Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Xzanti Congratulations on a huge accomplishment :-) and thanks for sticking around here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

realies wrote: »
    Xzanti Congratulations on a huge accomplishment :-) and thanks for sticking around here.

Thank you.. and how could I leave such wonderful company :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

xzanti wrote: »
    Sr6y1nDl.jpg?1
    Well done xzanti. You are a great example for us all to follow. Lots of luck to you and to all who visit this site on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marco2014

_lietome_ wrote: »
    4 months

How:

Antabuse; taking it every morning immediately as soon as I wake up to make sure I don't have time to reconsider. Worked flawlessly for four months, can see it working for the foreseeable future.

Also Campral for cravings helped tremendously for the first 3 months, stopped now

Are you still off it. Would love to try antabuse. It sounds like a plan I could stick to. A pill each morning? How did you get a doctor to prescribe it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

marco2014 wrote: »
    Are you still off it. Would love to try antabuse. It sounds like a plan I could stick to. A pill each morning? How did you get a doctor to prescribe it.?

I would like to know this too. My dr suggested it once but I was doing ok at the time. Six months later my gp had left and new gp refused it saying it could cause liver problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

hubba wrote: »

Brave article & I enjoyed it. You'll be ridiculed by people that don't understand but you knew that already :p just a reminder to not let them get to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Nineteen weeks sober today, the PAWS is receding (for the time being) and I'm managing my anxiety disorder better than I have in years.

Overall I feel better than ever :)

This is not a boast, this is first hand experience that it does get better, no matter how impossible it seems at times.

I still have a long way to go before I'll venture back to real life but I'm more confident than ever that it's possible.

Thanks to all the wonderful boardsies who've helped me though the hard times and the good and to those who are struggling, keep it up. It can beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi Gerb40 well done, Im posted a while ago, was thinking do I drink too much, analysed it, cut it right down, and feel way better, to me drink always chilled me, relaxed me, then it went the other way, too much was causing anxiety, only drink on a fri and sat now, and at that its 4 at a time, hate being drunk tbh, feel way better....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Day 6!

Giving up the alcohol for a number of reasons, firstly to save money. I tend to spend far too much on a night out and want to save for a deposit on a house so the alcohol has to go! Also, my hangovers are getting progressively worse and im so tired of wasting my weekends lying on the couch too sick to do anything.

I never really drink during the week, mostly on a Friday/Sat night.I am finding it hard to stay in and not go out on these nights. My friends and partner are pretty big drinkers and are not very supportive of this but I know I have to just rise above it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

statina wrote: »
    Day 6!

Giving up the alcohol for a number of reasons, firstly to save money. I tend to spend far too much on a night out and want to save for a deposit on a house so the alcohol has to go! Also, my hangovers are getting progressively worse and im so tired of wasting my weekends lying on the couch too sick to do anything.

I never really drink during the week, mostly on a Friday/Sat night.I am finding it hard to stay in and not go out on these nights. My friends and partner are pretty big drinkers and are not very supportive of this but I know I have to just rise above it!

Fair play to ya, you've a smart head on your shoulders..

And regarding your friends/partner, they will in time get used to it. They will probably admire you eventually so keep up the good work...

Thanks but I dont really! Im 28 now so its seriously time to cop on! Im sickened when i think of all the money I have wasted on drink over the past 10 years but at least I have seen the light now and not in another 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Just past my second weekend with no beer, next weekend being my birthday and all Ireland will be hard. Went doctor with health problems and he asked me about my lifestyle and basically blamed drink for my mental and pysical state.

Soccer startin back up has helped me the past weekends with matches on Sundays . Hopefully to stay off it this weekend! Might get a video game to keep me occupied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Why always me

Been reading the thread it's very interesting,and well done to everyone, I'm in my 30s I have a happy marriage and children, I'm involved with a gaa team and would be classed as one of the boys, but Im just realising drink does nothing for me, nothing positive happens after iv been on the lash, don't get me wrong the thought of not drinking is scary for some reason, but I know deep down I should never get drunk again,I'm not a daily drinker or anything near it really,I'm not the man you will see in a bar as the door opens, but I'm fond enough of it all the same, ill need to change quiet a few things in my life as all of the previous posters will know, but I'm really sick of the man i am when I'm drunk and the 2 day recoverys, iv a short fuse at the best of times so here's hoping I can stick this out, iv never attempted to go off it before so fingers crossed it solves a few issues,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Currently in college and nearly at the 10 month sobriety mark. Anyway I was talking to a few college peeps during the week about why I don't drink anymore (life was unmanageable and I had lost control over drinking! etc) anyway, one of the young ladies (I use that term loosely!) turned around and said: "I can't wait to see you relapse and go on an epic binge, I hope I'm around for that!"

I couldn't believe my ears! I was dumbfounded that someone would come out with something so cruel! I didn't give her the reaction she wanted and just said "aint gonna happen!" but it got me thinking that not everyone wants to see you happy and succeed, some want to pull you down and fail!

Must try to protect myself from these sort of people and don't allow myself be vulnerable in their presence. I shared a lot that exposed my feelings and experiences with the demon drink. I must realise that not everyone will be tolerant or have my best interests at heart. She is a friend of a friend who is nearly always around as they live together. Hard to avoid her!

Anyway my point after reflection is that maybe I should stop having to explain myself and tell people the whole ins and outs of why I don't drink. Only talk to the real, close and supportive friends I have so as not to be leave myself so vulnerable in such situations.

Currently in college and nearly at the 10 month sobriety mark. Anyway I was talking to a few college peeps during the week about why I don't drink anymore (life was unmanageable and I had lost control over drinking! etc) anyway, one of the young ladies (I use that term loosely!) turned around and said: "I can't wait to see you relapse and go on an epic binge, I hope I'm around for that!"

I couldn't believe my ears! I was dumbfounded that someone would come out with something so cruel! I didn't give her the reaction she wanted and just said "aint gonna happen!" but it got me thinking that not everyone wants to see you happy and succeed, some want to pull you down and fail!

Must try to protect myself from these sort of people and don't allow myself be vulnerable in their presence. I shared a lot that exposed my feelings and experiences with the demon drink. I must realise that not everyone will be tolerant or have my best interests at heart. She is a friend of a friend who is nearly always around as they live together. Hard to avoid her!

Anyway my point after reflection is that maybe I should stop having to explain myself and tell people the whole ins and outs of why I don't drink. Only talk to the real, close and supportive friends I have so as not to be leave myself so vulnerable in such situations.

What a stupid comment, maybe it can be put down to ignorance of youth, don't let it effect you, it's only one pleb

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Wow hope your ok. Some people so insensitive to other people's troubles and feelings and also ignorant of the facts.

For me I don't try to explain my problems other than to guys in AA as I feel I just get stigmatized but I do waste lot of time thinking of why I won't go here and there.

I guess this this life is a learning process.Congrats on the 10 months sobriety!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

It's Ireland. Most peoples reaction to telling them you don't drink is 'why, what's wrong with ya?'.

Yeah and sometimes it's like you have to justify that YOU ARE an alcoholic. Like some would look at you and say "sure you weren't even that bad!?" "we all get drunk like that" "you've never been in jail/psych ward so you can't be one?" I mean the level of ignorance is unreal.

On a positive note, went back into the rooms (of AA) tonight after a 4 month break. Felt good to have a focus and hope to continue with my home group twice a week for good.

• Advertisement

On a positive note, went back into the rooms (of AA) tonight after a 4 month break. Felt good to have a focus and hope to continue with my home group twice a week for good.

What's a home group ?

Its a group that you go to frequently above all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

A home group is where people get to know us too.

Lots of us have managed to avoid that, so being accountable to folks the same as ourselves is a new experience, lol ;)

One week down. Many more to go.

One week down. Many more to go.

Well done - how you feel so far ?

Well done - how you feel so far ?

Ahh its hard to tell yet. Im still trying to convince myself that i can wait off it. Especially when pressure comes on.but im pretty determined and i know its not worth it anymore. But i have a pretty big circle of social friends and family. For now im just telling them im off it to lose a bit of weight and get fitter. Lots of guys do that. So if i get past the first few weeks and months ill continue.

Day 1

Starting afresh. Was feeling fantastic as I had been off the drink 2 weeks and was full of energy and motivation. Work were putting on a free drinks event which I decided to go to but not drink. On the way there, I was thinking sure whats the harm in 1, feck it why not sorta thing. Ended up been out til early hours of the morning and im still hanging.

It was stupid in hindsight attending the free drink event, my willpower is far too fragile at this point to handle such occasions. Raging with myself but just have to let it go and start afresh!

Finding the website www.hellosundaymorning.org.au very helpful as well as this forum

Onwards and upwards from here!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Great to see all these new posters.. Most of us have had a few false starts.. I know I did.. I was off it for 6 months in 2011/12.. I gave it up under the guise of 'Saving for a Holiday'.. which I did, and we went on the Holiday and it was fantastic, but as soon as I was home and back to normal life I started my old routine again of going out every weekend or drinking wine at home.

Then in September 2012 I decided to really go for it, knowing what my triggers were, and what NOT to do, I was much better equipped for the journey.. and I haven't looked back.

We are all on a learning curve and each time we have a setback it is really just another lesson learnt and another step in the right direction.

Best of luck to everyone.

Nicely said xzanti

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote: »
    Great to see all these new posters.. Most of us have had a few false starts.. I know I did.. I was off it for 6 months in 2011/12.. I gave it up under the guise of 'Saving for a Holiday'.. which I did, and we went on the Holiday and it was fantastic, but as soon as I was home and back to normal life I started my old routine again of going out every weekend or drinking wine at home.

Then in September 2012 I decided to really go for it, knowing what my triggers were, and what NOT to do, I was much better equipped for the journey.. and I haven't looked back.

We are all on a learning curve and each time we have a setback it is really just another lesson learnt and another step in the right direction.

Best of luck to everyone.

Thanks we need it!

What were your main triggers? I'm trying to get to grips what a trigger is. Maybe as soon as you get to an airport you hit the bar. Is that one?

Sorry for all the questions but two more:
    1) what would say was the hardest part with abstaining from alcohol?
    2) what is the best thing you have got from it?

Advertisement