Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reception numbers, do I include the photographer?

Options
  • 06-08-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering when doing the final numbers for the hotel, do we include the photographer? Do we seat him with the guests and pay for his meal too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

It varies, but I would provide him with a meal from the bar rather than the function room.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Unless you want to I wouldn't assume you have to.

I'm not paying for other suppliers to have a meal. Photographers as far as I'm concerned are service providers not invited guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, you usually wouldn't seat the photographer unless he's an actual guest at the wedding. If the photographer is still there at mealtime, then he should be working, taking photos, etc, not sitting down eating :D

Often you would instruct/ask the hotel to provide the photographer with something to eat at the bar if he/she asks for it, but that's a courtesy more than a given. He's working, so he can write off the cost of his meals and travel for the day as expenses anyway. As Beer Baron says, he's a service provider, not a guest. You're not paying to feed the staff at the hotel or the band, so why the photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We had offered to ours but he chose to eat in the bar and organise some photos.

For the sake of a few euro, I think it's a nice gesture.

I was best man at a wedding and the photographer sat for the meal and every minute the fecker had his laptop on the table. My wife liked the photos but I swore he wouldn't be our photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Check the contract you have with him. Some state that they look fir a main course. It all depends on the length of time they are goinf to be there
    If they are doing from early morning until 10-11 at night then surely they would need to be fed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

As far as I'm concerned, videographer & photographer are getting paid expenses for travel, (it's included in their fee) so expenses covers feeding themselves too.

We may lay on a few sandwiches/tea coffee but that's it.

No chance Lance for a full meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

Cool, thanks guys. I just wasn't sure what was the norm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I'm Gona ask mine to eat with us, he's my friends brother and a great guy so I'd like to include him, it's a long day and we have booked him from the morning to the first dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Our photographer told us not to include him in the meal. He said that every hotel always makes extra dinners and that he is always offered one of these free of charge by the hotel.

So maybe check with your photographer first and see if he has any experience with your hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

In general, it depends on the service providor and where the wedding is.

There may not be bar food and be in the middle of nowhere and they have to eat, they could be working non-stop since 9am that morning.

Lot of guys just need a main meal and sit in the foyer. This is pretty standard.

Same with band, if you want them there to setup early and expect them to be there all day they have to eat, you dont have to pay for a full meal, which could be anything up to 100+ a head. A mains will do but you can discuss this with hotel. They don't need 75e unicorn steak with micro water cress shavings on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

We are planning to seat ours at dinner. To be honest, I just thought that was the norm. They're with us from 11am to 11pm, would feel awful turfing them out on the street for a few hours, or making them photograph us all while we eat and they pass out with hunger!! Never dawned on us not to. They haven't RSVPed though, so maybe it's not the norm and they didn't understand the gesture.
    There is no separate bar/ restaurant in our venue though, so I suppose it's a bit different to a hotel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kkcatlou wrote: »
    They haven't RSVPed though
    a 'yes, i would love to come to your wedding' reply from the photographer would be a bit redundant, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I had extra meals laid on for the photographer, videographer, and DJ just in case. Only the photographer ate his! :D

At the venue where I worked, it was stipulated in the contract that the caterer had to provide the event manager on the day and the security staff with meals. I'd check the contracts with the suppliers, just in case.

They will normally eat in the bar or a side room.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

chocaholic04 check with your photographer. As clint_silver said above - if you want someone to work for you from early morning till late night then they have to drink (water) and eat something.
    In my humble opinion if you didn't book any photographer yet then make sure in the future to talk about it with your photographer. Some photographers have such option in the contract, others might ask you to provide bar food and others would have short breaks and they will buy something to eat on their expense.
    Trust me, I'm a photographer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i think most couples are conscious of the hard work and long hours that are put in by photographers and videographers and provide food as a matter of course, I havent experienced anyone who object to this, but for the few who might I have it included in my service agreement that if i'm there over 5 hours that a meal be provided.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

My brother does photography and has done quite a few weddings. a few couples had told him that they would be seating him for the meal as he would be with them all day. He has always politely declined and said that he would look after himself, he just feels he wouldn't look professional sitting down with lots of people he doesn't know and scoffing their grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Being relatively new to the wedding photography business I cannot say for definite, but any wedding I have done I have been provided with at the very least a meal from the bar.

I do not expect it, and do not have it written into my contract. If it is offered I will gladly accept but outside of that I would sort myself out in the bar. Its a nice gesture but not necessary. This is of course unless you are having a function in the middle of nowhere where the only available option is the food that is being served to guests then I think it would be the correct thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

Thanks everyone, I'll sort something for him at the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Most of the time you do, but it all depends of the contract you sign with the photographer, but most cases you do offer meal. As I said before it all depends of the contract though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Just arrange with the bar to have any requests for food and drink by the photographer/band/dj/ etc put on your tab and mention it to the people. If they don't use it, no cost.

Always remember, you can judge an awful lot about someone by the way they treat service staff, photographers included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

There was no mention of food in the contract with our photographer. However, we were asked by the hotel were we ok to provide them with food and did we want to put a limit on it. We were ok with that and didn't bother with the limit, I didn't they'd abuse it and order lobster and Dom Perignon... I've no idea at what point they sneaked off and ate but they were with us most of the day from prep til well after the first dance. We certainly aren't missing any important photo moments.

Advertisement