Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Challenger 25 years on

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

clln wrote: »
    I also fail to understand how many did not realise right away what had happened,it was so evident,almost like most viewing did not want to accept the evidence of their own eyes.

I think your right about that, here is another video of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

First time i have seen footage were the camera concentrated to the left.i was not aware an SRB had survived intact,was it just the portion that housed the parachute i wonder?
    certainly any pictures i have seen of recovered debris shows no large segments.

I also fail to understand how many did not realise right away what had happened,it was so evident,almost like most viewing did not want to accept the evidence of their own eyes.
    The boosters were destroyed remotely by the range and safety guys shortly after the breakup of the stack. The only parts that survived of any size were the nose cones which deployed their parachutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Beeker wrote: »
    The boosters were destroyed remotely by the range and safety guys.

Oh yeah i forgot about them,like the launch directors who have to live with themselves on any manned launch if something goes wrong having given the final GO.

range safety officers would in extreme circumstances have to remote explode a craft even with a crew aboard.
    not a job for the fainthearted!
    interesting to see the chute,like i said never saw that before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Oh yeah i forgot about them,like the launch directors who have to live with themselves on any manned launch if something goes wrong having given the final GO.

range safety officers would in extreme circumstances have to remote explode a craft even with a crew aboard.
    not a job for the fainthearted!
    interesting to see the chute,like i said never saw that before.
    Yeah what a tough decision to have to make:eek: Not a job for me.......however if it got me closer to the Shuttle.....maybe I could:)

Advertisement