Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your dog and drinking water!

Options
  • 30-01-2011 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi all!

I have a dog that drinks only water.
    I wonder do you give them just water all the time?

Just abit curious :)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

What's wrong with a dog drinking only water? What else would you give them?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

fanta:D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

bmarley wrote: »
    fanta:D

Water only-never give em anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

The Paws wrote: »
    Hi all!

I have a dog that drinks only water (:rolleyes:).
    I wonder do you give them just water all the time?

Just abit curious :)
    should you be allowed to have a dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

wow wow take it easy people! I have dogs for so many years and I have often wondered do they ever like to try other than water... it is not like I would give them beers or something!

I always give him water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I give mine a bit of tea sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A sup of whiskey before sending him outside.
    Warms his bones on these cold nights ;)

Ah no, what a bizarre thread, what kind of answer are you expecting OP?

Funny thing is, you can actually get dog beer now. Doubt they'd like it though. All they need is water. They are related to wolves after all; cant imagine a wolf nipping out for a spot of tea or a pint.:D Fresh water is all they require really. I wouldn't try anything else just in case it made them sick.

I think it was your use of this :rolleyes: that warranted some of the previous comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Mine drink water, but if they're working and I need to ensure that they are properly hydrated, I will bait it. Usually I use a tin of sardines in sunflower oil and they get a bit each at the bottom of their water bowl, in trying to get to the sardines, they take in the water they need.

I have also used a powder mixed with water to help them hydrate - isotonic drink for dogs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

One of my sisters dogs is deadly for robbing tea and coffee, if you foolishly leave it down on the floor beside the couch its gone!

• Advertisement

I didnt realise the "rolling eyes" cause some problems - thanks Shanao.

Sorry - I thought it was a common statement that dogs usually drink just water hince adding rolling eyes. I rubbed it off in the first post.

I was just wondering that's all. Is that ok?! <runs to my bed and hides under my blanket>

(PS. I gave him warm veg soup and he loves it)

I think people assumed that you were complaing about the fact that the dog will only drink water by this :rolleyes:- leading them to wonder what else you were trying to get the dog to drink. Unfortunately, there are people that come on here with the intention of stirring people up. I wouldn't be offended by them:D
    When it comes to dogs drinking though, they do have a tendency to see something that we're drinking and want it. I had a pup a few years back who got into a can of cider at a BBQ- drank a bit of it too before anyone managed to grab him. Bugger grabbed the can and his mouth and ran off- his teeth punctured it and of course he started lapping it up. I think he was pretty hungover the following morning- he refused to go for a walk and went to sleep behind the couch for some peace. Thankfully there were no other consequences, but we were just lucky.

When my dog was a puppy, he drank my cold tea I left behind on the ground floor. I heard him drinking something and I was like "what is he drinking in the tv room?" I hurried over and found him drinking what left in the cup! He was happy enough!

Thank god your puppy (back then) was ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I've only ever give my dog water there's nothing else to give them and water is the best anyway.

I have caught him a few times drinking tea though haha! He loves it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well my husband gave the dog a drop of guinness with his christmas dinner. :D EVERYTHING he has, the dog has to "have a taste". He enjoyed it, although it was only a drop.

We had a landlord who had a dog years ago who used to knock peoples cans so she could drink the beer. She also used to steal cigarettes and chew them.

One of my cats got into a glass of baileys once, and wobbled across the floor, fell asleep in a chair and snored like a train for the night. She was cranky and irritable for about 2 days after.

I'd often give the dog chicken stock I'd have made from a carcass, no salt or anything added. I'm not sure if I'd class that as a drink though.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

fella i know gives his rotties a pot of coffee every morning:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭benagain

mine lovs cider if its summer an baileys if its winter:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

Mine will only drink water but it has to be Deep River Rock Sparkling with Evian icecubes and a dash of lime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I know a little dog that got at someones white russian. Now the way this white russian is made it's mostly just vodka, one glass would get someone pretty drunk and the tiny dog got at it. The poor thing came running into the sitting room jumped up on the couch and completly missed it. She was hungover for two days, wouldn't move an inch but she's alright now everyone just has to be carful where they put their drinks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of mine used to have a go at anything that was left on the floor, I had to train her out of that so she wouldn't rob my tea. The OH said that the dog he had gowing up loved the odd bowl of beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

My dog(lab) only drinks rain water
    He dislikes water from the tap

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My dog drinks water. She loves tea, she loves milk, but she's especially crazy about Guinness. Don't even have time to react if I spill some and she has it lapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Coffee is bad for dogs :(

Mine only get water, but they'd lick up pretty much anything if I spill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

My dogs will drink tea at any given opportunity and one in particular will lick empty beer cans...she takes them from the recycling bin so learned to put them straight in outside bin. She loves the smell of it and will hound you if you have a can in the house (not that she ever gets any of it). they also love cat milk and will try and steal it from the cats (its lactose free)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Just water for my pup. Although as previously said if you leave your cup of tea down and leave the room, normally you return to either an empty cup of tea or your cup with a dogs head stuck in it, trying to get the last few drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

My dog will drink tap water, but she loves drinking from the bird bath in the garden or the muddiest puddles in the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Funny thread, reminds me of one of my parents wedding anniversaries many years ago & our Yorkie drank some champagne from a glass someone has unwisely left on the floor. He was a renowned tea thief :rolleyes:

We were all in bits watching him deal with the fizz. He was sneezing like a mad thing, & then he went back looking for more.

It was only exceeded when someone gave him some peanut butter; he was rolling around on his back doing contortions, trying to lick it off the roof of his mouth for ages, he loved it.

He lived to the ripe old age of 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

Although it is a bit of a ludicrous idea that an animal wold need anything else but water to hydrate, the idea of letting it lap up tea, coffee or alcohol beverages is not a good one. Caffein in tea and coffee can make your dog sky-high, acohol is actually very addictive for a dog or cat and you can easily make your pet an acoholic! With similar consquences this has as in humans; health issues, withdrawal symptoms, crankiness, hyperactivity or stupor, very bad for the liver.
    I'd say it is not funny for the dog, even if his people laugh their heads off at his dazed behaviour.
    Good information about all sorts of human stuff and drinks dogs should not have access to is here http://www.iiwsoc.com/wordpress/?p=324

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My dog doesn't seem to drink enough water and if she's sick and needs to get plenty of fluids into her I give her water from whatever veg are being cooked for that days dinner, I would say if it's suitable but tbh I just have something for dinner that is suitable just so she can have the water from it :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Orla K wrote: »
    I know a little dog that got at someones white russian. Now the way this white russian is made it's mostly just vodka, one glass would get someone pretty drunk and the tiny dog got at it. The poor thing came running into the sitting room jumped up on the couch and completly missed it. She was hungover for two days, wouldn't move an inch but she's alright now everyone just has to be carful where they put their drinks now.

This is so funny....it really shouldnt be, but I can just imagine the poor little thing :D

Advertisement