Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst Gimmick Matches

Options
  • 27-01-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Don't think this was a thread before (did a quick search and couldn't find it).

Now I don't really mean specific matches, but types of matches.

Personally I think the Royal Rumble is one of the greatest gimmick matches ever created. Always been a favourite of mine, and look forward to it more than wrestlemania.

But there are a number of gimmick matches that I just hate. Top of the list is empty arena matches. The Rock v Mankind would be a great example of why, without a crowd there, there's no atmosphere at all. Ruined the match for me.

Similar to boiler room brawls, it's away from the crowd, they only react to what's on screen, and it's not quite the same as if the match had started in the arena. It's harder to buy into.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,206 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

hair matches.

fúcking can't stand them.

mainly because bald isn't that big a deal in modern times, and, the hair can grow back in 6 weeks if the competitor so chooses, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

worst ever: Kennel from hell!

Nuff said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That was awful, but was only a once off I think.

I never saw the atttaction in empty arena matches either. Whats the point?

Ladder matches kind of annoy me as well. Sure they are exciting, but I hate how suddenly every participant forgets how to climb a ladder.

I like chain macthes when done properly. One of the best I have ever seen was in ROH last year, Colt Cabana & Generico Vs Steen & Corino. It was brutal and violent but the psychology of it was just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Honest to god this is the first time ive ever heard of an 'Arena match'.
    And havent lifted my jaw off the floor.
    Not in a "thats brilliant" way, more out of sheer confusion..

Why, just.. Why?!
    Whats the point?!

Personally when i was growing up i loved the cage matches. In particular tag team cage matches.
    I used to love how one member of the heel team would get to leave the cage with the partner left inside, destined to get a beating.
    The same to be said for if it was a face team. Willing them on to over come the odds and win what had become basically a handicap cage match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

CMpunked wrote: »
    Honest to god this is the first time ive ever heard of an 'Arena match'.
    And havent lifted my jaw off the floor.
    Not in a "thats brilliant" way, more out of sheer confusion..

Why, just.. Why?!
    Whats the point?!
    It was filmed as part of the Superbowl halftime show that year. Just didn't have a crowd to use I'm guessing.

• Advertisement

It was filmed as part of the Superbowl halftime show that year. Just didn't have a crowd to use I'm guessing.

Oh that explains the halftime bit.

How did that land the halftime spot?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Oh that explains the halftime bit.

How did that land the halftime spot?!

it was shown on mtv or some such channel as an attempt to steal viewers away from the half time show/analysis

think they are gone now but scaffold matches always struck me as spectacularly dumb matches, also item on a pole matches irritate me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

The section in Foleys book about him trying to get pumped up with no crowd is quite an interesting read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Really like Ultimate X matches even if they are a little overused thats the best gimmick match idea in years.Hate the idea of TLC don't a lot of ladder matches involve chairs or tables anyway.Cage matches have been annoying me lately they happen far too often to get me excited.Casket matches tend to suck most of the time aswell,as do Buried Alive & Inferno matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,454 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hell in a Cell was fantastic before they ruined it with it's own PPV. It should always be the last scenario to end an ongoing fued. Now it's a bunch of Hell in a Cell matches just because it's October or whatever

• Advertisement

Best gimmick match conceived in the last 10 years?..
    Elimination_chamber_nyr06.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Of course "Russo on a pole" matches are obvious awful gimmicks, it's like someone got a ladder match and took all of the spots and ladders out. The worst part is when whatever's on the pole (like a cole miner's glove, nightstick etc) doesn't play into the finish!!

My least favourite gimmick is a strap match where people have to touch the four corners. Besides being really limiting and turning the match into a schmoz until it ends, it always has the same finish where one guy drags the other guy to the four corners while one touches each corner behind the first guy's back. Boo!

My favourite gimmick (besides the Rumble) are long-timed matches; Ultimate Submission and Iron Man matches as they generally only have stars who can go for an hour, have tremendous story-telling skills and generally great wrestlers. Iron Man with HBK/Bret; Rock/HHH, HHH/Benoit, Brock/Angle were all great; as was Angle/Benoit Ultimate Submission. AJ/Daniels did a 30-minute Iron Man (Bronze man lol) which was brilliant.

Barrington wrote: »
    Hell in a Cell was fantastic before they ruined it with it's own PPV. It should always be the last scenario to end an ongoing fued. Now it's a bunch of Hell in a Cell matches just because it's October or whatever

That could be said for all the match themed PPVs. :(

That could be said for all the match themed PPVs. :(

Totally. Feuds are thrust into a specific gimmick match whether it makes sense or is at the right point of the feud; with multiple matches having the same gimmick - and it really hurts the novelty and the interest in the fued.

Take CM Punk's feud with Taker
    1st PPV match : Submission (Breaking Point)
    2nd PPV match : Hell in a Cell (HiaC)
    -two matches on SD!-
    3rd PPV match : 4 way that includes Batista and Rey.

What a mess :(

Speaking of awesome gimmick matches... Dustin Rhodes and Blacktop Bully in a King of the Road match :D

Interesting trivia : Dustin & Blacktop Bully were fired afterwards for blading during the match (which was shot during the day, was heavily edited) due to blading being against company policy at the time. Dustin went straight to the WWF and the Goldust character was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sliotor

The gimmick match that I dislike is the barbwire match, I know some people are really into extreme hardcore matches but I would prefer an ironman match with two talented wrestlers, opposed to two guys just ripping the crap out of each other and no wrestling. Again I am sure people will disagree just my two cents.

I see your kennel and i raise you a:

punjabiprison.jpg

Even more embarrassing for WWE than the benoit incident, its the punjabi prison...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Nuff said!

"The crowd are in stunned silence!!"

No they're silent coz it's muck!

I'm pretty sure Batista and Khali (or was it Cena and Khali?) actually had a good match in the Punjabi Prison; unlike the Kennel from Hell which was one and done!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

The reverse battle royal sounded pretty awful, I chose to never watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hair matches should only take place in Mexico, at least over there its part of the culture and its genuinely looked upon as one of the worst thing sto happen to lose your hair or mask.

Empty arena matches are generally sh*t, the only good one I've ever seen was Funk/Lawler and that was down to Terry being f*cking amazing. The entire premise is a bit silly though, I think originally the idea was that the match was going to be too violent to allow fans be present, but then why show it on telly?

When you think about it, the whole idea of a ladder match is a bit stupid as well and puts the champion at a distinct disadvantage.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    the match was going to be too violent to allow fans be present, but then why show it on telly?

When you think about it, the whole idea of a ladder match is a bit stupid as well and puts the champion at a distinct disadvantage.

That's a great point about empty arena matches. Although I think that's the point of ladder matches (or fatal 4 way, elimination chamber etc) is that the champion is at a disadvantage in that it's more likely that they'll be a new champion (i.e. buy this ppv)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I love the tlc matches especially that tag teams ones with Hardyz/E&C and Dudleyz in but not a fan of the TLC ppv

+ 1 on the Rumble being one of the best and also the Survivor Series Elimination matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Favourite Gimmick Matches:

Hell in a Cell: When used properly as a feud ending match, this is perfect.

Ladder Matches: Some of my favourite matches have been ladder matches. I love seeing well executed, well planned high flying. Plus with at least one great story teller in the ring, it provides a great chance for dramatic action. As for the "point" of ladder matches, it has made perfect since on occasion. Money in the Bank is a good example. There is a contract above the ring, the man that wants it most will get it. It also made perfect sense when HBK and Razor Ramon each had an Intercontinental title belt. But them above the ring and see who gets to them first. I would say the same applied to Ultimate X matches.

Iron Man matches: A rare chance for great workers to put on a show. Would love a Danielson-Punk Iron Man match at Mania some day! Probably more chance of me headlining Mania though :pac:

Bra and panties matches with Stacy Keibler :D

Royal Rumble: Look forward to it more than any other yearly event

War Games: If WWE are intent on gimmick match PPVs, this should be one of them.

Falls Count Anywhere match: When done right they are wild and exciting. Adds moves that you don't normally see in matches. Cactus Jack/HHH had a great one.

Worst Gimmick Matches:

Casket Matches: It is virtually impossible to create tension in them. I have rarely witnessed a decent one (HBK/Taker the only I can remember). It mainly involves rolling a guy towards a casket...very exciting! Of course it hasn't helped that Taker is normally facing a massive, useless lump in them.

Inferno Match: All sense of disbelief is lost. It is ridiculous.

Scaffold Matches: Pointless as they usually have zero space to work with. Involves punch after punch back and forth. Awful!

Lumberjack match: Limits the action and is nearly always the same format as every other Lumberjack match. Wouldn't mind if that format was in any way more exciting than seeing a quick beatdown over and over.

And my biggest hate for a gimmick is the Loser Leaves Town gimmick. It is rendered so pointless since 90% of them are not followed through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I think the general opinion is opinion is we enjoy most gimmick matches bar the dumb ones the majority Vince Russo books.But the likes of the Cage,Hell in a Cell & others should be used to end a feud NOT BUILD A PPV AROUND.I'm a bit worried the 40 Wrestlers could ruin the Rumble match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

GTR63 wrote: »
    I think the general opinion is opinion is we enjoy most gimmick matches bar the dumb ones the majority Vince Russo books.But the likes of the Cage,Hell in a Cell & others should be used to end a feud NOT BUILD A PPV AROUND.I'm a bit worried the 40 Wrestlers could ruin the Rumble match.

think 40's a good idea. if you consider how the rumbles used to build story lines for mania the fact that at some point there'll be a corre & nexus facing off at some point and thats 9 rumble entrants alone. it's good for guys like tatsu and all to get ppv time unless of course they get thrown straight over and have no time to show off. honestly i see 40 working well-longer rumble whats's not to like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lonlonrancher

Royal Rumble is the best. I agree that they have ruined the Hell in a Cell by giving it its own PPV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lonlonrancher

by the way how do i get the Royal Rumble 2011 PPV (Dublin, Ireland)? I have the sports channels but i'm with UPC, not SKY+.. does that mean i'm screwed for PPVs in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You can order PPVs on UPC.

You just have to call them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

WORST

First Blood - Whats the point? Everyone usually ends up bleeding in a Hardcore/Street Fight anyway. Just helps shorten the match.

Casket - Like pointed out earlier the only good one was HBK/Taker from 98. But that match was good inspite of the casket being there not because of it. And the stupid thing also made HBK loose 4 years of action when he was probably at his peak.

Inferno - Just terrible.

Gauntlet - Might aswell just be a handicap match.

BEST

Ladder - Usually always very entertaining matches. Still remember the very first one with Bert & HBK in 92 was out of this world had never seen anything like it before.

Submission - Also usually very entertaining. Can't remember seeing to many I didnt like.

Hell In A Cell - No explanation needed. Even if the match in general is crap theres nearly always some moment or incident during a HIAC that will stick in peoples mind for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

tdv123 wrote: »

Hell In A Cell - No explanation needed. Even if the match in general is crap theres nearly always some moment or incident during a HIAC that will stick in peoples mind for a long time.

There hasnt been a really memorable HIAC match since Foley vs Trips IMO.I do remember enjoying Lesner and Taker though,if only for the ridiculous amount of blood spilled.

Advertisement