Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video games: now training terroists apparently

Options
  • 25-01-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/russian-media-points-to-moscow-airport-attack-in-u-s-video-game/

Nothing like a bit of media hysteria, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is getting blamed for "influencing" the suicide bombing in a Russian airport recently. Those dastardly games developers, clearing being funded by the nwo to train people to carry out terrorist attacks with the xbox joypads.

Why does the media keep creating scapegoats? Modern Warfare 2 was released in November 2009, suicide bombings have been happening for years. Did life imitate art or the other way around? This is the "No Russian" level in question if anyone hasnt seen it before, it garnered a ton of controversy on the games release:

I thought this was a bold inclusion to put in a video game, remember this is an adult rated game, marketed to adults, not kids. Kids play it because their parents buy it for them. This basically put you in control of a terrorist (really an FBI agent under cover, but that becomes part of the bigger plot of the game) who is part of a massacre in a Russian airport, orchestrated by a terrorist who wants to ignite the flames that will lead to Russia declaring war on and invading the US. Its all very Tom Clancy stuff, its not meant to make you feel good shooting people (you also have the choice not to, errrr, the guy playing in the video doesnt go with this choice)

So are video games to be blamed for all the evils in todays society?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

You could say that Monopoly has a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Well unless the terrorists walked slowly though the airport with NO option to speed up then it was nothing like real life.

Worst over hyped scene ever!

Computer games don't affect kids...I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, We'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yes, because nothing horrible has ever happened anywhere in the world without the influence of videogames.

Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I knew MW2 would be brought up at some stage when i first heard this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

They always do it, and everyone gives kids the games still. Ive seen a 8 year old in Gamestop pre-ordering Black Ops a while back.
    Sure wasn't Doom blames for the columbine massacre?

Don't really see the connection with suicide bombing really, Theres no skill to be learned in that game, its just go in guns blazing.
    their not being shown how to make and conceal bombs or anything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I guess the old Microsoft Flight Simulators have a lot to answer for in regards to September 11th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

They do?? Jesus I'm surprised I havent been recruited by some terrorist cell the amount I kill myself in video games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

should ban all video games and also rap/rock music - Back in my day we didnt have half what the kids have now and now they're all spoilt and fat little terrorists!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

if thats the case, then the british army should be to blame,
    they made those ads showing their officers using xbox controllers to fly their uavs and what not.

therefore they gave terrorists the idea to use games to learn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That part of the game was great. I was worse than the real terrorists. They would just walk past wounded people lying on the ground whereas I riddled the fúckers. Such a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

I've clocked my fair share of hours on that game an never felt the need to blow sh*t up, me along with millions of others who play the game non-stop. there talkin out their arse tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Oranage2 wrote: »
    should ban all video games and also rap/rock music - Back in my day we didnt have half what the kids have now and now they're all spoilt and fat little terrorists!!!

[Thinks what music was like pre 90's]

You've got point

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BASHIR wrote: »
    I've clocked my fair share of hours on that game an never felt the need to blow sh*t up, me along with millions of others who play the game non-stop. there talkin out their arse tbh.

It's just the latest thing the media like to blame. In the 80's/90's it was rock/metal music and action films. Of course it's not the people who did this who are responsible for it it's gotta be something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Simple facts:

- The media will spin entertainment products (games, but even movies) and blame them for horrific real-world acts. So guillible people will believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

It's just the latest thing the media like to blame. In the 80's/90's it was rock/metal music and action films. Of course it's not the people who did this who are responsible for it it's gotta be something else.

Thats true the media couldnt give a flying f**k just something to get people talking subscribing and buying papers imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I played loads of video games as a kid and can safely say it didn't make me violent.

Actually i'd say if anything it made me more chilled out, most of the time I just like to relax, eat a few magic mushrooms and stomp on my pet turtles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

They should just equiped the airport security with riot shields....it takes for ever to get by them ;)

Bull ****. Will they stop children reading the bible as it mentions damnation of homosexuals, they should ban tom & jerry or children will start cutting each other up with sheers leaving nothing but a pair of startled eyeballs hovering mid air, or road runner as they will start dropping acme anvils on poor birds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Can't you use that very same arguement then about counter terrorists, or raising alertness and such..?

It's not even a new phenomenon. I used to play Mortal Kombat II when I was 10 and never once felt the urge to go up to someone and slice their head off. Yet everyone was going on about it as if it was the most vile game ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

From what I recall, a patch was released for the Russian version of the game removing the level in question.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Eh, They have been using Video Games to recruit and train Terrorists for ages now

http://www.americasarmy.com/downloads/

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Hitler was mad into Streets of Rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Speaking of Mw2 can anyone unhack all the lobbys please it's pretty fúcking ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I heard Atilla the Hun was raised playing Operation Wolf!

=> Q.E.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Yes I learned how to drive from practicing Grand Turisomo.....

What a load of cockandbull

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Playing Super Mario Bros. for so long may have a detremental effect on me. Tomorrow I could be eating mushrooms, thinking I'm invincible, stomping on people's heads, and trying to crawl down their pipes.............where will it stop then!?!

Life was so much nicer before Mortal Kombat came along and corrupted our society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The biggest terrorist operation in the world uses a video game to attract recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Was the article written by the noted Russian journalist Alisona Oriordanski?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Ban everything. Movies, music, games, books, everything. Theyre all a potentially harmful influence. I mean i read the bible once and almost felt compelled to kill my own brother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

When I see satellite footage of 3 terrorists out the back of an airport hangar, where one repeatedly kills another while the third stands guard, then I'll start to get worried.

It's a clear sign that they are developing nuclear weapons.

Advertisement