Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

GerB40 wrote: »
    Wow, even as I write this it's with some sense of disbelief but today marks my 50th day sober... I feel fantastic and more importantly, I feel determined to stay sober for another 50 days.
    Now I'm in no way qualified to council those who are starting (or considering starting) a new life without drink but if I could give advice to them I would say just f*ckin go for it.
    Those first tentative steps are the hardest. You'll feel like shít, you'll feel empty, you'll feel a lot of bad things but if you're mentally determined to quit the drink these won't matter because, as I recently found out, we all have an inner strength that drinking will convince you doesn't exist.
    When you're system is free from all the toxic shyte the difference is astonishing. I took the advice of several boardsies on this very thread and started exercising. All I can say is thank you folks. The advice I've received has been magic and I'll forever be in debt to you all..

Here's to another 50 days!!!
    Congrats and very well done to you. You describe very well the difficulties and discomforts in the early recovery days. I reckon that if you can muddle through the initial couple of months without being tempted to take up a drink you are half way there. Persistence, in my opinion, is the key to success: a determination that no matter what the day brings, you will refuse, point blank, to give in to temptation. Exercise and a proper diet, along with plenty of rest are also great supports, especially in the early days. Keep up the good work and best wishes to you and all out there in your quest for a better and sober life.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

5 years, keep going everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

200 Days! Feeling more self sure and confident as the days go by. Rarely think about drink, I have totally accepted I just can't. At the stage where everything is rosy and I could easily say, well one drink would be okay, sure what harm? But I know that it just isn't an option for me and I am okay with that. Once you accept something you can move forward and move onto bigger and better things.

Drinking now would only be a negative for me, it would never be a positive so why bother. Feeling stronger than ever before!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

At the stage where everything is rosy and I could easily say, well one drink would be okay, sure what harm?

An easy trap to fall into. Fell into it myself a few times with predictable results. Weddings etc are the things that trip me up. I gave up the drink entirely on my own and very few know I have a problem with it so people still buy me drinks or kind of force it on me at social events "ah go on, you will have a pint" "are you sick" that kind of thing. My solution now is to make excuses and avoid places where alcohol is served. Not at all an ideal solution, but it works for me. Don't give in to temptation, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Sober Too

20 years and 42 days , yes IT was a memorable day to stop,

Good Luck to any wanting out and I mean it, and I`ve done it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

One year off the Booze... (last week)...

I feel good and chuffed I've gotten this far... there was a lot of stops and starts over the years....

I can't say its all been plain sailing..... its a big change. I only realise how much my life revolved around the juice until it was gone. I feel a bit lost a lot of the time....

I hear after two years things become clearer...... heres to another year..

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

I gave up drinking for 2 years starting on March 3rd 2012, I really needed the break and to re-evaluate my life and feelings around alcohol as before then it was all getting on top of me and too much.

Have to say that now when I go out if its an event where I dont have the car i'll have a few shandys and thats all. I do enjoy them and stuck to them when on my stag a few weeks back. Its different for everyone and this works for me.

I dont have the urges any longer to get smashed drunk and be hungover. I know before I gave up I was on a serious path to self destruction but the break and getting my life and head straight really helped.

Anyway I do enjoy reading the stories on this site of people giving abstaining from alcohol a go and fair play to those who stay off it. The journey is different for everyone and your life is yours to decide how you want to live and approach it.

Best of luck to all!!!

Sober Too wrote: »
    20 years and 42 days , yes IT was a memorable day to stop,

Good Luck to any wanting out and I mean it, and I`ve done it.
    Coming up to eleven sober years myself and never regretted a second of my decision to reclaim my life. Well done Sober Too and I know you will agree with me when I say there is no intention by either of us for being smug or condescending. We simply wish success and happy and prolonged lives to all out there who make the decision to finally break free. Success to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

JonBon27 wrote: »
    I gave up drinking for 2 years starting on March 3rd 2012, I really needed the break and to re-evaluate my life and feelings around alcohol as before then it was all getting on top of me and too much.

Have to say that now when I go out if its an event where I dont have the car i'll have a few shandys and thats all. I do enjoy them and stuck to them when on my stag a few weeks back. Its different for everyone and this works for me.

I dont have the urges any longer to get smashed drunk and be hungover. I know before I gave up I was on a serious path to self destruction but the break and getting my life and head straight really helped.

Anyway I do enjoy reading the stories on this site of people giving abstaining from alcohol a go and fair play to those who stay off it. The journey is different for everyone and your life is yours to decide how you want to live and approach it.

Best of luck to all!!!

Really happy for you, and your experience is a good one to hi-light to others, that being: some can moderate alcohol and be fine! Not everyone has to go the road of absolute abstinence, but we have to be 100% honest with ourselves in discovering that. Sounds like you did exactly that and it's great to hear.

I know,(from multiple failed attempts at controlling my drinking over the years), that I cannot have even one drink. I have what AA refers to as "an allergy to alcohol" and whenever I take any into my system, "something happens" and I inevitably want more, more and more. Understanding the "physical allergy" and accepting what this meant went a long way to doing two things for me:

1. Explained all those truly weird (and sometimes scary i.e Blackouts, etc) episodes where I took a drink and the drink took me ;)

2. Allowed me to move on with my life at last, leaving alcohol behind. We had to part ways, and although I'll always love it- our relationship wasn't a healthy one. Been over 12.5 years now for me, and I am more grateful now than ever to be sober and free.

Discovering and accepting the truth about ourselves is so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

It's my 34th birthday today and I'm 6 months off the drink. I went to Pixies/Arcade Fire last night with my mates who were all drinking. I was a bit apprehensive but it was grand, I didn't miss half the songs queing for beer or the toilet and I was full of energy, even the walk home was grand. It felt like a milestone, not only the 6 month mark but going to a gig/festival in the sun and not drinking, I didn't think it was possible but I actually preferred it.

It hasn't all been plain sailing, I find a few times lately that a strange sadness comes over me for no reason. I don't know why, I was thinking that it has something to do with not getting out with friends as much and even when I do, if they are drinking and I'm not, it's not the same. I feel much better today after a great night last night, yesterday I was close to tears for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

It's my 34th birthday today and I'm 6 months off the drink. I went to Pixies/Arcade Fire last night with my mates who were all drinking. I was a bit apprehensive but it was grand, I didn't miss half the songs queing for beer or the toilet and I was full of energy, even the walk home was grand. It felt like a milestone, not only the 6 month mark but going to a gig/festival in the sun and not drinking, I didn't think it was possible but I actually preferred it.

It hasn't all been plain sailing, I find a few times lately that a strange sadness comes over me for no reason. I don't know why, I was thinking that it has something to do with not getting out with friends as much and even when I do, if they are drinking and I'm not, it's not the same. I feel much better today after a great night last night, yesterday I was close to tears for no reason.

You'll look back on this in years time as the defining moment in your sobriety. Seriously it's huge, I can't congratulate you enough..
    Of course you should be close to tears, you passed your first major test with flying colours so in future when you feel down just look back on the concert and realise you're up for the task..
    That is not to say it'll always be this easy (like you say) but perseverance and self belief will knock the fúck out of that bastard in the back of your head sayin you can't.
    Keep up the good work bud...

Edit: Regarding that sad feeling it's important to remember alcohol is a depressant and depending on how much/often you drank it could take years (if ever) to truly get past that sadness.
    Now this sounds much worse than it is because any doctor can prescribe medication to counteract that shít feeling so don't worry, (believe me, it works).

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Today is my 4th day. Feel very small and humble with all of you but still sense of achievement. Wed I stopped at off-licence and drove off again. Hope I will manage the whole week and take it from there

auldgranny wrote: »
    Today is my 4th day. Feel very small and humble with all of you but still sense of achievement. Wed I stopped at off-licence and drove off again. Hope I will manage the whole week and take it from there

Those earliest day are the toughest.. Fair play to ya. I seriously never thought I'd stop drinking, yesterday I was 9 weeks sober. Keep at it and the time will just fly.

Those earliest day are the toughest.. Fair play to ya. I seriously never thought I'd stop drinking, yesterday I was 9 weeks sober. Keep at it and the time will just fly.

Thanks for encouragement. I am finding it quite tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Thanks for encouragement. I am finding it quite tough.

Yes it is very tough auldgranny,and it will get tougher, there many good threads here in which may help you,have a read of them and keep posting any questions or problems,we all have been where you are now. :-)

realies wrote: »
    Yes it is very tough auldgranny,and it will get tougher, there many good threads here in which may help you,have a read of them and keep posting any questions or problems,we all have been where you are now. :-)

Feel a bit more energetic today can that be possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Of course, you will get plenty of highs and lows.For most people I talked to the first few days even though there the hardest were the most rewarding,Your whole body from the toes to the head seems to be feeling much better and moving in the right direction.

For a lot of people after the first seven days they feel so great that they forget why they stopped in the first place and head back into the cycle of drinking that got them to this stage.

Auldgranny it takes patience and hard work to beat this addiction,there are no easy ways to do it, get yourself a plan and put into place activities that you are interested in, here is a few tips that might be of use.remember the change in your lifestyle has to come from you for you,that's the priority.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68822432

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

realies wrote: »
    Of course, you will get plenty of highs and lows.For most people I talked to the first few days even though there the hardest were the most rewarding,Your whole body from the toes to the head seems to be feeling much better and moving in the right direction.

For a lot of people after the first seven days they feel so great that they forget why they stopped in the first place and head back into the cycle of drinking that got them to this stage.

Auldgranny it takes patience and hard work to beat this addiction,there are no easy ways to do it, get yourself a plan and put into place activities that you are interested in, here is a few tips that might be of use.remember the change in your lifestyle has to come from you for you,that's the priority.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68822432

Some tips:

Take up an activity/ hobbie, I find physical fitness to be the best, for me

Meet like minded people, or at the very lest, develop strong social supports

Get a counsellor/ therapist
    A group- some people find the likes of AA NA etc helpful.

Gain insight into your addiction, learn how to manage and what brings up triggers and cravings.

Monitor your thinking and behaviour, as a slip always happens here first, the alcohol/ drugs will follow afterwards

Rebuild your life in a more positive way, when you feel ready, start doing stuff you may not have done or contemplated doing before, it's very important to replace the addiction with something your enjoy, after all, the addiction was enjoyable for you at some point.

More than anything, do not attempt this journey alone, because it will in all likelihood not work out well

Feel a bit more energetic today can that be possible?

Ah yeah, I remember that. Around ten days in I felt better than ever and wondered what all the big fuss was about.. Don't let that feeling fool you. I'd love to be more encouraging and say it's all plain sailing from here but realistically I reckon you know that ain't the case.
    Now I don't go to meetings, haven't read books nor have I reached out to others for help. My thinking (and I could be wrong about this) is that it's my problem and I should deal with it myself. Don't take that as advice, it works for me but mightnt work for you but if I could sayone thing it would be, enjoy the good days, endure the bad days..
    And of course, stay strong. Boards is a great place to communicate with like minded people so remember, there will always be folks here to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Ah yeah, I remember that. Around ten days in I felt better than ever and wondered what all the big fuss was about.. Don't let that feeling fool you. I'd love to be more encouraging and say it's all plain sailing from here but realistically I reckon you know that ain't the case.
    Now I don't go to meetings, haven't read books nor have I reached out to others for help. My thinking (and I could be wrong about this) is that it's my problem and I should deal with it myself. Don't take that as advice, it works for me but mightnt work for you but if I could sayone thing it would be, enjoy the good days, endure the bad days..
    And of course, stay strong. Boards is a great place to communicate with like minded people so remember, there will always be folks here to help you.

You my find that there is far less bad days. If you have support around you

• Advertisement

dar100 wrote: »
    You my find that there is far less bad days. If you have support around you

Now that I think of it, I got plenty of great advice right here on boards so my previous post isn't completely true..
    I suppose my point is that even though support and help from others is great, the best (and most rewarding) change is all down to you and you alone..

Am disgusted with myself. 9 days I lasted and then I just drank. No reason, no cravings, no inner turmoil. Just consciously bought a bottle of vodka and drank it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Am disgusted with myself. 9 days I lasted and then I just drank. No reason, no cravings, no inner turmoil. Just consciously bought a bottle of vodka and drank it.

It's very important you try to turn that disgust into compassion. Imagine how you would feel towards a friend if they had a slip up then direct that empathy towards yourself. This is the only way out of it.

You CAN do this. Don't let your slip up grow a tail. You made a mistake. It's over, start again. Best wishes on your journey.

I haven't drunk any alcohol since New Year's Day this year now. My diet is woeful, like some sort of "compensatory" mechanism. I need to get on top of that, but haven't done so yet and my weight has only gone up since the initial 12kg loss in the first couple of months of the year. I probably don't feel strong enough yet to take that on too, but on it must be taken now.

It's still painful being in crowds at weddings/parties and completely sober and knowing that this is as good as it gets now. Painful is perhaps the wrong word. Acute sadness and, despite the support, isolation at being conscious that this is as good as life gets - no more escapism or romanticised bohemian associations with alcohol - is a more accurate description of how I feel. At this stage, that's a heavy thought, an ineffably heavy one.

Listening to the late Dermot Healy narrate In England to Iarla Ó Lionáird's haunting music a lot these days and it captures my mood... 'I remember anger. I remember loneliness, and sadness. I remember pure sadness. This is not any of those, some of all of them maybe, and more. What is more, though? There'll be no comfort in sleep or drink. It's like something's covering me that threatens my breath. It's like something's moving that would break things inside of me'

I have been avoiding social situations for the past few months because of my sobriety and that being my number one priority. I'm 221 days sober (7 months and a bit). The last few days have required me to be exposed to places (birthday party of my best friend) (funeral) (dinner reunion with old friends) that make me very uncomfortable as before hand I would have used the crutch of alcohol and without my crutch I feel very exposed and vulnerable. I realise I am actually a very shy, reserved individual at first until you get to know me and then I'm the complete opposite, basically my identity is all over the place, at times I don't even know who I am, am I the mad party animal or the quiet good boy in the corner? Still, I'm determined to win this war and keep myself sober as I am a better man without the demon drink, I achieve more and I am calmer and dependable!

In saying all of that I am hopeful, which I never really had when I was drinking. Hope. Such a simple word but gives me so much comfort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bill Lee

at times I don't even know who I am, am I the mad party animal or the quiet good boy in the corner? !

Ironically, I remember a poster ad for a whiskey company a few years ago that had the tag line "True character reveals itself over time" or something along those lines.

It's very true for people who stop drinking, imo!

As an aside, I thought it was such a horrible, cynical ad ploy....drink our whiskey and you'll become a wiser, deeper and more interesting person. As opposed to what most people become - a moronic loudmouth who doesn't know when to stop and wakes up the next day wishing they were dead.
    (Anyone remember whiskey hangovers? A whole new level of pain and self-loathing)

Bill Lee wrote: »
    Ironically, I remember a poster ad for a whiskey company a few years ago that had the tag line "True character reveals itself over time" or something along those lines.

It's very true for people who stop drinking, imo!

As an aside, I thought it was such a horrible, cynical ad ploy....drink our whiskey and you'll become a wiser, deeper and more interesting person. As opposed to what most people become - a moronic loudmouth who doesn't know when to stop and wakes up the next day wishing they were dead.
    (Anyone remember whiskey hangovers? A whole new level of pain and self-loathing)
    Yes, a particularly odious and painful hangover as all hangovers are, but with an extra hateful element that lingered for much longer than the usual types. Whiskey, for some reason unknown to me, is the worst of the poisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Johnny Cage

quinrea01 wrote: »
    Yes, a particularly odious and painful hangover as all hangovers are, but with an extra hateful element that lingered for much longer than the usual types. Whiskey, for some reason unknown to me, is the worst of the poisons.

Congeners( which are basically impurities from fermentation) are more prevalent in dark coloured drinks and it's these congeners which cause the hangovers.

Just in the door from a night out for a friend's birthday. It was so hard being out with everyone else drinking and the temptation was very strong! I nearly had a slip but refrained thankfully. It just goes to show you that I have no purpose or reason to be in pubs. I am fine when I am not around alcohol, I just get on with my life and have no cravings but once I'm in a restaurant or pub I am very exposed and vulnerable. I realised today that in future, going forward, to protect my sobriety I must stay clear from these places as the urge and want is too strong. Glad I have this forum to reflect and speak honestly about my thoughts and feelings. Hope everyone else's journey is going smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Just in the door from a night out for a friend's birthday. It was so hard being out with everyone else drinking and the temptation was very strong! I nearly had a slip but refrained thankfully. It just goes to show you that I have no purpose or reason to be in pubs. I am fine when I am not around alcohol, I just get on with my life and have no cravings but once I'm in a restaurant or pub I am very exposed and vulnerable. I realised today that in future, going forward, to protect my sobriety I must stay clear from these places as the urge and want is too strong. Glad I have this forum to reflect and speak honestly about my thoughts and feelings. Hope everyone else's journey is going smoothly.

I simply never go to pubs , I have no business there . Restaurants with family and friends absolutely no problem but the focus is on the food and the company .

On those rare occasions I do end up in the pub I now find them just so boring and I move on as soon as it is respectable.

Stick with it and soon enough your habits will change .

Advertisement