Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 25th is the date!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

MrStuffins wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be viewing this election the wrong way.

It's not all about kicking these guys out, it's about putting the right people in their place.

If we vote in the right people aren't we kicking the current lot out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

Would it be possible to vote for foreign overlords?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

easyeason3 wrote: »
    So out of all the keyboard warriors on here how many of you will actually challenge the canvassers on the street/ doorstep?

It's well & good posting about training dogs to attack or making references to tar & feathers but I'd love to know how many will follow through.

Well the dog bit was a joke, that would be clear to a shaved monkey. I can promise you however, if any of them do make it to the door they will be questioned at length about their performance in recent years (what ever shade of politics they may be).

In fact, i think anyone who would not do that or would refuse to vote would simply be an idiot (in the original Athenian meaning of course ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Yay, it's not on my birthday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Well the dog bit was a joke, that would be clear to a shaved monkey. I can promise you however, if any of them do make it to the door they will be questioned at length about their performance in recent years (what ever shade of politics they may be).

In fact, i think anyone who would not do that or would refuse to vote would simply be an idiot (in the original Athenian meaning of course ;)).

I am not a shaved monkey but I did get you were joking. But the amount of people I hear saying that they are going to do this, that or the other is beginning to get on my nerves.
    By all means if you or anyone else have questions you want answered then ask them. In fact I'd enjoy being a fly on the wall for some of those conversations just to see people squirm.

But it's the idiots who think they have a green light to act the knacker that bug me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I am not a shaved monkey but I did get you were joking. But the amount of people I hear saying that they are going to do this, that or the other is beginning to get on my nerves.
    By all means if you or anyone else have questions you want answered then ask them. In fact I'd enjoy being a fly on the wall for some of those conversations just to see people squirm.

But it's the idiots who think they have a green light to act the knacker that bug me.

I didnt refer to you as a shaved monkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I didnt refer to you as a shaved monkey.

I never said you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is a situation like this.

We are all going to forget about Fianna Fail, as they have done enough.

Now we must sit back and look at the other parties and choose who gets our vote, that is a more difficult decision.

As much as Labour come across as slightly amateur in their approach i infact think this is a good thing.

Unlike Fine Gael they aren't smug, and don't come across as dangerous.

They would offer a fresh breeze into Irish politics without the extremes of Sinn Fein.

The whole Finance Bill is that the constraints must be agreed or else Ireland will lose their finance.

Simple as, some aspects of the finance bill must be passed for our future, much of it will be re appraised after an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I will now commence my German Shepherds on a special diet, from now until the end of February it will consist of Politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Serious hat on here.

Have been thinking about strategic voting. Its very more than likely that we are going to have another coalition goverment. So it could be a case of a party you want in thats going to keep an eye on the majority.

So not sure if anyone has given this thought, or ever done this, or how it would even work. But rather than give your first preference to the party you want to win outright, give it to the party that you would like to come in as the coalition party.

For example. Say I want party A to win outright, but party B to get on on the coalition. My 1st preference goes to party B, knowing they will never get enough to win, but if they get enough votes they could have a say or an influence. My second prefence or even lower goes to party A, knowing there will always be enough voting for them to give them a majority, and my lower vote should not make much of a difference.

Only two negitives I can see so far is (i) may not work if you vote with the local constituancy in mind, rather than national, and (ii) if everyone done this, the party that you only want to keep an eye on things could end up winning and be out of their depth.

Well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pick the best of a bad bunch eh, cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

If mike65 stands, I shall vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm actually terrified of SF getting into power even if it is just as the junior party of a coalition

Fine Gael-Labour coalition it is! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

punchdrunk wrote: »
    I'm actually terrified of SF getting into power even if it is just as the junior party of a coalition

Why is that?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Why is that?.

Never trust bearded Marxists.

Why is that?.

mostly to do with their questionable economic policies,I don't like the fact that they are anti EU (nevermind whatever they tell to the contrary)
    and on a personal level I simply don't trust them to be a transparent organisation (granted none of our parties are)
    I also don't think it will do our internatinal reputation any good
    for most people in the UK/US

Sinn fein = IRA

there's no getting away from that perception,how will this effect trade if the outlook,however flawed is that Ireland is being governed by ex terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Why is that?.

Who the **** wants a party in power who's main focus seems to be a segment of another country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I wouldnt put it past them but I think FF could rig this election.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I wouldnt put it past them but I think FF could rig this election.

I think your hugely over estimating their talents to organise anything ;)

an exception being Barbecues! i'd trust Brian to flip the odd burger...he looks like a man who knows how to handle a grill...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

whiteonion wrote: »
    Would it be possible to vote for foreign overlords?

The Tunisia ex government will be looking for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

How would one train a 50kgs German Shepard to attack one of these canvassers on sight?

I've got a few of them and it's no problem. You know how intelligent the breed is, so a dimwitted politician has no chance. You could also put some posters up, so they'll walk in and receive a nice 'warm' welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

phasers wrote: »
    Is there still time for people to register? Don't you have to register a certain number of days before the election?

Whatever your opinions guys, i think everyone should at least vote so you might need these:

To check if you are registered: http://www.checktheregister.ie/

For info on registering to vote: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

Apologies if this is too sensible a post for AH!
    Eimear

Advertisement