Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Some photos from the 2015 National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest. Number 11 is stunning I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

dinneenp wrote: »
    Some photos from the 2015 National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest. Number 11 is stunning I think.

Number 2 for me. And 4 and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

There's only one day left to vote on the photo challenge and things are close at the top
    Come and vote
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057433806

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I can't see a thread for stupid questions, so I hope it's ok if I stick it in here.

The other evening I was playing around with a light meter, and with the in-built meter in my camera.

Anyway, with a 135mm lens, focusing on a particular object I adjusted the apperture and speed to centre the needle of the meter. I switched to a 35mm, and with the same settings the needle was centered. Then I put on my 50mm lens and had to open it up two stops to centre the meter.
    This got me thinking - is the light meter dependent on the lens, and it was just coincidental the 135mm & 35mm read the same, or should the metering be the same no matter what the lens, and there's something up with my 50mm lens?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

two stops sounds like a lot; was the scene uniform though?
    was the aperture you selected available on all lenses?

• Advertisement

Well, it was only in my sitting room at night, focusing on an unlit stove, so probably not the best scene to use. I might try it again in daylight when I get home. I suppose it just got me thinking, as I never did a direct comparison between lenses like that before.

I think I used f5.6 on all lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

noby wrote: »
    Anyway, with a 135mm lens, focusing on a particular object I adjusted the apperture and speed to centre the needle of the meter. I switched to a 35mm, and with the same settings the needle was centered. Then I put on my 50mm lens and had to open it up two stops to centre the meter.
    This got me thinking - is the light meter dependent on the lens, and it was just coincidental the 135mm & 35mm read the same, or should the metering be the same no matter what the lens, and there's something up with my 50mm lens?

There are a lot of variables here. In short, it shouldn't really depend on the lens assuming that you're metering off the same uniformly coloured thing. In practice however different lenses have fractionally different transmission ratios that will result in different TTL metering, and of course different lenses have different fields of view, and the (typically) matrix metering in the camera will make a judgement on what the correct reading is based on what it can 'see'. 2 stops sounds like a lot though. Were you moving the camera around between metering ? That's the most likely explanation.

If you have an external meter, you can check the incident reading for a given scene. It's easy to see that it's independent of whatever lens is stuck in front of the camera. Stills cameras don't, for the most part, bother with the transmission bit above because nowadays metering is almost all done TTL, but movie cameras generally have lenses marked in T-stops because those guys really REALLY care about getting their exposures spot on :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

More image theft. This time by Alive! magazine/bile filled rag. Nice response from the artist. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dina-Goldstein-Art/414446595787?fref=nf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There was a discussion of some photos on the BBC World Service at the weekend, early morning. I just can't remember programme or what the photos were about. Dammit, brain!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Does anyone have a good website to get a panorama printed? I'm not sure on what size I want just yet. I've seen a few and the prices seem to vary quite a lot. I'm definitely looking for the best price I can, as funds are tight.

• Advertisement

So I developed my first roll of film at home last night.

All went well, except only about a dozen frames came out. As I was loading the film on to the reel a little bit of the temporary cover I had over the window peeled away, so I presume that was the cause. Time to invest in a changing bag, or a better way of covering the window.

Anyway, besides that I'm happy with the way everything went, and the negatives that did develop look to be ok to me.

I can see how this could be the start of a slippery slope!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

noby wrote: »
    So I developed my first roll of film at home last night.

All went well, except only about a dozen frames came out. As I was loading the film on to the reel a little bit of the temporary cover I had over the window peeled away, so I presume that was the cause. Time to invest in a changing bag, or a better way of covering the window.

You absolutely need a changing bag, or the inside of a closet that you've also taped up, at night, in a room with the curtains closed. I goof around with deving paper and slow ortho film in a room with the windows taped up, but most film is just too sensitive. Plus it's a PITA during the summer waiting until after 11 to do anything :-D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

mary-ellen-mark-001_custom-3cbb1d504b3bfbbf9a47464e69d9744251b3a8ed-s800-c85.jpg

Can't say I'd seen this shot before.
    NPR coverage

It was my surprise 40th on Saturday night (not my 40th till July, surprise worked very well) and just wanted to share the stunning Pentax cake. Almost looks too good to eat!

682BEECE1C464AFEBF44F6FC75EE66EA-0000332953-0003773915-00640L-D8C179F9D7B54F5AB1C0EFA596C7A14B.jpg

F3EED7BDD08C4CE68F1CFAEAE8D5C6C9-0000332953-0003773914-00640L-05746AC9754E4A4FB44596D1C82AF099.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

mary-ellen-mark-001_custom-3cbb1d504b3bfbbf9a47464e69d9744251b3a8ed-s800-c85.jpg

Can't say I'd seen this shot before.
    NPR coverage

I've seen it. Interesting to see how she ended up. Thanks.

What's the deal with giving your camera (even a digital compact one) to family and results often coming out shaky? :o

What's the deal with giving your camera (even a digital compact one) to family and results often coming out shaky? :o

the deal? they don't know how to use it maybe? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Could you describe this "issue" more accurately (with more details) please?

Camera shake on their part. Think it was a combination of excitement, time pressure, pointing and clicking whilst being mindful there was a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

DCC exhibition opens tonight :) Missed it last year, looking forward to seeing all that work displayed!
    Photo_2015_poster_for_DCC_web.jpg
    Dublin City Library, Pearse St (open every day, except Sunday, until 25 July)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I do feel sorry for the guy but being a working professional without having insurance seems stupid and while backing up while travelling can be hard it really highlights the problem with having all of your files in one place.

I do feel sorry for the guy but being a working professional without having insurance seems stupid and while backing up while travelling can be hard it really highlights the problem with having all of your files in one place.

completely agree with you, I would do it even if my source of income didn't depend on it! Madness

Does insurance cost as much as he suggests, at professional level?

The US National Archives has released photos taken by Dick Cheney's photographer on September 11th, 2001.

When did DSLRs first come on the scene, early 2000s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The US National Archives has released photos taken by Dick Cheney's photographer on September 11th, 2001.

When did DSLRs first come on the scene, early 2000s?

I think there would have been some around but I dont think Canon released their first pro level DSLR until 2002 so probably still a lot of film being shot then.

I didn't get my first DLSR (canon 20D) until 2005

Some nice, funny street photography captured by Matt Stuart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have had the image below up for a few years now on Pix. I had found it on some Danish website a good while back and had meant to drop them an email asking them to remove it. Forgot all about it until this morning. Sent an email and got a reply back within an hour stating it had been removed and would be gone from the site by tomorrow. Apparently it was an upload from a user.

FB318592FB5B404DBAB4B7732FE6E5FB-500.jpg

http://www.studienet.dk/Opgaver/Philipskurven-220327.aspx

No harm to randomly check your images.

Advertisement