Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alison Curtis leaving Today FM

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

ste88m wrote: »
    It seems Louise Duffy of AA Roadwatch will be the new presenter of the 5am - 7am slot on Today FM...

Certainly different from doing traffic reports, and it'll be an even earlier start. But good luck to her all the same.

Oh dear! Is she the girl that makes a lot of mistakes reading the traffic reports! It's ok though I won't hear it. Too early for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So that's louise Duffy than of AA roadwatch fame ? Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Feckin' hell, the monopoly O'Brien has on radio - I remember when he bid for the Emap Irish radio portfolio (Today FM, FM104, one or two local stations) it was assumed he hadn't a chance. It was pretty much laughed off - after all, he had NewsTalk, Sp!n and 98FM. D'oh.

And now Phantom? The reduction in competition doesn't seem too healthy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Is Alison gone?

Don't think she was a fan of the early mornings.

She always sounded sour on the morning show

She does like her nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well done to Louise Duffy on her first show this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

I wish today fm would have given this louise girl a real chance by putting fony fenton on early mornings and putting her on afternoons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Bard wrote: »
    Communicorp (owners of Today FM, Newstalk, 98FM, Spin and more) bought a majority stake in Phantom and they've moved in to Marconi House, upstairs from Today FM.

Sorry for the thread ressurection, was looking up something else and came across this.

How the hell are Communicorp allow to buy up yet another media outlet in Ireland? Or part of it at least.

Scandalous.

What sort of country are we living in? O'Brien owns the 2 largest independent stations in the country and is majority shareholder in the most popular newspaper in the country too.

How is this allowed to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

kraggy wrote: »
    Sorry for the thread ressurection, was looking up something else and came across this.

How the hell are Communicorp allow to buy up yet another media outlet in Ireland? Or part of it at least.

Scandalous.

What sort of country are we living in? O'Brien owns the 2 largest independent stations in the country and is majority shareholder in the most popular newspaper in the country too.

Fear not! I'm quite sure we have a 'regulator' who will, in the fullness of time, have a quick look at the issue and conclude that's it's fine. It's how we do things in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Communicorp (owners of Today FM, Newstalk, 98FM, Spin and more) bought a majority stake in Phantom and they've moved in to Marconi House, upstairs from Today FM.

Just to clarify that Communicorp have acquired a stake in Phantom but it is not a majority stake. The station moved into Marconi House last January.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

BrianD wrote: »
    Just to clarify that Communicorp have acquired a stake in Phantom but it is not a majority stake. The station moved into Marconi House last January.

I stand corrected, but can I assume that the stake is large enough to be considered a 'controlling' one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

kraggy wrote: »

Scandalous.

The problem is that it is not a level playing field.. DOB puts the money in and demands results, its a business. We put the money into RTE, all the licensing fees and so on, and there is little accountability, as we can see by the endless amounts of trash they put out on air. If the other stations got a cut of the licence fees, it would be a lot fairer. The private stations put out better quality programmes with far fewer resources. Whether you like DOB or not, at least they keep the stations going.. very few others around willing to invest.

I stand corrected, but can I assume that the stake is large enough to be considered a 'controlling' one?

Not a controlling one. They are one of 4 shareholders and not the largest.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

BrianD wrote: »
    Not a controlling one. They are one of 4 shareholders and not the largest.

Nonsense! Communicorp are the ones making ALL the Phantom decisions now - sure, the station are now based in a few cupboards down the back of Marconi House, the Communicopy HQ. Plus Communicorp are behind the axing of a huge % of Phantom staff (including, though he didn't say it, Brian D) and ALL programming decisions. It may be couched in "one of 4 shareholders" but they're the ones calling the shots. Just ask any current Phantom staff member (if you can find one!) or those who've left the station because their positions were made redundant.

Nonsense! Communicorp are the ones making ALL the Phantom decisions now - sure, the station are now based in a few cupboards down the back of Marconi House, the Communicopy HQ. Plus Communicorp are behind the axing of a huge % of Phantom staff (including, though he didn't say it, Brian D) and ALL programming decisions. It may be couched in "one of 4 shareholders" but they're the ones calling the shots. Just ask any current Phantom staff member (if you can find one!) or those who've left the station because their positions were made redundant.

Bard just asked about a controlling stake to which to me means a majority stake or the larger stake. I just was just clarifying this point. The shareholders can decide who they want to call the shots at an operational level.

Last time I was in the building they weren't in the cupboards - perhaps they are now. :)

Communicorp HQ is generally considered to be Grand Canal Quay with the Twilight Zone elevator. Was "Communicopy" a typo or intended? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

So is Alison Curtis sitting at home twiddling her thumbs? Don't believe she's on any station,great dj though with a wealth of knowledge on music. is she in the background?

Sorry to jump off the communi-thingy conversation, just saw the thread title and wondered what she was up to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

So is Alison Curtis sitting at home twiddling her thumbs? Don't believe she's on any station,great dj though with a wealth of knowledge on music. is she in the background?

Sorry to jump off the communi-thingy conversation, just saw the thread title and wondered what she was up to...

She went to Phantom, started donig afternoons there, then went off on maternity leave.

I don't know if she is coming back, or is still on maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

cool. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

sorry to dig up this old thread, but I heard Paul mcloone say Alison is coming back to todayfm, where will she fit into the schedule I wonder?

he didnt give any more details on it or when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

patrickc wrote: »
    sorry to dig up this old thread, but I heard Paul mcloone say Alison is coming back to todayfm, where will she fit into the schedule I wonder?

he didnt give any more details on it or when.

Ye fairly sure this is happening, I think it's more a fill in role, Saturday mornings is the most probable.

Advertisement