Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro Brewery Beers to help pull our country out of Recession?

Options
  • 01-02-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,144 ✭✭✭✭

Nearly every pub stocks the same beer, Heineken, Carlsberg etc there all imported and owned by huge multinationals and add nothing of Value to the economy, pub or venue.
    How many Americans know what a Blarney Blonde is?
    Can the Blarney Blonde or Rebel Red even compete with the Multinationals here in Ireland when you have big 2 that will reward publicans not to serve the local brew, a society unwilling to try new things and politicians not willing to tackle the drinks industry. After the Brian Cowen affair will any Irish politician ever have a drink again?

We should be drinking more Irish beer than were importing/exporting foreign beer, instead we've got the mix all wrong and it looks like we'll never have another Guinness on our hands. We don't even own Guinness any more, hell were lucky there's still Guinness employees here.

Beer will drive our Exports forward and create sustainable local industries. We can't compete with China on the Manufacturers price of a pair of socks but we can make sure there's a 100% Irish beer waiting for them when they get home.

For anyone interested this NY Times article on our cousins in Greece and the effect the big 2 have over there. Ireland's problem is probably worse.

Politicians, The Government and you should all be involved in trying to reverse what the current monopoly. In less than 100 years we have went from over 200 breweries to about 12.
    I've never seen a politician say we need more beer in this country but we need it now more than ever.

I'll be asking all canvassers what they drink and casting my vote accordingly.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, great idea, drink our way out of a recession :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

You know that's not the worlds worst plan! In fact there is a huge amount of substance behind it. It wouldn't necessarily have to be for beers, but the development of what we're know for too (Whiskey). There has to be something we can bring to a worldwide market that can only come from Ireland.

I like you're way of thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I've never seen a politician say we need more beer in this country but we need it now more than ever.

I wouldn't say "more beer"... different beer, certainly :pac: I'll happily point any canvassers who ask in the direction of our finest brewers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭squonk

Are you the guy from the FrontLine last night who tried to set up a microbrewery for cider but wasn't allowed, by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well I'd buy anything Irish.

In the interest of transparency, I presume you're in the industry of small local brew, "Drunk Money"? :D

Well, I'd certainly try your beer if it was in my local pub, and most importantly, if pubs pushed a "value line" of beer, promoted by being local too, they would be able to buy in a lot cheaper and sell a lot cheaper whilst also retaining a better profit margin than for every pint of Heineken they sell, for example.

The drinks industry is just another industry that was corruptly protected by the previous Government too, and which subsided to absolute blatant greed.

It's amazing how some places in Dublin can make a profit off selling a vodka and mixer for 2 euro on big nights of the week (when the social scene died down and they were desperate to pull in whatever is left of the market share), yet the same drink cost about 8 or 9 euro during the boom.

It's depressing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The problem there is

German & Danish beer is nice
    Irish beer is not

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The only thing I drink these days is Galway Hooker.

It's an ale that's brewed by a couple of lads from here in Galway. It's sold in the pubs I happen to drink in thankfully. I love it.

I'd be really glad if there were more of those local beers/ales in the towns/cities of Ireland. Certainly beats the big beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

local pub here selss red hugh lovely stuff, problem is if you sell too much diageo will pull your other stuff,didnt wetherspoons pull out of here because here because they couldnt get guiness

and i couldnt get galway hooker when i was in galway !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

The problem there is

Irish beer is not

Your so wide of the mark, try going up to against the grain on wexford street and drinking some of the lovely irish beers they have on offer.

The heino's and budweisers that get drunk here are pee-water compared to some irish craft beer.

i will give you some german beer is good but denmark give us tuborg so im not buying that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

The worst that could happen is an Irish version of dutch gold....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

OP, just thought i would point out that those beers you named "Heineken, Carlsberg etc there all imported" are not imported for the irish market.

Heineken is brewed in Cork
    And Guinness\diageo brew both carlsberg and budweiser here as well.

We do import some bottles of these brands but these are labeled as imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

OP

Can you cite any behaviour of monopolistic practices? The pubs that currently stock micro brews don't seem to be punished...

There are microbreweries here but IMHO their biggest barriers are cultural - the plebs prefer to drink p1ss - I love Galway Hooker too.

It's easy to say "the government should do this or that" -

I would like to see microbreweries succeeding - I've considered starting one myself - but the last thing we need is another quango

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

squonk wrote: »
    Are you the guy from the FrontLine last night who tried to set up a microbrewery for cider but wasn't allowed, by any chance?

That guy did have a point though. (sorry bad pun)
    He wanted to setup a mico cider brewery and of course our rules make it harder.
    Look at small towns/villages in Brittany/Normandy and they have small cider setups who then flog the stuff off to tourists and the locals.
    Actually some of it is pretty nice stuff.

Why can't we do that rather than import ciders form the UK or Sweden ?
    Why do we drink foreign beers, which even though they are brewed here the value goes to some multinational whose HQ is elsewhere ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OP

Can you cite any behaviour of monopolistic practices? The pubs that currently stock micro brews don't seem to be punished...

There are microbreweries here but IMHO their biggest barriers are cultural - the plebs prefer to drink p1ss - I love Galway Hooker too.
    +1. Why protect microbrews? Why not (for example) home-produced soft drinks? Should the government have stopped Coca-Cola coming in to protect Cavan Cola?

If there's demand for it, microbreweries will succeed. If there's not, they won't. Same as any industry. Protectionism doesn't work

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The idea has merit OP. Of course you're going to want to expand this to all Irish made products .....but it is a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/travel/18journeys.html

interesting article bout it from the new york times above (pretty big one too)

as part of Ireland's food tourism (yes, such a thing does exist and doing very well thank you) it has a definite place.

the Brits have improved their whole microbrewery thing pretty well in recent years as far as i know.

yup, i like it!

found these bout the uk success

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/business-features/micro_breweries_are_tapping_in_to_the_thirst_for_real_ale_1_674603

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11323119

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8513072.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

The problem there is

Irish beer is not

Actually no. Yes on German but Danish beer is piss. Its just that Carlsberg is everywhere, people begin to think it is good and nice. It is far from it. Three of the biggest lagers here are Dutch, Danish and American :rolleyes:. If our pubs were stocking on quality it would be just German and Belgian lagers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

local pub here selss red hugh lovely stuff, problem is if you sell too much diageo will pull your other stuff,didnt wetherspoons pull out of here because here because they couldnt get guiness

and i couldnt get galway hooker when i was in galway !

Galway
    The Bierhaus, Henry Street
    The Roisin Dubh, Dominick Street
    Munroe's Tavern, Dominick Street
    The Blue Note, William Street
    Massimo, William Street
    Tigh Neachtain, Cross Street
    Townhouse Bar, Quay Lane
    Sheridan's on the Dock, The Docks
    NUIG, College Bar
    The Cottage, Lower Salthill
    Twelve Hotel, Barna
    Lohans Bar and Restaurant, Salthill
    Bar No. 8, The Docks
    The King's Head, High Street
    Home Kegs
    The Huntsman Inn, College Road
    The Salthouse, Raven Terrace
    The Spanish Arch Hotel, Quay Street
    The Skeff Bar, Eyre Square
    Tigh Coili, Mainguard Street
    The Malthouse Restaurant, High Street
    Connemara Gateway Hotel, Oughterard
    The Western Hotel, Prospect Hill
    The Oslo Bar, Salthill

Dublin
    The Bull and Castle, Christ Church, Dublin 2
    The Porterhouse, Temple Bar, Dublin
    The Porterhouse, Nassau St, Dublin
    Anseo, Camden Street, Dublin 2
    Ryans of Parkgate Street, Dublin 7
    The Palace, Fleet Street
    O'Neills, Suffolk Street
    Lucan County Bar, Lucan
    Cassidy's Bar, Westmoreland Street
    Pygmalion Bar, South William Street

Elsewhere
    The Bierhaus, Pope's Quay, Cork
    Tobergal Lane Café, Sligo Town
    Scholars, University of Limerick
    The Oarsman, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim
    Gleeson's Townhouse, Roscommon
    The Olde Castle Bar, Donegal Town

http://galwayhooker.ie/flash/site/locations/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I live in Cali and Micro Brews are every where here. Its a refreshing change from the big Breweries, plus they try to source their ingredients from local farmers. They organize days out, such as fair days for local cities. Personally Id love to see more like Micro Breweries in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The problem there is

Irish beer is not

And what is it that makes German/danish beer so nice and not irish beer?

• Advertisement

http://www.dungarvanbrewingcompany.com/
    these guys aren't whining looking for Government Support

http://www.dungarvanbrewingcompany.com/find_us/stockists.html

in Dublin alone
    Dublin:
    Against the Grain, Wexford St
    Anseo, Camden St
    Bowes, Fleet St
    Bull and Castle Beerhall and Gastropub, Christchurch
    Celtic Whiskey Shop, Dawson St
    Cobblestone Pub, Smithfield
    Deveney's Off License, Dundrum
    Deveney's Off License, Rathmines
    Drinkstore, Stoneybatter
    The Exchequer Gastropub, Exchequer St
    Fallon and Byrne Restaurant, Exchequer St
    Foggy Dew, Temple Bar
    Hole In The Wall, Blackhorse Avenue
    Jus de Vine, Portmarnock
    Le Bon Crubeen, Talbot St
    L Mulligan's, Stoneybatter
    Martin's Off License, Fairview
    McHugh's Off Licenses, Malahide Road and Kilbarrack Road
    Moloughney's Restaurant, Clontarf
    O'Neill's Bar and Restaurant, Suffolk St
    Palace Bar, Fleet St
    Porterhouse Central, Nassau St
    Porterhouse, Temple Bar
    Redmonds Off license, Ranelagh
    Sweeney's Off License, Glasnevin
    The Temple Bar Pub, Temple Bar
    The Village Venue, Wexford St
    Whelan's Off License, Wexford St

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

It's not going to bring us to an economic boom or anything, but trying to take advantage of Ireland's heritage and reputation as brewers and distillers is a great idea, and should be encouraged.

There already are a few Irish microbreweries making excellent beer, even if it's not widely available. The outgoing government even brought in tax relief for micro brewed beer.

Ireland's beer culture is rubbish compared even to places like England, Germany, Belgium and even the USA. Almost every pub in the country has the same set of uninspiring and dull beers on tap.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    It's not going to bring us to an economic boom or anything, but trying to take advantage of Ireland's heritage and reputation as brewers and distillers is a great idea, and should be encouraged.

There already are a few Irish microbreweries making excellent beer, even if it's not widely available. The outgoing government even brought in tax relief for micro brewed beer.

Ireland's beer culture is rubbish compared even to places like England, Germany, Belgium and even the USA. Almost every pub in the country has the same set of uninspiring and dull beers on tap.

forgot about that - 2003 finance act actually.

ALCOHOL PRODUCTS TAX RELIEF FOR MICROBREWERIES. Certificate of eligibility under Section 78A of the Finance Act 2003. Brewery Warehousekeeper Details ...
    www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/forms/apt3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

The problem there is

Irish beer is not

May I ask which Irish beers you don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How many Americans know what a Blarney Blonde is?
    Is that a brew from Dogfish Head?

:pac:

Micro/Craft Brewery is great. Great. Like I said: Dogfish Head. And yeah, Samuel Adams in a way. But to save the Recession? Thats very optimistic. Brewery is not going to save the country. I doubt it would even make a dent in GDP. Not knocking it but don't expect miracles. Sam Adams itself is a mainstream beverage but they advertise on their "little op" mantra, that they only make up about 1% of the domestic beer market. Followed by Dozens if not Hundreds of craft breweries, like Dogfish Head.

Also what the first replier said: I recall an AH thread the other day "I have 10 euro left of my dole, whats the best way to get ****faced on it?" - now might not be the best time to encourage shall we say, more discretionary spending. Though using Guinness as an example it would make for fine export.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hey. Here's the answer to our economic woes. Drink more, drink local. You couldn't make it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Fantastic idea OP! The scum at Diageo will operate their shady bribery tactics if such a move comes out but it is brilliant.

We can drink ourselves out of this recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So much for tongue in cheek comments
    :p
    Actually no. Yes on German but Danish beer is piss. Its just that Carlsberg is everywhere, people begin to think it is good and nice. It is far from it.
    There are others apart from Carlsberg, and anyway Tuborg is about the nicest beer around. Only here is it sold as a cheapo beer, and is more popular than Carlsberg in Denmark.
    adamski8 wrote: »
    And what is it that makes German/danish beer so nice and not irish beer?
    The taste :D
    Leto wrote: »
    May I ask which Irish beers you don't like?
    I can't think of one I really like that much at all to be honest, Smithwicks is ok (if you mean to take "beer" as all encompassing definition)
    We can drink ourselves out of this recession!

"Lets session through the recession" was the slogan for a prospective Dalkey councillor in the last locals :D
    He didn't do very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Boskowski wrote: »
    Hey. Here's the answer to our economic woes. Drink more, drink local. You couldn't make it up...

Encouraging local business is a bad way to help get out of recession?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

One of the biggest Craft brewing places in the world, Oregon, where around 12-15% of their GDP is now derived for craft brewing.

Advertisement