Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mondeo st220

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Once you reach two litre or over the badge is important so people buy A4 or 3 series. Plus you are in Subaru wrx territory now, so these cars are going to be rare. Ive driven a Mazda 6 1.8 in the past and was impressed, nice interior and decent power so im guessing the MPS must be really good. Ive seen the guards v6 Mondeo's before, look great with the chunky five spokes and subtle body kit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Once you reach two litre or over the badge is important

:confused:

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The petrol would devour the diesel, they wouldn't compare at all.
    I'd be another one to go for the Mazda MPS over the ST220.

devour of the line, yes. In my experience, once moving it be a pretty close match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

okane1 wrote: »
    devour of the line, yes. In my experience, once moving it be a pretty close match

Only on boards will you get a guy trying to convince you the same car with a 2.2 turbo diesel is as good as one with a 3.0L v6 engine :rolleyes:

The ole shove in the back off the daysul giving folks the impression they are going fast :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

:confused:

really?

Im not saying its right but its what most people in Ireland think.

VW offered the Passat here with a 1.6 and the Bora with a 1.4 but not in the UK. Why? Because Irish people are more concerned with the looks and image than whats under the bonnet, as long as it has low motor tax rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

sean1141 wrote: »
    I think the mazda look cheap compared to the mondeo
    Funny, I think the exact opposite. Exterior is a bit tarty looking, in typical fast Ford fashion, and interior of all Fords is typically shyte. Driving position is unforgivable though, and that's the final nail in it's coffin for me. Plus, for all the extra tax, it's slower than the MPS!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Im not saying its right but its what most people in Ireland think.

VW offered the Passat here with a 1.6 and the Bora with a 1.4 but not in the UK. Why? Because Irish people are more concerned with the looks and image than whats under the bonnet, as long as it has low motor tax rates.

I dont think anyone buying a Passat or Bora can be accused of being concerned with the cars styling! :D

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    and interior of all Fords is typically shyte

The interior of that era Mondeo is awful anyway, very cheap plasticy feel to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

draffodx wrote: »
    I dont think anyone buying a Passat or Bora can be accused of being concerned with the cars styling! :D

Their beautiful. . .in a chubby bulbous sort of way. :D

At the end of the day.

The diesel is always going to be cheaper to run. It won't really be anywhere near the same experience as the v6.

Just ask yourself.

What would you want to say, I have a diesel mondeo or

I have a 3.0 v6 st220. V6 please. Om nom nom

If you have the cash the MPS would be a much better buy. Faster, slightly better inside and wont gulp fuel as much!

• Advertisement

The only drawback of the mazda 6 MPS I can see is the initial cost, theyre quite a bit pricier than the st220 at the moment (then again they are newer). They have bmore power, cheaper tax, 4wd, more tuning possibilities with the turbo and the interior is lovely (im a big fan of the recaros in the st though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

ST TDCI gets my vote.
    If you go into 3.0l v6 country, then its a whole different cost base.
    The diesel won't be nearly as quick but then again it won't wear out tyres or burn fuel as quickly. Tax is a killer too.
    For bang for your buck the TDCI is a good bet imo.
    Personaly I think the interiour is OK. Great seats and lots of goodies.
    The one issue I had (when I test drove one a few years ago) was the brakes. They wouldn't stop you smiling.

cadaliac wrote: »
    The one issue I had (when I test drove one a few years ago) was the brakes. They wouldn't stop you smiling.

When my Mondeo was in crash repair the body shop manager of the main dealers was chatting away to me and asked how I found the brakes on her, I said poor enough really, it usually stops a foot or two later than I'd expect but I was after getting used to it. He claimed a good few of the lads working there who had them as take home cars had driven into the back of folks. Mine was a boggo 2005 rep mobile but he reckoned it was across the range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Heard similar reports of the 2.5V6 Cougar brakes versus other cars of similar power

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have the 2.2 ST TDCI, happy out with it for power and performance. Cheap to replace the parts, having done 2 shocks and an EGR valve already.
    The alloys on them are soft, the corrod very easily but outside of that I am very happy with the car.
    I had the Mazda 6 MPS before that and it was a weapon. Its not called the Beast From the East for nothing! :)

yop wrote: »
    Have the 2.2 ST TDCI, happy out with it for power and performance. Cheap to replace the parts, having done 2 shocks and an EGR valve already.
    The alloys on them are soft, the corrod very easily but outside of that I am very happy with the car.
    I had the Mazda 6 MPS before that and it was a weapon. Its not called the Beast From the East for nothing! :)

Hi yop, why did you get rid of the mps out of curiosity? Was thinking of getting one as my next daily runaround.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Started working in Dublin so my 2 day commute from Mayo to Dublin at 19/100ltr would have been a tad expensive, that and the higher chance of getting points! :) That car just died to be driven!

Its about Clondalkin currently, have spotted it twice, its an 05 LK reg, lovely car. I would look at buying a Mazda 6 as my next car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

OP buy that ST220, it looks like a very good example and would be so much nicer than a Tdci. The diesel would be fine but not a patch.
    In five or ten years there will be even fewer good cheap great sounding V6's around to be had. I had one of the original Golf VR6's about 10 years ago and I loved it, every time I put my foot down it sounded soooo good, a bit like a touring car!
    Long live the V6's!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

would love the v6 just for the sake of having a v6.. i think its a bad time to be buying one do.. tax and running costs would be mental.. insurance is only the same as my 1.9tdi!
    bigest problem i see in buying one is when it comes to selling it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

yep go for it its a fab car and qt fast its faster dan a ferrari 440 - 0-60 id def get one if i cud

Whats a Ferrari 440?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Having gone from a diesel to a v6, if you can afford the extra tax and fuel - go for it. V6 growl is seriously addictive and makes me relish every opportunity to accelerate.

That results in 22mpg though :p

Advertisement