Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Unfortunately, it seems like someone's way of handling a leaky battery previously was to take the bottom panel off entirely and pop the plastic top off the battery compartment. The contact inside is gone too, but the wire's still there. The hatch has well seized in place since

No problem. I just need to find a way to build a new one.

This may take a little engineering, but isn't impossible. It looks like the case itself was supposed to act as ground for the battery, so I just need a contact for the top and a way to fix it in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Got it working.

I think.

No idea how accurate it is yet. But the fact that the needle is moving and changing in the right direction is a good sign.

Not too keen on showing how I did it because it's a catastrophic hack that'd probably be an insult to reveal to any professional, involving an old TV remote control battery spring, some modelling putty to hold it in place without shorting the battery on the case, some quick soldering and an o-ring to keep the cell secure in the battery compartment, followed by cleaning up all the corrosion on the baseplate where something had leaked and rusted it.

Considering the entire battery compartment consisted of a dangling cable, I'm feeling somewhat pleased with myself.

The acid test will be putting a fresh roll of film through it, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Mechanicaly, it's all there. Verified the lens is working automatically and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If you have insomnia this evening you could do worse than watch Film4 at 1am. The Salt Of The Earth. Or just record it and watch it at your leisure.
    The visionary photographer Sebastião Salgado is the subject of this masterful Brazilian documentary directed by Wim Wenders and Salgado’s son, Juliano Ribeiro Salgado. A witness to some of the greatest moments in recent history, Salgado dedicated over 40 years to documenting famine, war and conflict, as well as the grandiose landscapes that he found in the multiple continents that he visited during his career. Wenders, a photographer himself, thoughtfully captures his iconic peer from a cleared-eyed perspective, in a film that would earn him an Academy Award nomination for Best Documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    If you have insomnia this evening you could do worse than watch Film4 at 1am. The Salt Of The Earth. Or just record it and watch it at your leisure.

looks great,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

http://petapixel.com/2016/11/03/chicago-tribune-sun-times-covers-world-series/

Difference between newspaper using professional photographer and newspaper that fired all photographers and use public photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Sir Elton John’s Modernist Photography Collection – A Home Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Alert.. Photowalk proposed for next week.. it's been a while!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101815651#post101815651

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Some brilliantly captured images!

The winged bear is my fave :D

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/laughter-goes-wild-in-comedy-wildlife-photography-awards/

My new photo website http://abstractabstract.com is live. It needs a few final bits done but feel free to have a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Woo hoo- I'm back in the game. I gave up my DSLR six years ago when I bought a house. It and some lenses helped pay for carpets. I never quite got around to buying one again as after selling my Pentax K7 I wanted an equivalent Pentax. Fast forward to today and I've just picked up a K5 at a fantastic price. It's in fabulous condition, has a low shutter count and even came with box, cables and receipt.

Happy days. The only downside it that as it's been so long..... I feel like I have to start learning all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Woo hoo- I'm back in the game. I gave up my DSLR six years ago when I bought a house. It and some lenses helped pay for carpets. I never quite got around to buying one again as after selling my Pentax K7 I wanted an equivalent Pentax. Fast forward to today and I've just picked up a K5 at a fantastic price. It's in fabulous condition, has a low shutter count and even came with box, cables and receipt.

Happy days. The only downside it that as it's been so long..... I feel like I have to start learning all over again.

I think a Photowalk is needed :-) Welcome back!!

Lightroom 'auto straighten the photo' feature! Where have you been all my life? Love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what does it do? detect the horizon for you?

what does it do? detect the horizon for you?

19 times out of 20 it'll straighten my photo perfectly. Don't know how it works but I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Possibly takes meta info from a level sensor? Snapseed App on my iphone does the same for horizons. It's great.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Spent all day in Sicily, up mount Etna shooting my 60D with 10-22mm lens. Got some amazing shots. Only to realise that at some point on the way to the top of the volcano I inadvertently changed settings to 4.5mp RAW + 2.5MP jpg....

I almost want to cry, as I got some fantastic shots, but 4.5MP is next to useless these days. :(

It seems if you hit the Quick Menu button and spin the dial it starts setting your​ resolution settings... In the 5 or 6 years I've shot with this camera I've never had a single issue until now!

Ahhhh!

anyone recommend a good, free duplicate photo finder please? I know there's loads online but always like a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dinneenp wrote: »
    anyone recommend a good, free duplicate photo finder please? I know there's loads online but always like a recommendation.

I use Dupeguru. Its not exactly advanced but does the trick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 e17photo

ok so where are we now ? whats the latest topic ? ;D

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com

Some v interesting, some disturbing photos. Good text to acvom7each set of photos to, give insight. Worth a browse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

That is a great interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

31b21a7e11eccc21182fdfd7004c77e6_original.jpg

Anyone found anywhere with a hot shoe version of this? Google isnt throwing one up but surely it must exist (they do for children).

Looks easy enough to make yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone found anywhere with a hot shoe version of this? Google isnt throwing one up but surely it must exist (they do for children).
    Tennis ball, string, hat. :)
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Punching-Tennis-Ball-handeye-coordination/

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Tennis ball, string, hat. :)

How do you take pictures if your hands are busy punching a tennis ball?

https://www.instagram.com/nikolator/

Amazing colourful abstract photos

Magnum print sale is on again. Good chance to buy a good print at a decent price.
    https://shop.magnumphotos.com/

• Advertisement

"Neural network gives your phone 'DSLR-quality' photos"

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/29/neural-network-fixes-phone-photo-quality/

Advertisement