Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your dog and drinking water!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

My dog doesn't seem to drink enough water and if she's sick and needs to get plenty of fluids into her I give her water from whatever veg are being cooked for that days dinner, I would say if it's suitable but tbh I just have something for dinner that is suitable just so she can have the water from it :p

Not a bad idea, to cook veggies or chicken broth, especially for a finicky drinker, but make sure that there is no salt added!

I often add a drop of milk to the water when offering water while on a trip. Sometimes a different environment or a different water bowl or the sheer excitement of the new situation inhibits the dog to follow his body's needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My dog doesn't seem to drink enough water and if she's sick and needs to get plenty of fluids into her I give her water from whatever veg are being cooked for that days dinner, I would say if it's suitable but tbh I just have something for dinner that is suitable just so she can have the water from it :p
    My dog is very much an occasional drinker. It's a small mouthful a couple of times a day. If we've boiled up some chicken for her, we used to put the chicken water in her bowl and she would just keep drinking until she burst.

Problem is then she needs to pee every 20 minutes for the next 3 hours... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

seamus wrote: »
    My dog is very much an occasional drinker. It's a small mouthful a couple of times a day. If we've boiled up some chicken for her, we used to put the chicken water in her bowl and she would just keep drinking until she burst.

Problem is then she needs to pee every 20 minutes for the next 3 hours... :/

Did you by chance add salt? Then the peeing is a sign that she has far too much salt in her blood and she is dehydrating.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Bog Bunny wrote: »
    I often add a drop of milk to the water when offering water while on a trip. Sometimes a different environment or a different water bowl or the sheer excitement of the new situation inhibits the dog to follow his body's needs.

Just be careful with milk as dogs are lactose intollerant, there are no end of things you could add to the water that are more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bog Bunny wrote: »
    Did you by chance add salt? Then the peeing is a sign that she has far too much salt in her blood and she is dehydrating.
    No, just plain old chicken breast in water. I'm going to blame the 2 litres of water in the space of 60 seconds for all the peeing, rather than salt :)
    After she peed twice on the floor (the dog!), I banned my wife from giving her chicken water any more, no matter how comical it is to see her drink for a minute solid without pausing for breath.

• Advertisement
Advertisement