Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Actually you can lob the firebombs over the wall before going into the fog and take out the dogs(equip the bow, jump back a bit, aim the bow in high arc over the wall, switch out of aim mode and throw the firebombs as per normal). Did that with my SL6 character as capra and dogs were handing me my ass. Apparently you can lob dung piles too and put toxic on capra.

Now I have to get through a full day of work before I can go home and try out this technique :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

you could try load up an estoc and take the dogs out (poking from behind the shield)
    . i normally run to the stairs - deal with the dogs and then wipe out the capra.

If you go with the estoc, you might as well take a trip to the graveyard and get the winged spear, has a longer reach.

Hey excalibur, i know you were messing with the forest covenant, stupid question if get called and take off the cat ring when i arrive, does anything happen? i want to start using the dark wood grain ring and am not risking my ring of favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

who's getting the new content ?

here is what is coming with the patch, not listed here, but i also believe my beloved black knight great axe has been nerfed :(
    more bonfires for warping for easier travel, but everything else is adding to the challenge (no bad thing really)

Version 1.06
    Release Date

22nd October 2012 (NA)
    - hide notes
    PVE Changes

Increased enemy HP
    New Crystal Golem In Dukes Archives Drops Only Blue Titanite Chunk

Specific Gear Changes

Dark Wood Grain Ring effect nerfed; now activates at 25% equip load and below rather than 50
    Hornet Ring critical increase nerfed from 50% to 30%
    Pinwheel Masks nerfed
    Rapier and Spear weapon turtling takes more stamina
    Two-handed Greatsword R1 swing speed is slower. One-handed swing speed remains unchanged
    Elite Knight set fixed; its poise is now 46 in the NA versions
    Eagle Shield damage reduction is now 95%

Item changes

Bottomless Box glitch fixed
    Dragon Head Stone glitch fixed

Online Changes

Miracle resonance signs now appear correctly (PS3)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Comprehensive list of changes: (from http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/PTDE+content+and+changes)

Changes

Weapons

Eagle Shield - physical damage reduction to 95%
    Elemental weapons have lower AR
    Greatswords and Curved Greatswords attack slower
    Blocking drains more stamina
    Less stability increase in greatshields when upgrading
    Quelaag's Furysword - decreased fire damage
    Strength weapons receive some hyper armor. - Only Abyss Greatsword confirmed. [need more info]
    Some shield types have deflection when used in PvP [need more info]
    Stamina consumption increased for spear/rapier attacks from behind a shield.
    Black Knight Greataxe has reduced damage [needs confirmation]

Equipment
    Dark Wood Grain Ring - flip now applies when equip load is at or below 25%
    Hornet Ring - nerfed to 30% critical bonus
    Symbol of Avarice - slower HP degeneration [needs confirmation] -Still depletes 5 hp per tick.
    Elite Knight set - total poise increased to 46
    Mask of the Father - nerfed to 5% equip load increase
    Mask of the Mother - nerfed to 10% HP increase
    Mask of the Child - decreased stamina regeneration [need more info]
    Gargoyle Helm - increased drop-rate from Bell Gargoyle
    Spells
    HCSM/HSM now do less damage [needs confirmation]
    Chaos Pyromancies buffed, humanity damage bonus is increased [needs confirmation]

Gameplay
    Critical hits do less damage. This includes riposte and backstabs.
    Medium roll is faster/all rolls have been buffed [need more info]
    Gravelords receive humanity when an infected player dies to a BP mob [needs confirmation]
    Changes to poise [need info and confirmation] - No obvious changes to poise.
    New warpable bonfires in: Undead Parish (above Andre), The Depths, Painted World of Ariamis (note that you cannot warp from this bonfire), Tomb of the Giants, Duke's Archives, Crystal Cave [additional warps to new areas also]
    Crystal Golem AoE attack inflicts Curse status. [this is also present in the console versions, but the duration of the effect is so short that it's easily missed]
    Reah of Thorolund no longer can be drained 12 humanity (with Dark Hand), she now has 0.

Glitches
    Bottomless Box glitch removed
    Dragon Headstone glitch removed
    Spell switch glitch removed
    Prism Stone item duplication glitch removed
    Bow backstab removed
    Dropping of undroppable items (Estus flask, Dark sign ect.) can no longer be dropped.

Misc
    Dark Anor Londo NPCs no longer respawn
    Environmental lava damage increase
    Increased souls gained for killing certain enemies [need more info]
    In-game description of the Pendant fixed: "A simple pendant with no effect." "Even so, pleasant memories are crucial to survival on arduous journeys."

New Content
    NPCs
    Elizabeth - Merchant
    Marvelous Chester - Merchant - Black Phantom
    Lord's Blade Ciaran - Appears at the Artorias battle site after beating him. Trade Soul of Artorias for Dark Silver Tracer and Gold Tracer. Drops: Lord's Blade armor set.
    Hawkeye Gough - Must use Crest Key to unlock tower, from which he will shoot down the Black Dragon with his bow, allowing the player to fight it.
    Sif jr - Phantom.

Bosses

Sanctuary Guardian
    Drops: Guardian Soul, Guardian Tail (cut off tail)
    Artorias of the Abyss
    Drops: Soul of Artorias, Armor set must be purchased from Domhnall of Zena.
    Manus, Father of the Abyss
    Drops: Soul of Manus
    Black Dragon Kalameet (optional)
    Drops: Calamity Ring, Obsidian Greatsword (cut off tail)

Weapons

Obsidian Greatsword - Obtained by cutting off the tail of Kalameet.
    Greatsword, Attack Type: Regular
    Two-handed R2 does a large AOE blast that inflicts DPS and uses 50 durability per use.
    Guardian Tail - Obtained by cutting off the tail of the Sanctuary Guardian.
    Whip, Attack Type: Regular
    Dark Silver Tracer - Gift/Drop from Ciaran.
    Dagger, Attack Type: slash/thrust
    Gold Tracer - Gift/Drop from Ciaran.
    Curved Sword, Attack Type: slash
    Cannot parry while in offhand but retains offensive moveset except for running attack.
    Four-pronged Plow - Rare drop from scarecrow gardeners in the Royal Wood.
    Spear, Attack Type: Thrust
    Abyss Greatsword - Ascend +10 Greatsword with Soul of Artorias.
    Stone Greataxe - Rare drop from Stone Knights in the Royal Wood.
    Gough's Greatbow - Gift form Hawkeye Gough after slaying Kalameet.
    Gough's Great Arrow
    Can only be used with a Greatbow.
    Cleansing Greatshield - Found after rescuing Sif in Chasm of the Abyss.
    Greatshield, Attack Type: Thrust
    Manus Catalyst - Ascend any catalyst with the Soul of Manus.
    Halves castings, high mag adjust (>logans, <cystal), heavy melee attack.
    Oolacile Catalyst - Dropped by Bloated Sorcerers.

Armor

Guardian set - Found throughout the Royal Garden.
    Artorias' set - Sold by Domhnall of Zena after killing Artorias.
    Lord's Blade set - Dropped by Ciaran.
    Gough's Armor - Dropped by Hawkeye Gough.
    Chester's set - Dropped by Marvelous Chester.
    Bloated Head - Rare drop from bloated resident.
    Bloated Sorcerer Head - Rare drop from bloated sorcerer resident.

Items

Calamity Ring: Causes the wearer to take double the damage from everything.
    Broken Pendant: Key to enter DLC.
    Silver Pendant: Blocks dark magic for a brief moment.
    Crest Key: Key to access Hawkeye Gough.
    Elizabeth's Mushroom: Healing item. Regenerates HP for 30 seconds.
    Purple Coward's Crystal: Multiplayer. Exit battle of stoicism.
    Carvings:Spoken Gestures:
    Hello - I'm Sorry - Very Good! - Help Me! - Thank You.
    Guardian Soul: Use unknown/no use, Can be consumed for 12,000 souls.
    Soul of Artorias: Ascend a +10 Greatsword with the Soul of Artorias to create the Abyss Greatsword. Give soul to Ciaran to recieve the Dark Silver Tracer and Gold Tracer.
    Soul of Manus: Ascend a Catalyst with the Soul of Manus to create a Manus Catalyst. Trade soul with Snuggly for the Pursuers spell.

Spells

Black Flame (pyromancy)
    Slots: 1, Uses: 8, Magic Type: Pyromancy, ReqParam: None
    Dark Orb (sorcery)
    Slots: 1, Uses: 12, Magic Type: Magic, ReqParam: 16 INT
    Dark Bead (sorcery)
    Slots: 1, Uses: 6, Magic Type: Magic, ReqParam: 16 INT
    Dark Fog (sorcery)
    Slots: 1, Uses: 2, Magic Type: Magic, ReqParam: 18 INT
    Pursuers (sorcery)
    Slots: 2, Uses: 3, Magic Type: Magic, ReqParam: 32 INT

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tempted to buy the new Edition for PS3 rather than just the DLC.

It is only 31e on Zavvi at the moment and will probably get cheaper soon after release.

Only lent my copy to a mate a month ago but the assh*le hasn't even started it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

If you go with the estoc, you might as well take a trip to the graveyard and get the winged spear, has a longer reach.

Hey excalibur, i know you were messing with the forest covenant, stupid question if get called and take off the cat ring when i arrive, does anything happen? i want to start using the dark wood grain ring and am not risking my ring of favour.

nope once it comes up you are being summoned you can swap out rings.

i use it agood bit , cat ring till invade sign then switch to hornet .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I'm very excited about this, have resisted looking at any info for the new content, I know nothing other than a few pictures of a chimera. Prepare to Die and Forza Horizon out on Friday.... I'll be eating beans for the next week but at least I'll be entertained :D

Serious amount of ganking in the forest last night, there was at least 3 pairs of them, that being said i got a few good fights out of it. Balder sword+15 with great magic weapon and the silver knight spear+5 is a good combo.

tried the new content last night. plenty of activity summoning wise. the sanctuary guardian is still a tough boss on the PS3 , even with better weapons !

fought atorias 5 or 6 times , summoned within a minute each time. he is not too bad really. just have to look out for his 'iron flesh' move, he can nearly 1 hit kill with it.

new patch has definitely weakened some of the normal weapons i use. found my self using a fire lucerne i had, that i never really used before. might be a good thing forcing people to use new weapons. i am not strong enough to use the black knight great axe yet with 1 hand, but i believe this is nerfed too , so may have to stick with other weapons. at least the large club +15 with magic weapon is unaffected :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭stooodent

2smiggy wrote: »
    tried the new content last night. plenty of activity summoning wise. the sanctuary guardian is still a tough boss on the PS3 , even with better weapons !

fought atorias 5 or 6 times , summoned within a minute each time. he is not too bad really. just have to look out for his 'iron flesh' move, he can nearly 1 hit kill with it.

new patch has definitely weakened some of the normal weapons i use. found my self using a fire lucerne i had, that i never really used before. might be a good thing forcing people to use new weapons. i am not strong enough to use the black knight great axe yet with 1 hand, but i believe this is nerfed too , so may have to stick with other weapons. at least the large club +15 with magic weapon is unaffected :D

Is the dlc out on the ps3? I looked today and nothing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

stooodent wrote: »
    Is the dlc out on the ps3? I looked today and nothing...

It is.
    It's just the store is all over the place.
    No continuity to it. Stuff isn't where it should be.

F1ngers wrote: »
    It is.
    It's just the store is all over the place.
    No continuity to it. Stuff isn't where it should be.

ya i went for a few pints last night, took me ages to find it, not even the search option got it for me. i think if you go down to the second option on the first page, its one of the first items you see there

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-25-becoming-the-dark-soul

Nice read.

As someone who platinumed the game on PS3 I can really relate.

I think I got my platinum late into the night on December 26th (well 27th I guess).

The only part I can remember hating was Blighttown the first time and Four Kings everytime.

Well over 100 hours and loved every second.

Really not sure what to do regarding the DLC - should I start a new game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Had a good bit of free time yesterday so started my new character. Going with a Dex/Fai build focusing on the Balder Side Sword and Darkmoon Blade. Going to try get the tracer weapons from the DLC as I hear they are nice for dual-wielding.

Thought I might have had some trouble farming the BSS but got it on my 3rd run of the Balder Knights at the top of sens. My Souls farming luck continues it seems!! :D

Upgraded it a few times and started using it straight away and I have to say it has an amazing moveset and it is so fast, it really is a great weapon. Can't wait to try it once I have 45 DEX and the Darkmoon blade buff.

Got invaded twice in Anor Londo and both times I was severly outmatched in terms of gear but I managed to take them both down with some smart play which felt good. Not as rusty as I thought! :p

I haven't looked up anything about the DLC past the boss names and new weapons. Is it all linear progression from boss to boss? Also what is the recommended level to do it? Should I wait I have everything else done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

noodler wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-25-becoming-the-dark-soul

Nice read.

As someone who platinumed the game on PS3 I can really relate.

I think I got my platinum late into the night on December 26th (well 27th I guess).

The only part I can remember hating was Blighttown the first time and Four Kings everytime.

Well over 100 hours and loved every second.

Really not sure what to do regarding the DLC - should I start a new game?

I got the dark soul on 360, only parts I disliked was the great hollow and ash lake :)
    oh and the fact I had a wrong list of weapons for all getting the all rare achievement, must have spent two days farming for a straight ghost blade I didn't need >:( must have killed those two female ghosts 100 times at least.
    I actually never got one. I'm almost convinced they dont exist.

Tempted to try Dark Soul Prepare to Die on the PS3 now :D

Big Knox wrote: »

I haven't looked up anything about the DLC past the boss names and new weapons. Is it all linear progression from boss to boss? Also what is the recommended level to do it? Should I wait I have everything else done?

sort of a spoiler ahead

you meet 1 boss straight away, the santuary guardian, then artorias after a garden part. you can then try of any of the remaining bosses depending on which you want to tackle. after artorias you are at the PvP arena. It was 5 this morning by the time i got to it so no time to try it out !

i am about 45 soul level, but the bosses are tougher than the rest of the game (bar smough and omstein) but you can always summon but i think i could handle artorias handy by myself now. not sure about the santuary guardian as i have only fought him a few times

noodler wrote: »

That really is an excellent write up on the platinum! Actually it reminds me, I hear Sif has something to do with the DLC. Without spoiling anything, should I leave Sif alive until I complete the DLC?

no need to do anything with sif , as i think you are travelling into the past in the new content , so future sif does not matter :p

you can kill him away in normal game !

Big Knox wrote: »
    Thought I might have had some trouble farming the BSS but got it on my 3rd run of the Balder Knights at the top of sens. My Souls farming luck continues it seems!! :D

Hah!! got my 4th and fifth BBS up there after getting only 1 in previous playthroughs.

You have to fight the first boss to progress in but yeah you have to fight the bosses in order with an optional boss. Bosses are pretty f'in tough, i'd say harder than any of the main game bosses, sl low level would be tough.

For an epic scene, i'd advise not fighting Sif until after the final DLC boss battle.

For an epic scene, i'd advise not fighting Sif until after the final DLC boss battle.

Thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭stooodent

YAY found it :D now will I start a new character or use my existing character decisions, decisions :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Started this up again after months of it being idle, left off in darkroot basin perfect area to start the dlc, loving it again even after my 140 hours and plat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Indeed facing Sif after you clear the DLC area will lead to a bonus scene. If you a fan of the lore and "story" the DLC area is filled with loads of stuff that will keep you happy. After finishing the new content it just left me wanting more. I hope they announce the next Souls game soon, then atleast we will know they are working on something.

Also, when you go to face the final boss of the new content make sure you are in human form for a nice surprise during the fight, easy to miss though :D

Man I forgot how much I hated the Well in the painted world. :mad:

Question: If I want to have both Darkmoon and Sunlight blade buffs do I need to kill Gwyndolin on this playthrough and then join Darkmoon in NG+? Can I use them both that way?

Unfortunately i'm pretty sure you need to be a member of the darkmoon covenant to use it, so its until NG+ as you guessed. Gave up trying for the souvenirs of reprisal last night, as invading failed out and anytime i got sent via the ring i came up against 3 dudes waiting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

ahhhhh poor horse :P

i get a couple of darkmoon invasions a night . only waiting for you to appear :P

surprisingly still get invaded at lvl 160 :) was talking to one darkmoon guy after i beat him - sl level 100 :) love that :) easy humanity and souls for me .

thank you darkmoon bros :D.

oh and pvp is defenitely the easiest way to level up. most people have 100k + souls when i get invaded

Unfortunately i'm pretty sure you need to be a member of the darkmoon covenant to use it, so its until NG+ as you guessed. Gave up trying for the souvenirs of reprisal last night, as invading failed out and anytime i got sent via the ring i came up against 3 dudes waiting for me.

Yeah I was thinking that was going to be the case alright. Not to worry, sunlight blade will do me for now. You would probably have more luck farming the Harpies in the painted world for souvenirs!

ahhhhh poor horse :P

i get a couple of darkmoon invasions a night . only waiting for you to appear :P

surprisingly still get invaded at lvl 160 :) was talking to one darkmoon guy after i beat him - sl level 100 :) love that :) easy humanity and souls for me .

thank you darkmoon bros :D.

oh and pvp is defenitely the easiest way to level up. most people have 100k + souls when i get invaded

Don't worry i got my souvenirs, my SL110 character beat a lagging noob Sl172 dude.

Oollacille township seems to be PVP central at the moment, good crack there again last night.

And what is it with germans and ganking, bumped into 3 sets of them last night, all germans. One dude would have sunlight blade cast just as you spawn, attack as soon as your animation ended and cast wraith of god, fight over in 3 seconds. Got me 8 or 9 times only managed to get him twice, i might understand doing it to an invader but i was using the red soapstone, so he knew where i'd spawn and waited. Best was the 2nd dude, he did the "hello", bowed and then i got backstabbed by the guy hiding behind me. Beat feckers the 2nd time though.

So happy with the DLC. Finished it a few days ago but it's really after getting me back into this in a big way.

I put so many hours into Demon's and felt I left Dark a bit prematurely but I'm loving being back playing now. I'm just putting the final touches on my SL125 PvP build and then it's the slow task of learning PvP from the ground up again.

First thing noted; Dark Magic hurts!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

When is the best time to do the DLC? I'm on my first playthrough and thinking of downloading it. Get the four souls for the Lordvessel and then do the DLC just before finishing the game? I've already killed Sif :(.

Advertisement