Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw 31/01 *rumble & Live Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Dean820 wrote: »
    I can't wait to hear Meltzer discussing this tomorrow 'Um...well Sting has been talking to TNA and WWE...um...he could go on either show...um....either way my ass is covered.'

guillembalague_bigger.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,684 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How did R-Truth earn a spot in the Raw Rumble :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

CMpunked wrote: »
    So hold on.

On the November 22th raw, miz won the wwe title off Orton.
    Orton wanted his rematch as soon as possible.
    GM said no, it wouldnt be until TLC.

TLC came and he didnt win.
    But won a #1 contenders match and faced Miz again at the rumble.

WHERE is the sense in putting him in the EC match?
    I know he wont win, but it annoys me that once you lose your rematch you can go right back to the top of the ladder again.

The problem, for me anyway, lies in the fact that the main event scene is so seperated from the uppermidcard scene, there's no one else tor eally challange for the title. Miz isn't nessecarily a solid Main eventer so needs someone like Cena or Orton who can garruntee buys. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm so pissed off that Lawler gets a shot at Miz again. He can't last 2 minutes in the ring, nearly paralyzes himself doing dropkicks and is boring to watch. And to think he and Miz, who isn't exactly Kenta Kobashi in the first place, will put on another horrible match. Makes me mad.

Morrison is my new favourite wrestler. The word athlete is thrown around a lot these days but he is legit. Both on the Rumble and on RAW he stole the show. His parkour gimmick is great and he hasn't botched one of his big spots yet. He's the man who should face Miz for the title at Elimination Chamber by far.

A bit weird how despite being the second last surviving man in the Rumble that Santino didn't get a spot in the match, YET R-TRUTH IS IN THE ****ING MATCH!?!?! Boggles the mind.

Good to see Orton using the punt again. I think he might actually be unboring in his feud with Nexus.

PLEASE FIRE THE BELLAS. They are so **** at their job its unreal. Daniel Bryan isn't exactly Jack Nicholson so you expect that they wouldn't force this ****e down our throats. Gail Kim is awful too.

I really liked the Del Rio destroying Edge with the guitar. Good stuff there and my boy Ricardo Rodriguez was brilliant yet again.

Bad RAW when it comes to setting up future stuff that will be **** (LAWLER IN ANOTHER TITLE MATCH) but its good to be mad sometimes I guess.

P.S **** Jerry Lawler :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

If it is Sting, people are convinced that he'll face Taker at Mania.... This is the WWE, they'll find some way of fúcking it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

A bit weird how despite being the second last surviving man in the Rumble that Santino didn't get a spot in the match, YET R-TRUTH IS IN THE ****ING MATCH!?!?! Boggles the mind.

Id say vince facepalm'd when he seen him last night:
    lolbz.gif
    Id imagine if vince, being vince, had to justify his reasons for picking truth it would be like "Did you see the way he sold it that he was trying so hard not to get eliminated?!"

*edit* from watching that bit ^^ again.
    Was JoMo doing truth a favor by pulling the top rope down after he landed back on the ring?
    Surely that would have made it harder for truth to get the bounce to get into the ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Two questions. Was the end of the cena cm punk rivalry just cena eliminating all of nexus at the rumble? I reallly thought that was going to be a wrestlemania match. 2. Why did nexus cost orton the title? I hope they give punk 50 seconds on the mic to explain his problem with orton

Anyone else annoyed that Del Rio picked his title match for WM way too soon :mad: he could have waited at least until after the EC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone else annoyed that Del Rio picked his title match for WM way too soon :mad: he could have waited at least until after the EC

Not really. He's giving himself a chance.

Because Cena isnt on SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

what a balls of a show again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

cian68 wrote: »
    Two questions. Was the end of the cena cm punk rivalry just cena eliminating all of nexus at the rumble? I reallly thought that was going to be a wrestlemania match. 2. Why did nexus cost orton the title? I hope they give punk 50 seconds on the mic to explain his problem with orton

Yeah, the dropping of the Cena vs Punk feud annoyed me to, tbh. It had potential but I guess they think Cena must be in the main event of Mania :/ As for why Punk attacked Orton, the answer is obvious; plot convience.
    Anyone else annoyed that Del Rio picked his title match for WM way too soon he could have waited at least until after the EC

I am and I'm not. I am cause if they are building Edge vs Del Rio, it makes it pretty obvious who is winning matches at EC. And that's horrible given we can already say Miz and Cena are winning their matches as well. On the other hand, they have 2 months to build to the Mania main event now, and I love when they get the time to really develop a feud. I'd rather it this way than having a three week long rushed story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Cole has to reveal himself as the GM at EC, right? Right?

Layla's "You kicked me in the face with your big foot!"

COLE: "Go do something!"
    RILEY: "He's all the way up there!"

were the highlights for me along with Punk hiding under the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ridley wrote: »
    Cole has to reveal himself as the GM at EC, right? Right?

Layla's "You kicked me in the face with your big foot!"

COLE: "Go do something!"
    RILEY: "He's all the way up there!"

were the highlights for me along with Punk hiding under the ring.

It would be ridiculously stupid booking to reveal Cole as the GM, given how WWE have gone about it.

The amount of times the GM has interrupted something happening live implies that Cole has been mailing himself and how he'd be doing that without somebody copping on would be stupid.

Also, the GM sent a message about something that JUST happened as Cole was in the ring interviewing someone a few weeks ago and CM Punk read out the mail, so how he would mail them is beyond me.

They could always throw out a "Oh I had someone else send the mails all those times it was clearly not me" but that would really be sinking to the pathetic of pathetic explanations.

For me, it can't be Cole as the GM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I really hope thats Sting. I mean considering Mania is only around the corner WWE are not going to debut somebody without a high profile. It would be such a let down if its not him.

Anyway Lawler v Miz. **** that ****.

I wish Miz never became Champion.

I miss Wade on RAW.

I feel terrible for the Uso's.

Good stuff:
    I though the mini Rumble was good.
    Jo Mo is class.
    I hope Daniel Bryan gets a match at Mania.

I don't remember anything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Am I the only one enjoying Lawler getti ng his last little run in the spotlight. its amazing he's never had a match at Mania. His punches as MNG said last night are worth tuning in for alone. Best ever in fact I'd say.

I'm not that hopeful, but Sting would be brilliant. Tbh Wrestlemania really needs Sting/Taker very badly, at the moment it looks bit like just another PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Looks like it's Taker returning from the video in the 21.2.11 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

It would be ridiculously stupid booking to reveal Cole as the GM, given how WWE have gone about it.

The amount of times the GM has interrupted something happening live implies that Cole has been mailing himself and how he'd be doing that without somebody copping on would be stupid.

Also, the GM sent a message about something that JUST happened as Cole was in the ring interviewing someone a few weeks ago and CM Punk read out the mail, so how he would mail them is beyond me.

They could always throw out a "Oh I had someone else send the mails all those times it was clearly not me" but that would really be sinking to the pathetic of pathetic explanations.

For me, it can't be Cole as the GM.

They could just convieniently forget what doesn't add up like they've done plenty of times before.

Cole is the GM, Miz or Riley send the messages or he just makes them up when he's supposed to be reading off the screen. It's not like he couldn't pre-prepare some of them. Like the Lawler no touchy ruling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

flahavaj wrote: »
    Am I the only one enjoying Lawler getti ng his last little run in the spotlight. its amazing he's never had a match at Mania. His punches as MNG said last night are worth tuning in for alone. Best ever in fact I'd say.

Lawler getting his moment in the spotlight is fair enough. It would even make a decent addition to Mania and would be a good way to help freshen up the commentary desk.

But if the PPV goes ahead as scheduled, Miz has to win and that makes a Cena win inevitable in the chamber. I'd at least like some mystery as to whether the title would be in the Cena/Miz or Punk/Orton match at Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ridley wrote: »
    They could just convieniently forget what doesn't add up like they've done plenty of times before.

Cole is the GM, Miz or Riley send the messages or he just makes them up when he's supposed to be reading off the screen. It's not like he couldn't pre-prepare some of them. Like the Lawler no touchy ruling.

Oh listen I completely agree thats its quite feasible that the WWE will come up with some hokey explanation or just do what they normally do which is forget and lie (eg "John Cena elimated the entire Nexus last night at the Rumble" - no he didn't, Khali eliminated Husky.) Their balls in how selective their memory is is quite frightening at times.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Tbh Wrestlemania really needs Sting/Taker very badly, at the moment it looks bit like just another PPV.

Wrestlemania needed Sting/Taker about 10 years ago. Sting is 51 and Taker 45 and they're both well past their physical prime. Sting has refuted WWE advances in the past even when he was out of work, do you really think he's going to come in now and lose to Taker at Mania simply for a payout? Followed by months of probable mediocrity as there's no way WWE will put a big title on a guy who won't want to work all those days on the road.

I can see it being Sting in the promos, but he's gonna want a victory in his first match, nothing says "this wrestler blows" more than a huge hyped debut and losing in his marquee debut (because Taker is NOT going to give up the streak to someone unless they're "the future") so whilst it might be Sting I do think he'll face someone else.

Even on a practical level, I don't think a match between these two guys is going to be that much to write home about because they're both limited physically at their age, sure they still wrestle to a good standard but considering it would be a "dream match" they'd need more than an average match. It's not like Hogan v Rock where very little actually happened but the "event" of it all made the match a class, a lot of people haven't a breeze who Sting is, so merely having "Sting v Undertaker" on a banner is probably not going to excite the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wrestlemania needed Sting/Taker about 10 years ago. Sting is 51 and Taker 45 and they're both well past their physical prime. Sting has refuted WWE advances in the past even when he was out of work, do you really think he's going to come in now and lose to Taker at Mania simply for a payout? Followed by months of probable mediocrity as there's no way WWE will put a big title on a guy who won't want to work all those days on the road.

I can see it being Sting in the promos, but he's gonna want a victory in his first match, nothing says "this wrestler blows" more than a huge hyped debut and losing in his marquee debut (because Taker is NOT going to give up the streak to someone unless they're "the future") so whilst it might be Sting I do think he'll face someone else.

Even on a practical level, I don't think a match between these two guys is going to be that much to write home about because they're both limited physically at their age, sure they still wrestle to a good standard but considering it would be a "dream match" they'd need more than an average match. It's not like Hogan v Rock where very little actually happened but the "event" of it all made the match a class, a lot of people haven't a breeze who Sting is, so merely having "Sting v Undertaker" on a banner is probably not going to excite the majority.

Normally I'd agree about a big hyped debut followed by a loss being bad but since it's Taker's Mania streak on the line I don't think a loss would hurt him. As you say, many of the audience won't know him so if he puts in a strong showing and nearly defeats Taker then that will still give him a strong impression.

I think it's fair to say the Mania audience tends to be smarter than the average PPV audience so I think Sting would have quite a decent following. It is in Atlanta remember which is WCW country. Sting has had many main event matches there.

I think with a match like that you're not buying it for the wrestling but for the fact it's two legends facing off. Taker, the guy who embodied the WWF, and Sting the guy who embodied WCW. It would likely be some gimmick match anyway with some interference involved so they'd get away with it I'm sure. Don't forget Taker fought Flair at Mania when according to Flair he was crippled by self doubts after his shabby treatment at WCW so if Flair can hang with Taker I reckon Sting can.

I agree with you about it being a good few years too late. I used to think when Flair was with Evolution that a match between Sting and Hunter would have been epic as Flair could have referenced his history with Sting and at that time Sting would have been a worthy adversary. It's a shame it was HHH vs Steiner and not HHH vs Sting. Maybe they also could have had Sting vs HBK around that time. Ah well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ElasticMan

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Cole will cost Lawler the title at EC. And it will then be Cole v Lawler at Mania

JR will call Mania

I personally think it'll be a 2 on 1 handicap match with Lawler vs Cole and Alex Riley. Alex Riley and Lawler will handle the wrestling, with Cole avoiding Lawler until the very end when he finally gets his hands on him.

Other possible matches for WM:

Miz vs Cena
    Edge vs Del Rio (With Christian possibly involved in some way? Del Rio did put Christian on the shelf and all that)
    Orton vs Punk
    Undertaker vs Wade Barrett OR Undertaker vs Sting
    HHH vs Sheamus
    Mysterio vs Dashing Cody Rhodes
    Nexus vs Corre
    Money in the Bank (?)
    Awesome Kong vs a poor soul
    Possibly a Daniel Bryan match
    Diesel vs Big Show (?)

If this is the card it definately needs a good buildup, but it has potential.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sting/Taker are well past their prime
    -- PPVs are about selling the storyline/characters, not match quality; people will have already paid before these two get in the ring and shuffle about.

Why come in to job for a payout?

-- WWE could offer him (eg) $2,000,000; a lot of money for one night wrestling; it's not like he keeps coming back to TNA for the storylines! Also; i'd imagine Sting would just be one and done; he'd know better to hang around and get jobbed out by the latest heel jobber faction. If he's getting paid tons and Taker's streak won't be broken I'm sure he won't mind doing the J.O.B.

Who's Sting? "Sting v Undertaker" on a banner is probably not going to excite the majority.

-- It'd be ALL storyline; Taker and Sting are capable of working when they need to - and if the match is laid out well; it'll be fantastic. I was gonna bring up Rock Hogan as the match itself was atrocious but it's all about emotion. Built-up right, the match will be sold before they step into the ring.

The WrestleMania crowd has a larger # of hardcore fans and i'd imagine in Georgia this is the best place to bring in a WCW guy. Oldschool fans who don't watch the show might tune in to see him if the build is right. My friend has nephews who never saw Sting before but when we showed them some TNA, he was their favourite character despite knowing nothing about him. Dude has a huge aura. I can't imagine it's much different. Like Kane in 97 was awesome straight away; and WWE have 7 weeks to make him a big deal as he's already a huge star.

If all the hardcores are marking out, the casuals will follow suit.

Seriously anyone who can't get excited about Punk v Orton should just stop watching WWE. Based on the last Year or so its the BIGGEST match WWE could put together.

Also Sting in WWE (If it is him) is enough, it wouldn't matter who he wrestled.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Seriously anyone who can't get excited about Punk v Orton should just stop watching WWE. Based on the last Year or so its the BIGGEST match WWE could put together.

Well that'd be Punk vs Cena; which they've given away for free already. How can anyone get excited for Randy Boreton, with his monotonous plodding fluff promos and his i'm-the-same-heel-and-face character who never puts over the new guy. I'm looking forward to Punk exposing those flaws on TV -much like he did Cena's hypocrisy after Survivor Series- but not looking forward to having the most overall talented wrestler in WWE laying down for the most stale.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Well that'd be Punk vs Cena; which they've given away for free already. How can anyone get excited for Randy Boreton, with his monotonous plodding fluff promos and his i'm-the-same-heel-and-face character who never puts over the new guy. I'm looking forward to Punk exposing those flaws on TV -much like he did Cena's hypocrisy after Survivor Series- but not looking forward to having the most overall talented wrestler in WWE laying down for the most stale.

In fairness to Orton he is still getting the Crowd reaction. From a storyline Point of View Punk wanting to fight Orton makes sense more than him wanting to get Cena (Orton costing him the WHC before the scramble match). Fits in better with him Slammy Promo saying he never forgets. I would look forward to Punk getting a good match out of Orton.

Ortons popularity since last years Mania would be wasted against anyone other than Punks brilliance as a heel and ability in the Ring.

Ha I completely forgot about that and that promo! That said Punk already showed his short-term memory by saying he was friends with Dave Batista... Cena's the big fish so as Punk's the biggest heel I'd zero in on Cena! Plus there's already ties with Nexus and Cena. It might be just my ears but Orton's popularity in general is so much lower than when people were clamering for a face turn only last wrestlemania. Surely Top babyface and Top heel would be the bigger match?

I agree Cena v Punk WAS the biggest match, but then they did it on RAW for no good reason.

So the Biggest Match left is Punk v Orton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I agree Cena v Punk WAS the biggest match, but then they did it on RAW for no good reason.

So the Biggest Match left is Punk v Orton.

the match on raw didn't have a clean finish though leaving them room to revisit the feud thankfully

jmolloy wrote: »
    the match on raw didn't have a clean finish though leaving them room to revisit the feud thankfully

Thats True, neither did the one before it, the night Nexus formed.

We will get the feud later on I think. Looks to be Cena v Miz. No other option for Miz if he is going to be champ going to mania.

• Advertisement

Punk V HHH could be good also imagine Punk's promos on Hunter :p

I wouldnt mind Punk V Orton if the WWE title was involved in their feud

Did Cena and Punk actually end their feud :confused: It had so much potential

What was the deal with Ted Jnr attacking King - I doubt they will feud since King has now got a title match and Ted now seems to have gone from priceless to useless

Advertisement