Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout

Options
  • 29-01-2011 6:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

This is wrong:

2vk13dj.jpg

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Very, it is not in Galway at all.
    This is wrong:

2vk13dj.jpg

Thanks for listening.

This is the NEW Galway Standard Roundabout Design for the Corrib Park roundabout :D

msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, where is that RB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I'm guessing it is just a random roundabout used to illustrate an all too common practice among Galway drivers, entering the roundabout from the wrong lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Sponge Bob wrote: »

This is the NEW Galway Standard Roundabout Design for the Corrib Park roundabout :D

msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

:eek:Christ that makes my head hurt just looking at it

It is the Menlo Park / Ford garage / pillo hotel roundabout
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.286929,-9.04509&spn=0.002668,0.008256&t=h&z=18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Aero28

It took me a while to figure out what roundabout it is. Yes, I agree that turning right and remaining on the left lane coming from terryland dunnes to get onto the eastern bypass, is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Aero28 wrote: »
    It took me a while to figure out what roundabout it is. Yes, I agree that turning right and remaining on the left lane coming from terryland dunnes to get onto the eastern bypass, is wrong.
    Totally agree.
    Sad thing is that almost every second car taking that outside lane is doing what is illustrated in the picture. Very frustrating for others on the roundabout and those trying to get on to it from the Headford road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

No, it's not,

nothing worse than bad drivers giving out to people doing the right thing.
    When traveling straight (I would consider that exist to be within the "straight ahead" parameters) stay in the Left lane, unless road markings say other wise.
    and now before you have a hissy fit:

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

But, if you do feel strongly about this, continue to do what you do and when you crash or cause a crash, a nice judge will educate you and you'll have to pay for the privllage.

Thanks

BornToBe? wrote: »
    I would consider that exist to be within the "straight ahead" parameters
    http://goo.gl/maps/oY9r
    Couldn't possibly be any straighter :P

Straight by exist number, not straight line, so technically straight would be exist 2 and a half, IMO exist 2 or 3 fall either side of that. Its a 5 exist round about so guessin it throws people off.
    Also straight ahead by ( N6 ) Main Road / Majority of traffic etc. so hence take priority and keep traffic flowing, therefore reducing traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

No, it's not,

nothing worse than bad drivers giving out to people doing the right thing.
    When traveling straight (I would consider that exist to be within the "straight ahead" parameters) stay in the Left lane, unless road markings say other wise.
    and now before you have a hissy fit:

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

But, if you do feel strongly about this, continue to do what you do and when you crash or cause a crash, a nice judge will educate you and you'll have to pay for the privllage.

Thanks

Yes it is:p

That exit is past 12 o' clock so you should be in the right hand lane. There's no way that's straight ahead.

Similar question was asked before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=298952
    No concrete answer, but the majority of people seem to be of the opinion that in situations such as the one in this thread that the inside lane should be taken.
    I'd imagine we could argue this one forever as it seems to be a matter of opinion.

Average-Ro wrote: »

That exit is past 12 o' clock so you should be in the right hand lane. There's no way that's straight ahead.

Again, your on the N6, so continue on the N6, and dont be thinking about how many degrees off centre the exist is.
    Anyways, do what ya want, but I'm not gonna argue about it. Just dont like OP preaching to me, esp when they're just pissed off about getting stuck in traffic coming off a secondary route onto a primary route, the hint is in the sceondary / primary

Again, your on the N6, so continue on the N6, and dont be thinking about how many degrees off centre the exist is.
    Anyways, do what ya want, but I'm not gonna argue about it. Just dont like OP preaching to me, esp when they're just pissed off about getting stuck in traffic coming off a secondary route onto a primary route, the hint is in the sceondary / primary

So if the N6 was the 5th exit, you'd go around entirely on the outside?

I think about the "degrees" as that's how I was thought to drive, and that's how I passed my test. That's how everyone else I know learned it as well.

Then you'd remember Primary routes take priority, and no, a primary route would not double back on itself so that you mentioned situation wouldn't happen.
    If you want a debate about it, go to the motor section and enjoy, but just consider traffic backing up all along the headford road and on to the bridge as people try and use the right hand lane, therefore halving the amount of cars able to continue on the N6,
    also remember you learned on a 4 exist round about, real life has made this junction a 5 exist, its up to you to adjust, location of the exist isn't priority, the primary route (straight ahead) is.
    It's saturday night, we all have better things to do than argue this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Straight by exist number, not straight line, so technically straight would be exist 2 and a half, IMO exist 2 or 3 fall either side of that. Its a 5 exist round about so guessin it throws people off.
    Also straight ahead by ( N6 ) Main Road / Majority of traffic etc. so hence take priority and keep traffic flowing, therefore reducing traffic.
    Do you have any reference that verifies your straight by number of exits rather than straight line theory? I used to think that as well until I had reason to re-read the Rules of the Road recently and the only interpretation I could take from that is that straight means a straight line. It would seem logical that (presuming you are not doubling back) you have two exits to the left of straight ahead and two exits to the right so you should be in the left lane for the first two and the right lane for the other two.
    Again, your on the N6, so continue on the N6
    By the same token you could say you are on the Headford Road as you approach that roundabout so continuing on the Headford Road (2nd exit) is the correct definition of continuing straight.

Then you'd remember Primary routes take priority, and no, a primary route would not double back on itself so that you mentioned situation wouldn't happen.
    If you want a debate about it, go to the motor section and enjoy, but just consider traffic backing up all along the headford road and on to the bridge as people try and use the right hand lane, therefore halving the amount of cars able to continue on the N6,
    also remember you learned on a 4 exist round about, real life has made this junction a 5 exist, its up to you to adjust, location of the exist isn't priority, the primary route (straight ahead) is.
    It's saturday night, we all have better things to do than argue this.

Actually, I learned on a 5 exit roundabout; my instructor said I'll rarley encounter those cross-shaped 4 lane ones;)

I've never heard of the primary route being priority (that's not to say it's not true, I don't claim to know everything) but I've heard everywhere that the location of the exit is how you judge which lane to take, so I'm inclined to believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

These roundabout threads are really frustrating. They start off with the good intention of somebody trying to give correct instructions and then descend into contradictory arguments which defeats the purpose and further confuses.
    So for anyone who wants to learn the correct way to use roundabouts I'd say not on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Roundabouts >>> roundabout threads >>> roundabout arguments.

Galway's badly-designed multi-lane roundabouts are a serious hazard for cyclists and pedestrians, and a big headache for many motorists. According to Garda statistics, 25% of crashes in the city occur on roundabouts.

When I am travelling from the Quincentenary Bridge side and heading up Bothar na dTreabh, I take the inside lane (ie the one closest to the centre of the roundabout), signalling right until I pass the second exit.

However, my OH often objects and I am frequently over(under)taken by other motorists sneaking up on my left.

Is there a belief, common practice or official permission that this is allowed on multilane roundabouts unless directions are marked on the lanes?

I have never felt it necessary to travel this route by bike, and I pity any cyclist who has to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I don't think so

2hdw7wm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

The way I learnt, in another European country, ...

- if you are taking the 1st or 2nd exit (no matter what the angle is), take the 'slow' lane
    - if you are taking the 2nd or later exit, take the 'fast' lane.
    - if you are taking a later exit, move, while on the roundabout, from the 'fast' lane to the 'slow' lane before your exit

V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Galway drivers have to be the worst drivers I have ever seen!! Shocking the stuff you see everyday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

In my opinion if your are taking an exit past 12 o clock I would be in the right hand lane.

However, if im honest, I know that if I appoached the roundabout in question I probably would be in the left hand lane.

Simply by mistake because I don't think I'd realise on approach that it was just past 12 o clock. (Sure I can't change lanes when I'm at the roundabout then.)

My point is, I wouldn't have intensionally done it if you get me. I'm sure others make this genuine mistake too. Its easy to see its past 12 o clock on the aerial view.....

If I used this roundabout everyday I would be in the right hand lane though. I'm just talking about the first time you approach it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

biko wrote: »
    OP, where is that RB?

Kind of looks like The Magic Roundabout in Swindon.

niamhocxox wrote: »
    In my opinion if your are taking an exit past 12 o clock I would be in the right hand lane.

However, if im honest, I know that if I appoached the roundabout in question I probably would be in the left hand lane.

Simply by mistake because I don't think I'd realise on approach that it was just past 12 o clock. (Sure I can't change lanes when I'm at the roundabout then.)

My point is, I wouldn't have intensionally done it if you get me. I'm sure others make this genuine mistake too. Its easy to see its past 12 o clock on the aerial view.....

If I used this roundabout everyday I would be in the right hand lane though. I'm just talking about the first time you approach it.....

That's what the sign is for before you reach the roundabout. Have a look at it before passing it and you'll see if your exit is before or after 12.

I know what you mean though. Sometimes I might miss the sign if I'm somewhere I've never driven before. In that case I go in the right hand lane and keep an eye out for the sign pointing me to the right exit. Once I know where it is, I keep going around until I come to it again and exit then.

I think it's a safer way of doing it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055998652

^^ Thats how I always see it. Though seeing cars going down that left lane and then wizzing out the N6 is awful frustrating, when its in all honesty, quite safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Average-Ro wrote: »

This is correct, as is the OP's assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Before the M6 the N6 used to come into a roundabout at Oranmore and take third exit off to the right.
    You often got sneaky types heading down the left lane and continuing on the N6, cause they didn't like to queue.
    Most people though correctly used the right lane since the primary or seconday status of roads off a roundabout have nothing to do with navigating it.
    I heard the Guards did a few people for driving without due consideration for using the left lane on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it really doesn't leave a great impression of the traffic planning/roads departments if people have to come online to discuss how to negotiate a roundabout, does it?

I always thought roads should be layed out/signposted clearly so that anyone can negotiate them easily and dare I say it, intuitively?

Knowing that Irish drivers generally leave a lot to be desired, these kinda road layouts REALLY don't help the situation...I wish someone in the council would cop on and mark the lanes at least...a bit of white paint could easily clear up a lot of the problems. It would still take people to see the markings and act ccordingly, of course, but at least there won't be anymore debates...

That said, I always though taking the left lane from Terryland to go straight up Bothar na Tradbh was ok as long as the people in the right hand lane going the same direction take the correct exit lane and don't cross your path...then there's no poblem...On the other hand, since I found that roundabout really slippery when it rains and because of the lane issues, I always try to avoid it completely ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Discussion in Motors on the same thing
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056163797
    You can vote there too :)

Btw http://vimeo.com/8553732

Advertisement