Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat...could this be the best bloke film ever?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

When did either star in a film that made you sit up and say

?

I love both of them both as actors but meh.

Disagree! Are you actually talking about any film either actor has been in?

If so, are you really underwhelmed enough to say meh to The Godfather 1 and 2, Dog Day Afternoon, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Cape Fear, Raging Bull, Serpico, Glengarry Glen Ross, Insomnia etc. Not go John McEnroe, but you cannot be serious!!

My choices of best Boy's Night movies would be (not necessarily my all time favourite movies, just ones suited to a bloke's night):

Terminator 2
    Die Hard
    The Godfather
    Fight Club
    Dirty Harry
    Bullitt
    Rocky
    Braveheart
    Indiana Jones
    Gladiator
    Lethal Weapon

and dozens others if I thought a bit more about them.

On a sidenote, most war movies/series leave me dry. I hated The Pacific. There are some I like but normally they focus on other aspects of war, not just BOOM, BOOM, BOOM type stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

^^Reckon this could be a new thread in TGC? ...has potential...."The Guys Vid-Night in"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

What about
    Top Gun
    Total Recall
    Aliens
    Gladiator
    Matrix
    Rambo

for lads films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

^^see new thread daiti2011...let's see how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

People get lost (IMO) in the whole DeNiro/Pacnio on screen thing.

What are they now,pretty much washed up.

When did either star in a film that made you sit up and say

IMO that scene in the cafe is one of the greatest moments in cinema history, the 2 best actors of all time play out one of the best written scenes ever. Ronin is an ok film but it's forgettable trash compared to Heat. Yes both actors have started to go dowhill since Heat but everyone who loves films would agree that both actors have given us many memerable characters

Got to add Pulp Fiction to a lads weekend of already mentioned Die Hard, Heat, Aliens, Goodfellas, Terminator 1&2, Braveheart and Gladiator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

the best car chase in a movie has to be ronin i reckon
    Damn right...how they ever convinced the French Government/Parisian Council to let them do that is beyond me as they never ever allow car-chase scenes to be filmed in the capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

goodfellas??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

mike65 wrote: »
    Pffffffft! Many almost completely unknown (in the anglophone world) French and Italian crime thrillers from the 70s had chases that make Hollywoods tyre-squeelers look like Drive School.

However here is the best American chase I've seen 10 mins of V8 powered total white knuckles

Cool, not a seatbelt in sight! Any chance of clips from said french and italian thrillers?

Yea heat is class, been searching round for a poster of that scene in the diner, where de niro is on the phone to van zant, and he tells him he's talking to an empty telephone, cos "theres a dead man on the other end of this line"

does anyone know where to get this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Godfather. Ultimate guy movie.

Personally, The Deer Hunter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Chet Zar wrote: »
    You took the words out of my mouth...I actually turned it off as it was coming to the ending as I hate it as well. De Niro getting killed...ugh.

Was defo thinking of Ronin. Jean Reno and De Niro - far superior than Pacino and De Niro...love that film.

The ending is brilliant,
    it wraps up McCauley's speech about him never going back to jail, he'd rather die than go back, and even though him and Pacino have a mutual respect for each other, they both know one of them has to die, Pacino holding his hand as he dies but neither of them saying a word is a brilliant moment.
    fantastic music in that scene as well.

I love Heat, not for all the guns and chases, they're just the cherry on top, but its amazingly written, nobody makes crime look so cool as Michael Mann, I was actually on the street where the shootout was shot in LA a few months ago, its down in the financial district and wasnt too far from my hotel so took a wander over there. And its got one of the best casts of character actors ever, everyone has their own little story and they all intertwine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mle1324 wrote: »
    Good shoot out scene but it was robbed from an older film called LA Takedown ;)

I dont think you can accuse a director of robbing a scene from another movie that he also directed, Heat is a bigger budget remake/retake of LA Takedown, which is a pretty decent little movie in its own right.

Has anyone mentioned scarface? "say hello to my little friend" Classic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Damn right...how they ever convinced the French Government/Parisian Council to let them do that is beyond me as they never ever allow car-chase scenes to be filmed in the capital.

Have you never seen Rendezvous?

Who said they had permission of the council? :P
    I would rather get some good war films for a bloke DVD marathon:

Platoon
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Deerhunter
    Apocolypse Now

Which is fine, but why not actually list some good war films?
    A Bridge too Far

Better. No politics, just shooting.

Also Zulu, Black Hawk Down, An Ungentlemanly Act, Gettysburg, We Were Soldiers, The Siege of Firebase Gloria, 71-Into the Fire, The Longest Day, maybe The Beast, and at a push, Kelly's Heroes or The Pentagon Wars. There are certainly other great war films, such as Das Boot, Ta Guk Gi, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Battle of Britain, Patton, or The Enemy Below, but not the sort of thing for a lads' night in.

But if you just want a group of lads around with the beer and popcorn, it has to be 1941.
    My name is Captain Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it!

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I'm not a massive film fan but of all the movies mentioned apart from the war movies (have to watch them) I have to watch Heat if I flick past it. Die Hard I can live without.

Apocolypse and Deer Hunter are too long sometimes and cant be engaged.

Speaking of Heat, did anyone think that that was Charlize Theron as Val Kilmers wife? I did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Cool, not a seatbelt in sight!

And just as well. Ol' Roy wouldn't have survived that crash had he been wearing one.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

krudler wrote: »
    The ending is brilliant,
    it wraps up McCauley's speech about him never going back to jail, he'd rather die than go back, and even though him and Pacino have a mutual respect for each other, they both know one of them has to die, Pacino holding his hand as he dies but neither of them saying a word is a brilliant moment.
    fantastic music in that scene as well.

I love Heat, not for all the guns and chases, they're just the cherry on top, but its amazingly written, nobody makes crime look so cool as Michael Mann, I was actually on the street where the shootout was shot in LA a few months ago, its down in the financial district and wasnt too far from my hotel so took a wander over there. And its got one of the best casts of character actors ever, everyone has their own little story and they all intertwine.

Yeah totally agree about Mann- very stylish director.
    He also seems to be obsessed with LA at night (how bad) - cf. Collateral, another great film IMO.
    Club scene in that is brilliant.
    Great performances from Cruise, Fox and Ruffalo.
    Heat's great as well.

Advertisement