Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ATTUNEMENT: Honestly dunno when this stat stops giving you spell slots
    Stops at 50 when you get 10 spell slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i'm at about level 155-160 now i think. sorry did not go for faith from the start, seems to be alot better for PvP (well when i'm on the receiving end)

I'm only at 8 for faith , hardly worth it at this stage. Perhaps with a new character. still enjoying the summoning and invading. with a strong partner in the forest , you could easily rake up 400k + souls very quickly, depending on who invades.

i have my intelligence up to 36 for the souls spear. i never got the stronger spells off big hat in the dukes archives last time. i suppose they are well worth buying and upgrading for ?

2smiggy wrote: »
    i have my intelligence up to 36 for the souls spear. i never got the stronger spells off big hat in the dukes archives last time. i suppose they are well worth buying and upgrading for ?
    Crystal Soul Mass and Crystal Soul Spear are well worth it but the Dragons Breath is very disappointing and not worth levelling to 50INT.

If you do go to 44INT for the CSS you should try and get Logans Catalyst as it will scale better at that level than the other catalysts. Crown of Dusk is essential too is you want to do big damage.

At 36INT with CSM, crown of dusk and the bellowing dragoncrest ring you should be able to massacre most bosses even on NG+

cheers , its on to the dukes archives tonight or tomorrow night then. not too sure why i could not find him last time. i got him out of his cell again and all. might not have had the souls and maybe did not lie the idea of going through there again

cheers , its on to the dukes archives tonight or tomorrow night then. not too sure why i could not find him last time. i got him out of his cell again and all. might not have had the souls and maybe did not lie the idea of going through there again
    I had to reload the game for him to appear after I found the hidden library bit. To get his catalyst you have to
    go back to the room where you first meet Seath. I think you need to have bought all his spells and triggered his insanity ramblings first though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Right, so i have this sitting beside me while finishing the main quest in Skyrim, patiently waiting to kick me in the teeth, but now i want to know if i should play Demons Souls first. Do i need to have played it, or would i be better off playing it first?

Also, any tips for a newbie! From what i've been hearing i'm going to die alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,229 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Right, so i have this sitting beside me while finishing the main quest in Skyrim, patiently waiting to kick me in the teeth, but now i want to know if i should play Demons Souls first. Do i need to have played it, or would i be better off playing it first?

Also, any tips for a newbie! From what i've been hearing i'm going to die alot.

My opinion is that if you play Dark Souls you will not ever play Demons Souls because Dark is better in almost everyway (I though Demons was slightly overrated but was blown away by Dark).

So, if only to maximise your enjoyment, I would play Demons Souls first and then Dark Souls.

However, the Dark Souls community is quite strong at the momen at the game is reasonably new so that may be another factor. You don't want to come back to Dark Souls in 6 weeks or so and find that there is nobody to summon, nobody invading etc etc.

noodler wrote: »
    However, the Dark Souls community is quite strong at the momen at the game is reasonably new so that may be another factor. You don't want to come back to Dark Souls in 6 weeks or so and find that there is nobody to summon, nobody invading etc etc.

Is that a big part? Keeping in mind i'm a solo-guy and co-op never appeals to me (except for TDM in MW). Is it a necessary part?

Is that a big part? Keeping in mind i'm a solo-guy and co-op never appeals to me (except for TDM in MW). Is it a necessary part?

You have your basic:

1) You invade somebody's game (you are invincible to the enemies in his world) and you try to hunt him down

2) You get invaded (the most thrilling experience imo - sounds dirty that) and this character covered in red glow tries to hunt you down.

3) Summoning help: If there is a boss you are having trouble with, sometimes people will leave summon signs outside the boss chamber so you can both take him on (uo to two extra). You can also summon if someone invades you and you are not confident of tackling him yourself).

However in Dark Souls, there are 7 or 8 covenents (clans) you can join and each of them has a unique twist on Multiplayer play.

For the vast majoirty of this you need to be in human form (so its possible to play without the online stuff if you just stay in dead or 'hollowed' form).

I think you'd be denying yourself if you didn't make an effort to be in human form as often as possible.

You have your basic:

1) You invade somebody's game (you are invincible to the enemies in his world) and you try to hunt him down

2) You get invaded (the most thrilling experience imo - sounds dirty that) and this character covered in red glow tries to hunt you down.

3) Summoning help: If there is a boss you are having trouble with, sometimes people will leave summon signs outside the boss chamber so you can both take him on (uo to two extra). You can also summon if someone invades you and you are not confident of tackling him yourself).

However in Dark Souls, there are 7 or 8 covenents (clans) you can join and each of them has a unique twist on Multiplayer play.

For the vast majoirty of this you need to be in human form (so its possible to play without the online stuff if you just stay in dead or 'hollowed' form).

I think you'd be denying yourself if you didn't make an effort to be in human form as often as possible.

Most of that, at the moment, isn't making an awful lot of sense, but enough to tempt me to try it. I think i'll just start Dark Souls soon... Cheers!

• Advertisement

Most of that, at the moment, isn't making an awful lot of sense, but enough to tempt me to try it. I think i'll just start Dark Souls soon... Cheers!

Imagaine playing Uncharted in single-player and you suddenly get a message saying you have been invaded by (Insert PSN ID here).

Suddenly off in the distance you see an alternate Nathank Drake running for you.

I mean thats the basic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Imagaine playing Uncharted in single-player and you suddenly get a message saying you have been invaded by (Insert PSN ID here).

Suddenly off in the distance you see an alternate Nathank Drake running for you.

I mean thats the basic idea.
    And its so bad ass when you kick the **** out of them :cool:

well freed logan last night, bought all his spells, and cleared the dukes archives easily enough. the homing crystal soulmass is very nice indeed :)

stopped short of trying seath, there were no summon signs, because i would like to try and get the sword from its tail this time, and i'd imagine alot easier with a friendly phantom !

will give it another go this evening but i got invaded a few times waiting last night !! boooo

well freed logan last night, bought all his spells, and cleared the dukes archives easily enough. the homing crystal soulmass is very nice indeed :)

stopped short of trying seath, there were no summon signs, because i would like to try and get the sword from its tail this time, and i'd imagine alot easier with a friendly phantom !

will give it another go this evening but i got invaded a few times waiting last night !! boooo

Seath's tail is a right pain in the ass.

I reccommend youtubing it.

You are probably right though. With a phantom on the same wavelength it should be easier.

Seath's tail is a right pain in the ass.

I've found using something with alot of reach is essential. If it has a charge attack all the better. The Large Club did the trick for me and its R2 attack propels you forward also. I'd imagine a Halberd would be good too. NB if his tail is clipping through the wall you can still hit the tip if you have the reach

i will give it ago this evening, but read once you go NG+ it is fairly hard. i will probably just try and kill him normally after a few attempts.

if any one is around the 165 level and fancies getting summoned then give me a shout , but hopefully there will be some (friendly) action there !!

managed to get the tail sword on my second attempt with another person, and ended up beating seath rather easily :)

got logans catalyst too, its powerful , but halves my amount of spells :eek:

i have 5 slots for spells, now i will have to get at least another slot if i am to use it alot.

i will try some getting summoned in the forest now for a bit, failing that i will try invading using the cat ring.

does the cat ring still work after betraying the covenant ?

no

managed to get the tail sword on my second attempt with another person, and ended up beating seath rather easily :)

got logans catalyst too, its powerful , but halves my amount of spells :eek:

i have 5 slots for spells, now i will have to get at least another slot if i am to use it alot.

i will try some getting summoned in the forest now for a bit, failing that i will try invading using the cat ring.

Ah no, sure why would you be called to defend a covenant youe have betrayed! You must be part of that covenant for the ring to work.

Christ I think I am goin to relent and start a new game in this.

I want a Faith character, any tips before I get started?

I used the Eagle shield almost exlclusively in a previous file so I would love some input on another shield, particularly for early game?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have just purchased this at lunchtime.
    I know nothing about it, just decided to chance my arm as I've finished Skyrim and Assassins Creed Revelations and need something to get me through January.

Any tips before I start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I know nothing about it, just decided to chance my arm as I've finished Skyrim and Assassins Creed Revelations and need something to get me through January.

Any tips before I start?

from the starting bonfire, go up to the castle, not down to the skeletons. About the best adivce you can get for the start of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

from the starting bonfire, go up to the castle, not down to the skeletons. About the best adivce you can get for the start of the game.

That and there's absolutely no shame in consulting the Wiki or asking for advice here. It's tough but stick with it. There's not been a more rewarding game released in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Polar101

My first trip to Blighttown didn't go all that great - got murdered by the first possible enemy. Then on the trek back to my rather many souls, I got cursed and spent a long time figuring out how to fix that.

Next time will probably go better. :)

Beruthiel wrote: »

Any tips before I start?
    I found the Knight to be the best starting class for new players. The hardest part of the game is learning to dodge/roll etc. and with the Knights armour you can afford to take the extra hits. Also you can always take it off if you want to be more nimble whereas finding good armour early on is tough.

If you are struggling dont be afraid to start again with a different character and build it differently.

i love unsubstantiated rumours !!

another area would be great , and hopefully it might included another decent place for summoning invading.

There are only so many handy areas to get to.

by all means add on another few tough spots, but another type area like before the cat/sif would be nice. maybe something that opens up the levels where you can be summoned/summon a bit more than the 10 levels/10% . lots of players, the lads they summon, blue and red phantoms running around :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Great journalism :) Nobody realised that From Software are pretty prolific and make more than Dark Souls?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Finally got going on this game, tough starting, only 4 hours in or so.
    It seems a tad easier than Demon Souls but I will go back to that soon.
    Got the drake sword so my knight is feeling powerful :)
    Figured out eventually how to change weapons and equipment so it's gets easier, baby steps and all that.
    Good sense of achievement when you get by a certain part or boss after 10 lives wasted.

Ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Struggling a bit now, it was a tough challenge defeating the moonlight butterfly in the dark root garden without any ranged weapons.
    Wandering aimlessly now, the non linear aspect of the game and it's vastness is daunting, especially when you don't know where to go. I have a key to open a door, might as well level up while I'm looking for it.
    I do like the many bosses that are encountered, quite old skool in that respect, they are always huge with massive weapons (no innuendo)

Advertisement