Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl: 32" Full HD TV with MPEG4 Tuner - 3rd Feb

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

It seems you or I or anyone earth's or helps the signal, I had it on there with a scissors in the cable and when I move my away from it, I lose the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

jeffk wrote: »
    Right, I put in a coaxial or rf cable, the ole one say for the basic cable into the TV, in the female part of the cable I put the point off a nail clippers and held it in place with my hand and done the scan.
    Still not getting it. So your holding that piece of metal between the aerial part going into the back of the tv with your hand and the tv? Is that right? Apologies for being a dummy.

clonadlad wrote: »
    Still not getting it. So your holding that piece of metal between the aerial part going into the back of the tv with your hand and the tv? Is that right? Apologies for being a dummy.

I have

Noru_1176.pg.jpg

The male is in the TV and in the female a stanley blade or something that will go right into the connection and then by me holding the blade etc im earthing it.

The problem is when I dont hold it ,its goodbye stations

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

hi clonladlad, from ur earlier posts u had a similar setup as myself beofre buying this TV, i.e old cathode TV with old ariel on the roof plugged into the back?
    I removed all video recorders (i know!!), DVDs etc till all that was left was me, the old telly, the new telly and the coaxial aerial!

all i did was take the co-axial aerial out of the old telly and plugged into the new one....i let the new telly do automatic channel seerach/scan and all came in.....watching simpsons in HD!

hero25 wrote: »
    hi clonladlad, from ur earlier posts u had a similar setup as myself beofre buying this TV, i.e old cathode TV with old ariel on the roof plugged into the back?
    I removed all video recorders (i know!!), DVDs etc till all that was left was me, the old telly, the new telly and the coaxial aerial!

all i did was take the co-axial aerial out of the old telly and plugged into the new one....i let the new telly do automatic channel seerach/scan and all came in.....watching simpsons in HD!
    I tried taking everything out- all the Scart cables and still no joy after the search.

I think I tried what you said jeffk. On the aerial that's coming from the wall I pulled the cable out a small bit so I could touch it with something metal. I got a knife and just touched it on the outer layer of the Aerial and did the search again still no luck. Am I supposed to try and stick it right inbetween the the two things? A pic of what your talking about would be much appreciated. Would all the channels not go when you take the metal out though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

does the old telly work if u plug co-axial into its back?
    if so, it's not your aerial!

if old telly works, not meaning to offend you, but i presume co-axial is plaugged into "ANT" in the new telly?

if it is, press "menu", select "install and retune" and then scroll down to "initial installtion" and select OK and let if off....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thanks OP and thanks bargain alerts people for putting this up. Tis a legend of a tv! I picked on up a 8am this morning and have not looked back.

I tried taking everything out- all the Scart cables and still no joy after the search.

I think I tried what you said jeffk. On the aerial that's coming from the wall I pulled the cable out a small bit so I could touch it with something metal. I got a knife and just touched it on the outer layer of the Aerial and did the search again still no luck. Am I supposed to try and stick it right inbetween the the two things? A pic of what your talking about would be much appreciated. Would all the channels not go when you take the metal out though?

Not sure if this is any help but I was just browsing the menu and went into 'settings', then went into 'Other settings' then there is an option for 'Broadcast type' under this menu.

I'm using a scart upc box connection myself so I cannot choose any option other than 'digital arial' but I presume / hope that this option may be useful to look at with regards your problem? Maybe set it to a setting from there i.e. an analogue / terestrial ariel and then see how that goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Just picked one of these up for a friend earlier today and tuned it in no problem.

They have a dvd recorder and it will pick up the analogue channels but wont pick up the new digital channels.Can anyone help me with this problem please.Just not sure if i am doing something wrong or do I need blueray to pick up these channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Thanks OP and thanks bargain alerts people for putting this up. Tis a legend of a tv! I picked on up a 8am this morning and have not looked back.

Me too, delighted with it. At last I have a telly with a 3 pin plug :D

Also picked up a €20 litre of Captain Morgan in Dunnes on the way home, another bargain alert, so I'm as happy as Larry here!

• Advertisement

Me too, delighted with it. At last I have a telly with a 3 pin plug :D

Also picked up a €20 litre of Captain Morgan in Dunnes on the way home, another bargain alert, so I'm as happy as Larry here!
    Plug your hard drive in to it via the usb and find much more happiness;) I have hundreds of movies on my lil hard drive and am happilly browsing them now and they play at very watchable res, all legal of course;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Plug your hard drive in to it via the usb and find much more happiness;) I have hundreds of movies on my lil hard drive and am happilly browsing them now and they play at very watchable res, all legal of course;)

i've found some AVI files i have won't work. some don't even display when I view the folder through the tv, it seems to think there's nothing in the folder, even though I know there's an avi there.
    others will attempt to play, but then say that the format is unrecognised/invalid. they all play fine on my laptop though :confused:

wmv's don't dispaly either, so can't play them, but strangely wma audio files will play....

hero25 wrote: »
    does the old telly work if u plug co-axial into its back?
    if so, it's not your aerial!

if old telly works, not meaning to offend you, but i presume co-axial is plaugged into "ANT" in the new telly?

if it is, press "menu", select "install and retune" and then scroll down to "initial installtion" and select OK and let if off....
    Still no luck. I tried the first time installation and have done the digital search several times. Surely I have everything set up grand cause I'm able to get all the normal analogue channels. I don't know what's going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Did you get any analogue stations?
    What stations had you got previously?
    What type of aerial have you?
    Where are you located?

Was not there not one in Lidl yesterday?

@ clonadlad Sorry for the delayed reply, the method im using is basically a test, it was to help out out people decide to buy the TV or not. As you say once you move the metal away, the stations are gone.

There must be something very simple going wrong, one idea I just had was when you turned it on, did you make sure to set it to Ireland?

Also and not to sound like a Lidl rep, but its great to see people got over badge snobbery and bought this TV. If this does well im sure lidl will look at more electrical items and the warranty alone makes that good news.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Did you get any analogue stations?
    What stations had you got previously?
    What type of aerial have you?
    Where are you located?
    I can get RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 now on analogue. I got them channels before with the old set up aswell as this new one.
    My aerial looks fairly similar for this one but it kinda looks like we have 2 aerials in one on the roof. Kinda wierd set up but looks like this.
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/images/detailed/1/uhf-tv-aerial-grey12935252844d19a12484244.jpg
    I'm about a mile outside Portlaoise.

@jeffk It's definately set to Ireland.

AFAIK you should have that aerial pointing at Mount Leinster, which should be just east of south from you. DTT from there is on channel 45.
    However, there is different grouped aerials, though they look the same. The UHF analogue from mount leinster for TV3 & TG4 are on channels 26 & 23 respectively. This is group A aerial.
    As I said Dtt is on channel 45 this is in the group b aerials.
    So if your aerial is group a it may not be able to pick up the digital channel ie. channel 45.
    Do you know of any end cap on the aerial, what colour is it?
    Here is link to give you an idea.

Also can a single digital channel scan be done on tv?
    Could you confirm what channel TV3 is on, is it 26?

Gipo3 wrote: »
    AFAIK you should have that aerial pointing at Mount Leinster, which should be just east of south from you. DTT from there is on channel 45.
    However, there is different grouped aerials, though they look the same. The UHF analogue from mount leinster for TV3 & TG4 are on channels 26 & 23 respectively. This is group A aerial.
    As I said Dtt is on channel 45 this is in the group b aerials.
    So if your aerial is group a it may not be able to pick up the digital channel ie. channel 45.
    Do you know of any end cap on the aerial, what colour is it?
    Here is link to give you an idea.

Also can a single digital channel scan be done on tv?
    Could you confirm what channel TV3 is on, is it 26?
    The aerial looks to be facing the right direction. There doesn't seem to be an end cap on the aerial from what I can see.
    Yeah a single digital scan can be done. When I scan it, it goes past each of the channels you've mentioned above but no digital stations are added.

Do you think my aerial is up for DTT?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

aerial should be fine,, post your question on the tv section of boards.ie plenty of info and answers there

• Advertisement

Whats the problem so, as it is not the tv.

I decided to try the tv upstairs where the reception seemed a lot better and what happens? It feckin' works. Whatever eejit tried to wire the house made a balls of it cause only one aerial socket on the groundfloor works for digital. May get some lad in to do it properly now.

Thanks for all the help anyway!

I decided to try the tv upstairs where the reception seemed a lot better and what happens? It feckin' works. Whatever eejit tried to wire the house made a balls of it cause only one aerial socket on the groundfloor works for digital. May get some lad in to do it properly now.

Thanks for all the help anyway!

Good to see its working!

Can you not run a cable from the upstairs to the TV downstairs? It will be much cheaper to buy the cable then have a fella in to do work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Good to see its working!

Can you not run a cable from the upstairs to the TV downstairs? It will be much cheaper to buy the cable then have a fella in to do work!

+1 It's probably a simple enough fault somewhere, try re-wiring the faulty TV socket for starters and if that doesn't work check out where they have split the aerial feed in the attic or where ever.

invest4deepvalue.com

Good to see its working!

Was thinking of doing that but we're getting in a lad to do a bit of work soon enough anyway so we might aswell get him to do it properly instead of having a cable running through the whole house.

Was thinking of doing that but we're getting in a lad to do a bit of work soon enough anyway so we might aswell get him to do it properly instead of having a cable running through the whole house.

Ah well if theres someone already coming out to do work.

You could have used those video senders, but im not sure on how good/bad they are.

Advertisement