Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video games: now training terroists apparently

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I think Hitler and Napoleon got their bloodlust from videogames tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A good sign will be after a terrorist has killed someone they'll repeatedly teabag the victim while shouting "n00b!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

"terrorist kills 5 and teabags victims"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They do?? Jesus I'm surprised I havent been recruited by some terrorist cell the amount I kill myself in video games

That's because you kill yourself, I was recruited because I'm so good at killing other people! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The biggest terrorist operation in the world uses a video game to attract recruits.

It's pretty fortunate that those games are crap then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

FutureGuy wrote: »
    When I see satellite footage of 3 terrorists out the back of an airport hangar, where one repeatedly kills another while the third stands guard, then I'll start to get worried.

It's a clear sign that they are developing nuclear weapons.

I hear the UN's anti boosting policy is in full effect these days though, nothing a semtex lobbed in over a crate wont fix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Maybe if the terrorists played video games their anger would be sufficiently taken out against the virtual infidels.

Free Playstations and Xbox for Terrorists
    Miniature American flags for others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Why would they use MW2 to train? theres loads of buttons on a controller... sure suicide bombers only need the one...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

"Following this latest terrorist atrocity authorities have revealed that they have detained two suspects, believed to be a fat Italian plumber and a blue hedgehog." :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Didn't the U.S. military license games like DOOM to desensitise recruits to kill, because most soldiers would shoot to miss in previous combat situations?

You could be on to something, OP.

• Advertisement

I guess the old Microsoft Flight Simulators have a lot to answer for in regards to September 11th.

This was actually blamed in regards to how they learned to fly. I remember seeing "in depth" analysis on news reports of why this series should be banned. I didn't know those games had a "Hijack" mission where you get up out of your seat, take over the plane and slam it into something.

Maybe they're pointing out how the terrorists were getting one back because the Russians were hacking in a COD Team Deathmatch and absolutely nothing to do with past conflicts between regions / religion at all

Sure, don't blame the security lapse in the airport.

C'mon, though.. who didn't enjoy the sh*te out of mowing down the fleeing masses in that airport bit? Particular fun taking out the poor saps dragging the wounded with them!

It was sick as Fu*k but non the less brilliant stress relief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    Didn't the U.S. military license games like DOOM to desensitise recruits to kill,

Yeah, it was part of the training for the Great Brown Imp War of 1995.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Why does anyone even play these games anyway? They're fcuking retarded.

Yeah, it was part of the training for the Great Brown Imp War of 1995.

So many good space marines gave their lives during the Shores Of Hell and the ensuing Inferno conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

games don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people.

violent video games aren't going to turn normal people into killers, any more than NOT playing video games will turn mentally unhinged psychopaths into well adjusted normal people.

They are great for letting off steam and their multiplayer components are fiercely competitive and a sh*t load of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

The Nazis obviously got all their training playing Castle Wolfenstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

vibe666 wrote: »
    games don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people.

violent video games aren't going to turn normal people into killers, any more than NOT playing video games will turn mentally unhinged psychopaths into well adjusted normal people.

Here we go with the cliches again.

"Better to have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it!"
    "Better to bet judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Blah, blah, blah!

"These colours don't run!" Blah!

"Violent games aren't going to turn someone into a violent person anymore than NOT playing games are going to turn a psychopath into a perfectly sane person"

Did you read that before you hit the submit button? Because it has to be the most stupid statement I've ever read in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

how do you spend your time? watching football? retarded. stamp collecting? retarded. chess? retarded.

opinions are like a'rseholes buddy...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

opinions are like a'rseholes buddy...

He obviously has a superior asshole that smells of roses. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Here we go with the cliches again.

"Better to have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it!"
    "Better to bet judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Blah, blah, blah!

"These colours don't run!" Blah!

"Violent games aren't going to turn someone into a violent person anymore than NOT playing games are going to turn a psychopath into a perfectly sane person"

Did you read that before you hit the submit button? Because it has to be the most stupid statement I've ever read in my life.

I suppose you're going to trot out the line "violence never solved anything"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Ive been playin first person shooter games since I was a wee thing.

I have yet to contemplate mass murder, suicide bombing, hijacking cars or fleecing hookers.

I have got good hand eye co-ordination tho!

A lot of levels in games reflect stuff that has happened/will happen in the future, doesnt mean it causes it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Well considering that Un-maned Air Vehicle's are controlled by Xbox controllers its no wonder that they blame gaming on bringing terrorists. :pac:

http://www.pyrosoft.co.uk/blog/2007/11/04/army-fly-uav-spy-plane-with-xbox-360-controller/

In all fairness, September 11th 2001 had a massive effect on all the world.

Modern Warfare 2 came out on 11th November 2009. To say that is to blame for terrorism is completely stupid. Terrorism has been around for along time before games even came out. Are people going to say next that GTA fueled the IRA bombing campain's?

Is it to blame for the bombing of the Scottish Airport in 2007? No.

The media is always going to look for a scapegoat for terrorism. This month it will be games, next month it will be a TV show like Criminal Minds or CSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I wouldn't mind it so much if they banned all of the call of duty games. Most of them are crap anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I wanted to punch a cow after playing red dead redemption. Right in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Did anyone point out to these people that you can get shot multiple times without being killed in COD? It's about as useful for training as Mario would be to plumbing. If anything it's teaching you to be a worse terrorist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind it so much if they banned all of the call of duty games. Most of them are crap anyway

:eek: Whatever about the modern ones, but you can't possibly think that CoD 1 and 2 are bad! Those were absolutely excellent games, the best WWII singleplayer campaigns I've ever played in any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What I want to know, is what game was Hitler & Stalin playing? I bet it was something by Infinity Ward.

Oh, and I haven't killed anyone since I started playing video games. Up until that point, I was killing once per month on average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Does that mean they are hiring?

Advertisement