Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mondeo st220

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭whippet

A mate of mine has the diesel version and it is a lovely machine ... Frugal enough,with a simple remap it's quick and very well speced inside

That 04 one on donedeal is priced well, pity about the lowering, may or may not have enhanced the handling, Stig got one around the track in a very decent time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Repeat of top gear last night with an ST220, Mazda 6 MPS and Vectra VXR. I'd search out a few MPS for a comparison.

Mondeo would win for sound though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Beat me to it EPM, I had a 3 MPS and loved it, 6 MPS with 260 bhp, AWD, the 2.3 l turbo engine was in Wards top 10 engines 3 years running. clear winner to me if your looking in this class, I reckon 6-7g cash would pick one up in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

St220 and a full miltek cat back.

Throw a remap on and you'd be laughing. Lovely cars and the low down torque and growl of the v6 gets addictive.

Well worth the money. *thumbs up*

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why would you remap an ST220? It's not even got a turbo :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Why would you remap an ST220? It's not even got a turbo :confused:

It appears most on the fast fords forum are getting anywhere from 15-20bhp out of it.

If you want to squeeze it for everything whats another 300+ euro?

From what I've heard with a panel filter, remap and cat back most have been making 235-240+.

Wether its pub talk or not who knows. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

sean1141 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about these mondeos? look like a cheap powerfull(ish) car.. they seem to come well speced.. would a lad be mad to consider buying one?
    are the 2.2tdci worth a look??

Regarding ST220 vs ST TDCI, everything is pretty much the same bar the engine. However the ST220 has recaro leather seats as standard, on the TCDI these were optional extras.

In terms of performance, of the line the 220 would be quicker as the TDCI has a limiter in 1st & 2nd gear to protect the gearbox from the high torque the diesel develops. In gear performance, the diesel would have the edge, a lot more torque. The 220 has poor MPG (25mpg), the TDCI has very good +45mpg. I myself have achieved 52mpg.

As stated, the TCDI responses very well to a remap and a decat. The 220 required a lot more money to get similar performance gains over the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Thinking about getting one of these next year myself, the 2.2 cdti that is.

Any other "quick" diesels out there, with not huge engines!? Accord 2.2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

cheers for the replys guys. ya i seen a bit of that topgear last nyt bit wasnt really paying attention to it.. seen a sweet blue one on the way up to dublin today... the guards use to have a red st220 down this way.. 19' rims lowered and ment to be tuned but sur it could only have been a myth!! a fair few lads got done when they tried race it!! ya the diesels are nice but it would hardly be worth my while changing to one.. i would love to get the petrol but it would break me trying to run it unless i could get a very cheap one.. what size brakes are on them?? the disks look tiny behind the rims!!
    im not over fond of the shape of the mazda but it sounds like a serious machine.. never knew they were AWD!!

what other sort of cars fall into this category??.. if i do buy i wont be modding it in any way...

Thinking about getting one of these next year myself, the 2.2 cdti that is.

There is one other, but the mere mention of it derails threads round here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

ST220 isn't massively quick for it's power/engine size - looks stunning though.

Was looking at getting one instead of my ZT 190, but the rover v6 sounds better and the MG handled better(imho) and was an awful lot cheaper :p

@okane: comparing in gear performance isn't comparing like with like. Compare the st220 in 3rd gear at 4,500 revs with the ST TDCI in 3rd gear at 2,500 revs, that's like with like.

There is one other, but the mere mention of it derails threads round here!

O*****a? :D

I wouldn't buy one anyway, I actually like the look of the Mondeo or Accord.
    Tragedy wrote: »
    ST220 isn't massively quick for it's power/engine size - looks stunning though.

Hmm, any quick motor, diesel too? Something big-ish with a bit of power would be nice.

O*****a? :D
    Hmm, any quick motor, diesel too? Something big-ish with a bit of power would be nice.

Start your own thread and dont be runing mine :p:p:p
    2.5 v6 audi a4 525/530 d bmw and i think there is a 2.2 diesel avensis..

no you cant compare a 2.2 deisel to a 3.0 v6 petrol

Start your own thread and dont be runing mine :p:p:p
    2.5 v6 audi a4 525/530 d bmw and i think there is a 2.2 diesel avensis..

no you cant compare a 2.2 deisel to a 3.0 v6 petrol

Haha apologies man, I won't be getting a new motor til next year anyway, so I'll leave the thread for a while!

Cheers for the hi-jacked thread info tho :P

ah dont worry about it... work away.. sur the mondep is only an notion that came into my head today.. it will be something different next week!!

The 1.9ctdi in vectra's and saabs remaps to mad a power(people are going from 150hp to 200hp with feck all money and work spent).

If I was going for a diesel, I'd probably price a facelift vectra ctdi and see if I could get a decent spec one.

my own 150tdi will map to 190 handy.. it will kill the flywheel at some point do..

my own 150tdi will map to 190 handy.. it will kill the flywheel at some point do..

Not sure on PD remaps to 190 actually being 190 brake, know a guy(he remapped my old diesel :pac:) with a GT TDI Anniversary which was rolling roaded at 260bhp, he reckoned you'd need a new intercooler and clutch minimum to see over 180(and keep it reliable) on the 1.9teediddlyeye.

The 1.9 150 in the astras and vectras is reliably rolling roaded between 185-195(depending on if you go BSR, Courtenary or Regal) with nothing but a remap.
    YMMV though!

• Advertisement

Not sure on PD remaps to 190 actually being 190 brake, know a guy(he remapped my old diesel :pac:) with a GT TDI Anniversary which was rolling roaded at 260bhp, he reckoned you'd need a new intercooler and clutch minimum to see over 180(and keep it reliable) on the 1.9teediddlyeye.

The 1.9 150 in the astras and vectras is reliably rolling roaded between 185-195(depending on if you go BSR, Courtenary or Regal) with nothing but a remap.
    YMMV though!
    accordind to chipped ireland a 1.9cdti 150bhp vectra will map to 175bhp
    http://www.chippedire.com/vms_view.php
    and a 150pd leon will go to 182 bhp

accordind to chipped ireland a 1.9cdti 150bhp vectra will map to 175bhp
    and a 150pd leon will go to 182 bhp

No offence, but I'd treat chippedire with a grain of salt and go with a company you've seen rolling road results for. An awful lot of remap and tuning box companies exaggerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

okane1 wrote: »
    Regarding ST220 vs ST TDCI, everything is pretty much the same bar the engine. However the ST220 has recaro leather seats as standard, on the TCDI these were optional extras.

In terms of performance, of the line the 220 would be quicker as the TDCI has a limiter in 1st & 2nd gear to protect the gearbox from the high torque the diesel develops. In gear performance, the diesel would have the edge, a lot more torque. The 220 has poor MPG (25mpg), the TDCI has very good +45mpg. I myself have achieved 52mpg.

As stated, the TCDI responses very well to a remap and a decat. The 220 required a lot more money to get similar performance gains over the diesel.

The petrol would devour the diesel, they wouldn't compare at all.
    I'd be another one to go for the Mazda MPS over the ST220.

No offence, but I'd treat chippedire with a grain of salt and go with a company you've seen rolling road results for. An awful lot of remap and tuning box companies exaggerate.
    No offence, but I know loads of guys who haved used joe at chippedirl and I have never heard a bad word.. a few of the guys with pd150 golfs have been on the RR with an upgraded pannel filter and have seen 190bhp

I think the mazda look cheap compared to the mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I had the ST TDCi remapped and on the motorway was getting over 60 mpg. It was the best car I ever owned, so sorry I sold it.

Now have a BMW 318 ES M sport and its rubbish.:o

No offence, but I know loads of guys who haved used joe at chippedirl and I have never heard a bad word.. a few of the guys with pd150 golfs have been on the RR with an upgraded pannel filter and have seen 190bhp

I've heard mixed reports about Joe, and when I asked if the remap didn't deliver the results when rolling roaded would I get a refund, I didn't get a reply :pac:

Fair enough.. A lot of the guys on vagdrivers use him and I never heard a bad word as I said.

I know one guy who had a standard 130pd. Put it on thr RR one day and it put out 142bhp

Mazda 260 bhp standard with AWD, I know which one would look cheap on a wet day! :D

Mazda 260 bhp standard with AWD, I know which one would look cheap on a wet day! :D
    cheap and wet on them days so!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Alfa's 2.4JTDm is 200bhp stock.

Advertisement