Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Viddy - not exactly roughing it, but its the the kickstarter self assembly pinhole camera

via popular photography

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/08/kickstarter-pinhole-camera-you-can-assemble-30-minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Might be an idea to get some photographers contributions on this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057263879

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Is there anywhere here, or maybe on other forums, that you can upload photos for critique / advice? I think I'd find it helpful for learning (and God knows I have a lot of learning to do!), but I'd be reluctant to start a new thread. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Is there anywhere here, or maybe on other forums, that you can upload photos for critique / advice? I think I'd find it helpful for learning (and God knows I have a lot of learning to do!), but I'd be reluctant to start a new thread. Thanks :)

Absolutely, you can post a thread and put "C&C" in the thread title - that will mean that people will provide constructive critique of the image. If you do a search and see what the kind of feedback is - you'll get an idea of whether you'd like to open one of your own.

There is also a new thread that already exists in the main forum opened with the intent of no holds barred critique. That is really for one shot at a time though, with posters adding images once one has been reviewed.

Critique is not permitted in the Random Photo thread, discussion is not encouraged rather it is preferred a separate thread is opened/or it is brought here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,368 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so, an interesting case - does the photographer have reasonable claim to copyright?
    Meanwhile, in January this year, British photographer David Slater attempted to get Wikipedia to take down a series of monkey selfies, claiming he owned the copyright. During a trip to Indonesia in 2011, he had left one of his cameras unattended and a crested black macaque managed to get hold of it and take a series of pictures which went viral.

But his attempt was rejected: “We received a takedown request from the photographer, claiming that he owned the copyright to the photographs. We didn’t agree, so we denied the request,” stated the Wikimedia Foundation’s first ever transparency report which was released today.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/google-removes-links-to-notorious-criminals-wikipedia-pages-9652516.html?origin=internalSearch

so, an interesting case - does the photographer have reasonable claim to copyright?

I don't think so tbh. I'd side with Wiki on this one, the monkey is technically speaking the copyright holder.

I've heard of similar cases in the past (potentially posted on here? ) where a studio assistant was the one pressing the shutter, and he eventually won a court case for copyright infringement as the photos he took at the time were ones used for an ad campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Why do cameras have ISO up to 12,800 or 25,600 when you get awful results/massive noise with them?
    Is it just a marketing thing or is there a potential scenario where you would/could shoot with max ISO?

dinneenp wrote: »
    Why do cameras have ISO up to 12,800 or 25,600 when you get awful results/massive noise with them?
    Is it just a marketing thing or is there a potential scenario where you would/could shoot with max ISO?

If you track the changes over the years, a Sony A7s at 409,600 ISO probably has visibly less noise than a 20D at 1600 ISO

The higher the upper limit, the better the mid-range becomes. So if 25,600 is a max on one camera, it's mid range is still way higher than the 1600 max on an older camera.

So what makes them stay and endure sexually aggressive photographers?

via the telegraph

Not tarring everyone with the same brush but you would wonder why it anecdotally appears to be so prevalent in the industry.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    So what makes them stay and endure sexually aggressive photographers?

via the telegraph

Not tarring everyone with the same brush but you would wonder why it anecdotally appears to be so prevalent in the industry.

I would love to have a go at modelling, just to see if I'd be any way suitable but things like these, and some of those awful purely sexual (not in the artistic way) would put me off completely.

I hate these periods when you're having a crisis of confidence in your photography and you wonder whether you should have bothered getting a camera in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

sup_dude wrote: »
    I would love to have a go at modelling, just to see if I'd be any way suitable but things like these, and some of those awful purely sexual (not in the artistic way) would put me off completely.

I hate these periods when you're having a crisis of confidence in your photography and you wonder whether you should have bothered getting a camera in the first place...

It definitely exists as an issue. I've worked with enough models, including Roswell Ivory in the Telegraph story (although I didn't know about her bad experience until the recent press stories), to have heard enough anectodes to believe so.

Checking references via direct contact with models is the best way to deal with this. Even as a photographer I've had models name names.

But it shouldn't put people off enjoying modelling or photographing models. In Ireland, the amateur community is relatively small. Everyone I've met so far has been really nice. News of not-so-nice people can spread like wildfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    It definitely exists as an issue. I've worked with enough models, including Roswell Ivory in the Telegraph story (although I didn't know about her bad experience until the recent press stories), to have heard enough anectodes to believe so.

Checking references via direct contact with models is the best way to deal with this. Even as a photographer I've had models name names.

But it shouldn't put people off enjoying modelling or photographing models. In Ireland, the amateur community is relatively small. Everyone I've met so far has been really nice. News of not-so-nice people can spread like wildfire.

Yeah, it was more of a passing fancy as a way to make money through college than anything serious and I didn't think it worth going through all the checking and stuff to go ahead with it.

Film through a Pentax 67.

Paris through a Pentax 67.
    http://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/104088954

Black Magic camera attached, filming through the Pentax viewfinder, pic here :
    http://www.pixelistes.fr/blog/paris-a-travers-un-pentax-67/

I had never heard of Miksang until today.

From wikipedia-
    Miksang is a Tibetan word meaning "good eye." It represents a form of contemplative photography based on the Dharma Art teachings of Chögyam Trungpa, in which the eye is in synchronisation with the contemplative mind. The result of this particular perception of the world, combined with photography, produces a peculiar and open way of seeing the world. Miksang pictures tend to[who?] bring the observer back into the original contemplation state of the author of the picture. The pictures can bring one back to a purer perception of reality that is often neglected. Miksang involves nothing fancy, no special setup; only a visual capture, in the proper state of mind, of everyday's reality.

Some examples here.

I'm happy that there's a term to this; a lot of the photos I take (and many others I'm sure) can now be called miskang.
    It's touched on in this talk.

That's great, it validates something I like :)

That's great, it validates something I like :)

It doesn't validate it but I'm happy to know the term.

You know what they say...... Where there's a will.... [there's a relative]. In this case not even a will but the relative still pops up.
    The story of the street photographer Vivian Maier has always been tangled — she worked much of her life as a nanny, keeping her artistic life a secret, and only after she died in 2009, at the age of 83, nearly penniless and with no family, were her pictures declared to be among the most remarkable of the 20th century. Now a court case in Chicago seeking to name a previously unknown heir is threatening to tie her legacy in knots and could prevent her work from being seen again for years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/06/arts/design/a-legal-battle-over-vivian-maiers-work.html?_r=2

An interesting twist and one to watch if following her legacy.

• Advertisement

My photos from The Croke Park Classic- link

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Pixie pic of the day goes to...CorkGurL. :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92259143&postcount=874

I had that shot too ya know.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

OldGoat wrote: »
    Pixie pic of the day goes to...CorkGurL. :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92259143&postcount=874

I had that shot too ya know.
    :o:D

I didn't know what the instrument was.. I googled but I failed, a friend figured it out - it's a harmonium!

Some great photos here of Hong Kong archeticture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

http://inspiretrends.com/photography-cheat-sheets-and-infographics-for-photographers/

From reddit - some tips and "cheat sheets"

Probably not too much here for pros, but plenty there for beginners / amateurs to learn

Found this on my Facebook today, I really like it.
    Richard Renaldi picks strangers from the crowd to pose for portraits together. The forced intimacy can stay awkward, but it also seems at times to break a barrier, and for a fleeting moment, the people seem to feel closeness, just as the pictures describe.
    http://youtu.be/SELDTUaHRxQ

Great comment from the reader at the end, that it looks like humanity as it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

A friend's plea from Limerick
    edit:
    Against the odds, all was returned!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

AnCatDubh wrote: »

Well that left a bad taste in my mouth. Using something like Eddie Adams shot to promote a brand is in bad taste to say the least. I note they "recreated" the shots, probably to avoid having to ask the original photographers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,368 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep. 'how do we use an image of a burning monk to sell more product?'

Advertisement