cousins are convinced I'm gay now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Well given that I was married long before I ever had a FB account, I never had to deal with the updating of relationship statuses!
    I do have a little giggle whenever anyone bothers to log online the day of their wedding to change their status though, have you not got better things to be doing ;)

I do hate those constant updates from "x is in a relationship" to "it's complicated" to "x is single" to "x is in a relationship". Iron out your relationship issues between you before announcing every little argument to the whole world FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I had to check right there because I wasn't sure what my status was.

I have mine hidden and so has my GF of six months. Seems the best way to do things, no hassle then.

I really can't believe people change their relationship status on their wedding day. FFS in capital letters springs to mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have married as my status on facebook and eventually took my husband's name on same. I have cousin's in long term commited relationships who have their status up, do not see an issue.

What was upsetting was a friend who lost her husband a few years ago, she had her married status up for years but eventually had to change it (as she said, her husband would have wanted that), it was upsetting but the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

If you're in a serious relationship then I don't see the problem with it.

I don't get the whole 'it's complicated' sh!te though. You're either single or you're not, and if it's that 'complicated' then why would you want the whole world to know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lol, I can just imagine it now.

"hi guys getting married yay! afk saying vows"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I will say though, it's the handiest coming out ever! Now all my old school knows I like the ladies, even if they haven't spoken to me in years. RESULT! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I don't have my status on FB. I don't see the point. The people I add on FB are friends and know I'm in one.

It drives me mental to see the amount of times someone changes theirs, sometimes about 6 changes in the space of a week followed by essays about how they're feeling, how much they love their new partner and then how much they hate them. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Anyone who's close to me will know what the story with my private life is, I don't put anything like that on Facebook. My attitude would be that I'll tell the people who I want to know and anyone else doesn't need to know.
    It's none of their concern ... and I wouldn't want to afford them the opportunity to creep on the person I was with :p

I'm down as married to one of my best friends on Facebook, couldn't think of a better person if I ever did want to tie the knot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

G86 wrote: »
    If you're in a serious relationship then I don't see the problem with it.

I don't get the whole 'it's complicated' sh!te though. You're either single or you're not, and if it's that 'complicated' then why would you want the whole world to know?

+1 on this, from the male perspective I would put up if I am in a proper relationship but only after a time, I wouldnt go updating my status hours after beginning a relationship and would be worried if the female did the same! But announcing to the world that your lovelife is complicated is just pointless and inviting nosiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Well Im going steady with a Russian girl. 6 foot 2 Model looks the works.
    Havent changed my facebook status because shes not on facebook she prefers to send 5000 word essays to me reffering to me in the plural and never answering my ques :confused:. She says FB aint big in Russia so i cant update my status to "In the post" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

echosound wrote: »
    Well given that I was married long before I ever had a FB account, I never had to deal with the updating of relationship statuses!
    I do have a little giggle whenever anyone bothers to log online the day of their wedding to change their status though, have you not got better things to be doing ;)

I do hate those constant updates from "x is in a relationship" to "it's complicated" to "x is single" to "x is in a relationship". Iron out your relationship issues between you before announcing every little argument to the whole world FFS.

or announcing you're dumping someone by putting it on facebook instead of telling them, saaaaaaaadddddd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I have a couple of friends who have been with their bfs for years and have 'in an open relationship with x' on their profile. I'm not really sure I understand that as the relationships are both very much closed but anyway :) Another friend of mine refuses to have anything relationship related until they get married - to them you're either married or single, and if you're not married then you have to be single.

I have mine up on there, I don't see the problem with it. I wouldn't collapse in a heap if whoever I was seeing didn't want to go 'facebook official'.

A friend updated hers via mobile web when she got married at the weekend! It was the first a lot of people heard about her engagement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

changing status on day of wedding, thats obsessive.

me and my wife changed ours the day after, but only cause we were waiting @ the airport for flight for honeymoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

ah no it makes sense if your married or in a long term incarcin... relationship! to say so - partly cos its amazing how many will hit on you.

but updating on your wedding day is a bit priceless, lol.

its that 'in a rel' 'its complicated' 'single' 'likes women' 'likes men' again. 'in a rel' again no one wants to see your dramas and fights. and if you go long term (and god knows id wonder how they made it that far with such public arguements) then maybe the facebook issue will get brought up in arguements 'you told everyone on facebook we were quits' 'YOU TOLD PEOPLE ON FB I WAS A HO' 'YEAH WELL YOU TOLD THEM I HAVE A TINY DONG' and so forth. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

:o am I the only person who thinks the idea of changing your status on your wedding day is kinda cute? :o I think it's probably out of excitement like 'OMG, we're actually married' and besides signing the piece of paper after the ceremony, it's the first kind of 'official' thing that you can do to really say you're married in a way.

When I was with my ex I had my relationship status up, but after I broke up with him I changed it to single for a day or two & then just took it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

According to my facebook I'm married to one of my best friends. And I'm never divorcing her!

Hey wait actually we're engaged. Huh! Shows how much I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I changed my status pretty quickly when my boyfriend asked me out, but only cause I was excited and wanted people to know :o

It's not like my life depends on it though, I wouldn't mind if we were to just hide our status.

On the other hand, I think it's handy to know someone's status. For example, what if you liked someone but didn't know what their situation was? Checking their Facebook is an easy solution :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, I might be in the minority here, but I love seeing the "is engaged to" or "is married to" status updates.

And for all of my good friends who've changed their relationship statuses recently to "is in a relationship" I've been really happy for them... and I suspect they changed it only once they were serious about the person.

I think when you realise you're in love... it's human nature to want to tell people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I used to have it on my FB but I don't have it now.

I did have to change it on my bebo (back in the day) when another relationship went down the ****ter and I found it quite hard to change it. It funny how the little things affect you.

I do have quite a few pokes on my page, as I don't have relationship status up, maybe they think I'm single! ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I like having it on :D It might sound silly but it's nice when the person your with wants friends/family/people to know it :) It makes me all fuzzy inside :rolleyes:

I'm not obsessive I probably wouldn't go changing it on my wedding day or anything just whenever haha! I'm one of those people who would probably get madly excited about changing it too :rolleyes::) I guess I don't really know until my relationship status changes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I have a fb friend who is married. He and his wife live in the same house, but live seperate lives and will be seperating as soon as either can afford to move out of the house. They are both 'friends' of each other on fb and recently both changed their status to 'its complicated' status....they both spend alot of time on fb each nite (in seperate rooms) and I have to say, I find it the oddest situation ever!!!!

Anyway, I also detest those happy birthday things on FB! I never wish anyone happy birthday on fb...my own birthday is coming up soon and I've purposely changed the date of it to last week today, purely because anyone who knows me well enough, will know when my birthday is and I won't get 128 'Happy birthday' messages from very old school pals who I haven't seen in 20yrs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I don't mind if people post their status's (statii?!) - I choose not to post mine but it kills me when other people on fb insist on what your status should be; it's none of their damn business! I'm thinking of a particular instance where my friend got married over the summer, and hadn't changed her status - her sisters-in-law and friends/relatives on that side of the family were at her immediately, asking why she hadn't changed her status to married! Who the f*ck cared, most people who knew her knew her marital status!

In relation to an earlier post, I found out that at least 2 not-so-close friends were gay through facebook. I wouldn't mind posting that I was in a relationship with a friend for the laugh, but I knew a good few friends (even close ones!) and family would think that I was for serious, so it's not worth the hassle:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I think, everyone to their own really!!! Facebook is arguably important to the new generation at the moment, and it has it pro's and cons for sure. I agree with some posters though about not having a status up at all sometimes especially in break up scenarios. Not always pleasant getting a "how's ....... if you dumped or were dumped the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have no relationship status on my Facebook. People who know me know my status, I don't need it on my page. It's not worth it. Should anything go wrong, the changing from 'in a relationship' to 'single' would just be too horrible, not to mention people 'liking' it. Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

Novella wrote: »
    I have no relationship status on my Facebook. People who know me know my status, I don't need it on my page. It's not worth it. Should anything go wrong, the changing from 'in a relationship' to 'single' would just be too horrible, not to mention people 'liking' it. Ugh.

Some of my reasons for never having mine up, when single or attached. Does that make me a pessimist or a pragmatist?! :P

Advertisement