Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL regulalr season game in Croke Park ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Rochey18 wrote: »
    All I know about this is Dan Rooney was over All Ireland football weekend and I was told this idea was discussed then.

I did see him at croke park that day but had been told this before the game so who knows fingers crossed.

'Over'?! He's the US ambassador to Ireland, he damn well better be over here! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Haha sorry, I meant he was there for the firefighters, but it was discussed also.
    I know he the ambassador, my bad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

So we can take form the interview that the Olympics is a deciding factor in this. Even thought it ends in Aug (strange)

I'm only speculating but I'd imagine the stance Goddell is taking on the Olympics mights be something to do with the fact that many people in the greater London area may be saturated with sport, and financially it might be a factor!

Might not be the case at all but could be a possibility! Now I know people who are NFL fans will go but you just never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

So we can take form the interview that the Olympics is a deciding factor in this. Even thought it ends in Aug (strange)

No, he said there probably won't be a second game in London because of the Olympics.

It won't help decide if there'll be a second game, and where it might be

Dodge wrote: »
    No, he said there probably won't be a second game in London because of the Olympics.

It does open up the possibility of a second game next year at a different location, certainly Ireland's (and by extension Scotland's and Wales') chances have increased this week. Just emotionally, switching to one of the other nations rather than having a second game in, say, Manchester (the Glazers would probably be very keen to join their two teams up) would give the second game its own identity and flavour. I wonder what's the attendance the NFL would be looking to achieve with a second game.

Still think there's zero chance of the second game going to Germany given how committed they've said they are to developing one territory first and not spreading out yet. While it'd be an undoubted success, it's not really part of their plans for the second game.

• Advertisement

Even though Tampa's attendance is terrible would the NFL really give them a 3rd game in the International series! Doesn't allow for much fan expansion to other teams!

On the other hand if they do allow them to it could be seen as a first step to move a team abroad, as it allows for a consistent fan base for one team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Dublin Tourism or Bord Failte should be promoting the sh1t out of the possibility of bringing an NFL game to Croker. I heard that interview on the Peter King podcast and it certainly didn't sound like Goodell was bullsh!tting, it does sound like a real possibility.

Croke Park will not be filled by Irish fans. If you fill it it will be by British fans and American ex pats coming across for the game, enourmous money spinner for Dublin and the whole country.

fisgon wrote: »
    Dublin Tourism or Bord Failte should be promoting the sh1t out of the possibility of bringing an NFL game to Croker.

Of course they are. They'd be the leading drivers of this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

I really hope this happens. Was at the last two London games and sometime in the future I plan on travelling to Denver for a game. But it would be something else to have a regular season game in Ireland in a packed Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

ac20 wrote: »
    Perhaps someone else who attended the game can verify the attendance Im going on memory with the 27k.

Not sure about the 27k, I was thinking nearer the 2Ok mark. Regardless of attendance, the gridiron dwarves in size versus the gaelic pitch and its difficult to replicate and sustain the atmosphere there. I remember long periods of boredom when I changed seats about four times {different levels} for a different view. Wembley struggles with this also but they {the NFL} do a great job in countering this, so presumably they'd get this right for a regular season game at Croker too. Would be some day out.....

The Corrs played at the half in the rain....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Dodge wrote: »

It wil lhelp decide by the process of elimination, it rules out London, therefore is an additional factor in the deciding the location. Not the deciding factor as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

not from what Goodell says, and surely thats all that matters!

And I'm sure Goodell would say the same if asked about Cardiff, Edinburgh, Amsterdam etc

i.e On a regular season game in .....:
    We've not done that but I think that it could be a success...

I would be as happy as the next fan to see a game in Dublin but to be honest I think it is a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

SAINTRON wrote: »
    The Corrs played at the half in the rain....:D

If we offer them Jedward to fill in the stoppages Goodell will have to award it to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭clare ny

I think that NFL game in croke park would be fantastic idea ..
    just random thought but how about steelers vs one of the new york teams ..

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

The Steelers host the Packers in 2013 so I will accept nothing less than that matchup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Dan Rooney on Newstalk now.

Edit - Anyone who missed it, don't worry he didn't say anything we didn't already know (although I wasn't aware that the Steelers have a contract with the city of Pittsburgh that says that every home game MUST take place in Pittsburgh)

Yeah puts paid to the 'everyone has to play a home game' idea, that I and others have posted.

Was surprised by his positivity tbh, and by how much he wanted the steelers involved

Surely most cities have that in the contracts since all the money they put into teams and each game!

Well we know Miami, New Orleans, Tamba Bay, San Francisco and Buffalo don't...

Are you sure or were they just exceptions?!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Are you sure or were they just exceptions?!

Err, if it was a situation where they can make exceptions then it's not really an issue beyond actually convincing the franchise to give up a home game. Same as always.

Rooney may be just pulling some arcane stipulation that has a huge loophole out of the air because he doesn't want the Steelers to give up a home game.

May depend on the individual city though! Tampa and Buffalo(before this year) struggled with attendance so I'm sure the city didn't mind not having the financial outlay for those days!

If the Steelers do ever come to Ireland then it will definitely be a home game they'd be giving up IMO! Can't see any other team giving into Rooney and costing themselves a home game!

even though 4 other teams have already done it?

Can you clarify what your saying there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

San Diego, Tampa x2, Miami and San Fran I imagine is what he's saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

kmart6 wrote: »
    May depend on the individual city though! Tampa and Buffalo(before this year) struggled with attendance so I'm sure the city didn't mind not having the financial outlay for those days!

If the Steelers do ever come to Ireland then it will definitely be a home game they'd be giving up IMO! Can't see any other team giving into Rooney and costing themselves a home game!

I'd say the contracts with the city are only in instances where public money was used to fund the construction of the stadium which wouldn't be the case with Miami, Buffalo, SF or NO as they are old stadiums. The trend of NFL teams holding cities to ransom over new stadiums is only a new phenomenon of probably the last 10-15 years.

SantryRed wrote: »
    San Diego, Tampa x2, Miami and San Fran I imagine is what he's saying.

It was New Orleans rather than San Diego, but yeah. So...
    Can't see any other team giving into Rooney and costing themselves a home game!

I just can't see any basis for you sying no team will give up a home game, when these 4 have already done it.

And 1 way or another there's soon going to be 2 international games so some team is going to play at least 1 'home' game in Europe

I'm saying giving one up that is specifically just to satisfy Rroney and his desire for a game in Ireland! It was different for the other teams...they were specifically helping out the league...there was no real personal agenda....and no I don't think that can be said for Tampa...their attendance is awful nothing to do with the Glazers and United!

This game (if it happens), isn't to suit the Rooneys. its part of the NFL International Series.

Franchises aren't doing it to help the NFL, they're doing it to help themselves (and there's nothing wrong with that)

• Advertisement

Bull...if it wasn't for the Rooneys there's no way there'd be so much talk about using Croke Park! The market here is much smaller than holding it anywhere else in the UK!

Advertisement